How does crimping work?

The obvious answer is that you bend the metal of the connector so that
it holds the wire in place.

This doesn't seem very satisfactory. Metal always retains some
flexibility, even when bent beyond its yield point. No matter how hard
you squeeze, there'll be some rebound when you release the pressure,
which should result in a loose joint.

After having had a bad experience trying to crip a lug some years ago, I
recently faced the need to do this again. So I bought a moderately
expensive ratchet based crimping tool. And, rather to my surprise, it
actually works.

But that doesn't answer the question of how.

Sylvia.

Re: How does crimping work?

Usually the conductor is the same metal as the lug, it will have the
same memory so if it is all squished it should stay there.Expanding and
contracting in use at the same rate. (maybe)

Re: How does crimping work?

Most connectors are brass - to give more strength. Cable usually copper.

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites?

    Dave Plowman         snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk           London SW
Re: How does crimping work?

crimp lugs are usually copper for copper wire

Re: How does crimping work?

Perhaps lug means some special terminal in the US?

But most of the crimped terminals you come across - like say in a car or
computer -  are brass, but sometimes plated.

--
*If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate *

    Dave Plowman         snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk           London SW
Re: How does crimping work?

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 17:56:29 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Cite a reference.

Re: How does crimping work?

Try cutting one open.

--
*How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink? *

    Dave Plowman         snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk           London SW
Re: How does crimping work?
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 18:28:28 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

That tells you nothing about the metal... Again, cite a reference.

Re: How does crimping work?

Do you know the colour of copper?

--
*Forget the Joneses, I keep us up with the Simpsons.

    Dave Plowman         snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk           London SW
Re: How does crimping work?

Good grief... Cite a reference..  How is a reference better than actually
having the item in hand. I say the reference is any piece of equipment that
has crimps in it.  Anyhow.. Someone happened to cite the needed info..

Re: How does crimping work?

I've asked several times, and he's avoided doing so. Mainly because
he's off on cloud nine, with no idea what he's talking about.

I suspect everyone else knows that bronze is much too brittle to use
as a crimp on connector, but Dave hasn't gotten that far yet.

Re: How does crimping work?

It is possible that some spade connectors are made out of phosphor
bronze (especially the ones used in heating devices like stove elements)
but the discussion was about crimp lugs

Re: How does crimping work?

Somebody probably ought to let the manufacturers know about that!
<http://documents.tycoelectronics.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/DDEController?Action=srchrtrv&DocNm17%75442&DocTypeCD%&DocLang=EN
<http://www.hirose.co.jp/cataloge_hp/e54300012.pdf
<http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/503948100_sd.pdf
... and lots of others, of course.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA

Re: How does crimping work?

So we can add bronze to brass as metals you can't tell the difference from
copper?

--
*A fool and his money are soon partying *

    Dave Plowman         snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk           London SW
Re: How does crimping work?

Who said bronze? Cite a reference!

Re: How does crimping work?

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 00:47:44 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

OK, so clearly you don't have a clue, no evidence or facts to base
your lame assertion on, so...

Re: How does crimping work?

I know what copper looks like. Clearly, you don't.

--
*How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?

    Dave Plowman         snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk           London SW
Re: How does crimping work?

http://nz.farnell.com/tyco-electronics-amp/0-0165536-1/crimp-terminal-pidg-faston-positive/dp/4215631

Re: How does crimping work?

**Only cheap, crappy crimps are brass. For copper wire, crimps should be
copper.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: How does crimping work?

Depends on the use. I'd say the most common crimp terminals are in some
form of spring loaded contact. And those tend to be made of brass because
it is stronger than copper, so gives a better contact.