How does crimping work? - Page 2

Re: How does crimping work?

**We're discussing CRIMP terminals. Like this:

http://www.ami.ac.uk/courses/topics/0119_crmp/index.html

Copper is the material, not brass.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: How does crimping work?

Heavy duty electrical ones may be - but the most common ones like in
computers and cars are brass.

--
*He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

    Dave Plowman         snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk           London SW
Re: How does crimping work?

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 00:46:08 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

:> > Depends on the use. I'd say the most common crimp terminals are in
:> > some form of spring loaded contact.
:
:> **We're discussing CRIMP terminals. Like this:
:
:> http://www.ami.ac.uk/courses/topics/0119_crmp/index.html
:
:> Copper is the material, not brass.
:
:Heavy duty electrical ones may be - but the most common ones like in
:computers and cars are brass.

Aha! Now you have finally made the distinction in your argument...

Commonly used terminals in the whitegoods and automotive areas (ie. QC crimp
terminals) are indeed made of brass. But that is about the limit of use for this
material. When it comes to electrical crimp lugs, spade terminals etc, then the
lug/terminal material is always copper, unless you are using aluminium
conductors where the terminal material will be aluminium.

Take a look at the Utilux catalogue (small insulated and un-insulated terminals)
http://www.utilux.com.au/pdf/4.pdf and you will see mentioned at the top of
several pages the material is electro-tinned copper. Only the QC tabs are brass.

Re: How does crimping work?

Made it pretty well from the start. As I got the impression the OP wasn't
talking about heavy duty power connections.

Almost anywhere you go, there will be more crimped terminals which aren't
copper - as they are sprung as part of a plug and socket arrangement. Many
inside your computer, for a start. TV as well. Etc.

--
*If you ate pasta and anti-pasta, would you still be hungry?

    Dave Plowman         snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk           London SW
Re: How does crimping work?

Phosphor bronze or beryllium copper are the springy metals in common
use (it may LOOK like brass...).   A well-made crimp requires lots of
thought about materials.  Commonly, copper stranded cable works, a
copper stranded
cable with a couple of SS strands works, a copper solid cable of the
same gage doesn't work... and don't even TRY to crimp to a SS
cable with 'electronic' tools and lugs.

Even the professionals get it wrong sometimes (Al wire is just fine
with
the right electrode paste and crimp lugs, but has a bad reputation).
When amateurs get 'kits' and pliers at the dollar store, the result
isn't
pretty.

Re: How does crimping work?

In article

Could well be - I've not had it analyzed. But it certainly doesn't look
like copper. ;-)
Of course it could be all these sort of things are copper in the US. I can
only speak for the ones I'm familiar with in the UK.

--
*It ain't the size, it's... er...  no, it IS ..the size.

    Dave Plowman         snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk           London SW
Re: How does crimping work?

Spade connectors have to have different properties to lugs because they
rely on spring tension for electrical continuity but proper bolt on lugs
are usually copper for copper cables, aluminium for aluminium cables.

http://www.zeetaelectricals.com /

Re: How does crimping work?

Yes - I did ask if 'lug' had a special meaning in this context.

I just sort of assumed the discussion was more about electronic terminals
than heavy duty power distribution. Hence my reference to computers, etc.

--
*I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth

    Dave Plowman         snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk           London SW
Re: How does crimping work?

Agreed. But I've a feeling 'lug' is used as a very broad term.

--
*It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.

    Dave Plowman         snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk           London SW
Re: How does crimping work?

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 23:54:12 +1100, Sylvia Else

Because the wire bundle inside the crimp also rebounds?

Interesting NASA paper that may shed some light:
<http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20080013394_2008012901.pdf

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA

Re: How does crimping work?

Rich Webb a crit :
<http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20080013394_2008012901.pdf

Interesting.
And the FEM simulation vs measurement paragraph is somewhat impressive.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Re: How does crimping work?

It probably does, but the wide bundle is being subject to compression,
whereas the connector is subject to both compression and bending. I'd
expect a certain degree of unbending when the compression is released.

Sylvia.

Re: How does crimping work?

There may be some expansion on release of the crimping pressure but the
interior of the crimp junction is still under pressure.

Regards ........ Rheilly P

Re: How does crimping work?

Having the correct crimp tool is essential for good results.

--

    Dave Plowman         snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk           London SW
                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: How does crimping work?

The crimp wire squishes the corners of the pin so intensely,
that a gas-tight connection forms, 4 for each winding.
That makes a very reliable connection.
But only if you do the wrap correctly.

Re: How does crimping work?

I think you're referring to wire wrapping, which is something else.

Sylvia.

Re: How does crimping work?

It's the case too with a properly made crimp. Which very few are outside
of the factory. There's no such thing as a universal crimp tool - each
connector and cable requires a special for the very best results.

--
*Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.*

    Dave Plowman         snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk           London SW
Re: How does crimping work?

**A properly sized crimp (to the wire size), used with a quality crimp tool,
used correctly, will ensure an excellent, gas tight connection. Better, in
fact, than a soldered joint.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: How does crimping work?

Friction, then chemical, and maybe a bit of adhesion.

Re: How does crimping work?

BTW, I'm seeing huge variation between lug types (same colour -
different brand). I bought some fully insulated ones - and could pull
them all off with no difficulty. The ones I had in my stock from way
back either failed by tearing the conductor - or had a strength
exceeding mine, and didn't fail.

At least there was some consistency - lugs out of the same box performed
the same as each other.

The crimping tool has a 'pressure' setting, but comes with no guidance
on how to decide which pressure to use.

Sylvia.

Site Timeline