How does crimping work?

The obvious answer is that you bend the metal of the connector so that it holds the wire in place.

This doesn't seem very satisfactory. Metal always retains some flexibility, even when bent beyond its yield point. No matter how hard you squeeze, there'll be some rebound when you release the pressure, which should result in a loose joint.

After having had a bad experience trying to crip a lug some years ago, I recently faced the need to do this again. So I bought a moderately expensive ratchet based crimping tool. And, rather to my surprise, it actually works.

But that doesn't answer the question of how.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Usually the conductor is the same metal as the lug, it will have the same memory so if it is all squished it should stay there.Expanding and contracting in use at the same rate. (maybe)

Reply to
F Murtz

Because the wire bundle inside the crimp also rebounds?

Interesting NASA paper that may shed some light:

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Rich Webb a écrit :

Interesting. And the FEM simulation vs measurement paragraph is somewhat impressive.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Most connectors are brass - to give more strength. Cable usually copper.

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Having the correct crimp tool is essential for good results.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

crimp lugs are usually copper for copper wire

Reply to
F Murtz

The crimp wire squishes the corners of the pin so intensely, that a gas-tight connection forms, 4 for each winding. That makes a very reliable connection. But only if you do the wrap correctly.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Perhaps lug means some special terminal in the US?

But most of the crimped terminals you come across - like say in a car or computer - are brass, but sometimes plated.

--
*If you\'re not part of the solution, you\'re part of the precipitate *

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Cite a reference.

Reply to
PeterD

Try cutting one open.

--
*How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink? *

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

**Only cheap, crappy crimps are brass. For copper wire, crimps should be copper.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

**A properly sized crimp (to the wire size), used with a quality crimp tool, used correctly, will ensure an excellent, gas tight connection. Better, in fact, than a soldered joint.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Depends on the use. I'd say the most common crimp terminals are in some form of spring loaded contact. And those tend to be made of brass because it is stronger than copper, so gives a better contact.

--
*How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink? *

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

**We're discussing CRIMP terminals. Like this:

Copper is the material, not brass.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Phosphor bronze or beryllium copper are the springy metals in common use (it may LOOK like brass...). A well-made crimp requires lots of thought about materials. Commonly, copper stranded cable works, a copper stranded cable with a couple of SS strands works, a copper solid cable of the same gage doesn't work... and don't even TRY to crimp to a SS cable with 'electronic' tools and lugs.

Even the professionals get it wrong sometimes (Al wire is just fine with the right electrode paste and crimp lugs, but has a bad reputation). When amateurs get 'kits' and pliers at the dollar store, the result isn't pretty.

Reply to
whit3rd

That tells you nothing about the metal... Again, cite a reference.

Reply to
PeterD

It probably does, but the wide bundle is being subject to compression, whereas the connector is subject to both compression and bending. I'd expect a certain degree of unbending when the compression is released.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Heavy duty electrical ones may be - but the most common ones like in computers and cars are brass.

--
*He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you know the colour of copper?

--
*Forget the Joneses, I keep us up with the Simpsons.