how do the soft buttons on a TV remote work?

I have an AC remote that has one dodgy button - It is one of those soft
rubbery buttons that press on the circuit board beneath. The button works
when I "press" it's section on the board with another rubber button from
another location on the remote but not with its own - As all the buttons are
cast together I cant swap them around - My tests show that the rubbery part
is at fault but I dont know how they work - is it just some form of
conductance through the rubber? can I fix it?
Thanks
Wayne

Re: how do the soft buttons on a TV remote work?

Yeah, WES sells a little pot of the paint you put on the bottom of the
rubber button. Jaycar might be able to help, though nothing turned up on
their website from what I searched for.

Re: how do the soft buttons on a TV remote work?

give it a firm wipe with a clean cloth to expose
more conductive material.

Re: how do the soft buttons on a TV remote work?

Do what Mark said first...  Also, some people use a pencil rubber.  I
often find remote buttons have gunk on them (even if you can't see it)
from the oil from people's skin.  It works its way in/under there over
time.  I usually wipe the underside of the rubber buttons with
alcohol/glass cleaner.  As you can tell, it's all the same sort of
thing.

Pressing the other button in, is completing a circuit by allowing the
"disconnected" side of the circuit another path.  Sometimes this is
because the circuit tracks themselves corrode.  This possibility,
coupled with the fact that the paint-on repair coating costs quite a
bit...  If you find the general clean doesn't work, you might like to
consider a replacement remote instead.  You can get good cheap ones
that do multiple devices.  Aldi has one from time to time for about
$14 I think was.  Folks seem to be happy with it.

Allan

Re: how do the soft buttons on a TV remote work?

Forgot to mention too - if you buy one of those remotes, it can
"learn" the codes from your old one, if it's not already contained in
it's list.

Re: how do the soft buttons on a TV remote work?

paint the rubber part with rear window demister repair paint.
for a source try repco, supercheap, or jaycar.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: how do the soft buttons on a TV remote work?

you could get a tiny piece of alfoil glued to the pad (tiny real flat bit

Re: how do the soft buttons on a TV remote work?

nope: it forms a thin oxide coating. There's no need anyway as all you
have to do is wipe the black pad and it's fixed, no paint or
anything

Re: how do the soft buttons on a TV remote work?

Just wipe it once across a piece of clean white printer/copier
paper.

--
Regards
Blue

Re: how do the soft buttons on a TV remote work?

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 11:52:37 GMT, "aussiblu"

Aw, get out the angle grinder...

Re: how do the soft buttons on a TV remote work?

   Back when I was doing repairs to try to make a living, I
encountered a lot of remotes with intermittent buttons (always the
ones which got pushed the most). No amount of wiping or cleaning would
fix most of them, but the remote repair kit from WES Components did
restore them to normal.
   I also had some success with bits of aluminium foil stuck to the
pads, but they kept failing not because it wouldn't conduct, but
because no adhesive would stick permanently to the silicone rubber and
they kept falling off.
   Just my 2c worth...

Bob

Re: how do the soft buttons on a TV remote work?

I must have been lucky as the dozen or so I've fixed just needed wiping
hard enough to remove an obvious glaze and expose the fresh conductive
rubber. I did wipe hard enough to leave black streaks on the cloth. My
theory was that the little black block was conductive all the way
through so abrading it with a cloth( or copier paper with it's kaolin )
would freshen up the contact.  Tarzan's grip is good for alfoil or
gelgrip thinned out a bit with acetone or MEK.

Re: how do the soft buttons on a TV remote work?

   Now that you mention it, I've encountered a few remotes in which
the rubber was exuding a gooey kind of substance which was causing
intermittent button operation.
   On the others, it's quite possible that I didn't clean the contact
material vigorously enough to get through the non-conductive coating.
   It's a long time ago now, and gee I'm glad I gave up fixing
consumer electronics! :)

Bob

Re: how do the soft buttons on a TV remote work?

I've just given up keeping a DSE portable phone alive for years
past its land-fill date by opening it (eventually every couple
of months) to clean this ooze off the PCB and pads with metho
or propyl alc. Annoying job as it has about 20 small screws
holding 4 PCBs in place.

Re: how do the soft buttons on a TV remote work?

When i was repairing cash registers, the most common problem was these
contacts. The only sure way of fixing them, short of replacement was a rag
and metho on both contact and pcb.

Re: how do the soft buttons on a TV remote work?

Thanks to all - the owners have ordered a new one but I didnt have any luck
with the foil method - I couldn't make it trigger at all with foil - the
operation is intermittent even with other buttons from other positions. I
havn't tried the paint stuff but if it becomes critical - that will be the
next step.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Maybe a universal one is the next best thing - i think the original
replacement was pretty expensive - lucky its not my money :)
Wayne

Re: how do the soft buttons on a TV remote work?

If it is intermittent with other buttons then I would suggest looking
at the pcb for cracks and dry solder joints.