how can light up an old vintage chandlier using a battery for outside party

Do you have a question? Post it now! No Registration Necessary

Translate This Thread From English to

Threaded View


         Hi I have and old vintage chandelier. its made for using
indoors but, i want to use is for a dinner party outside for one night
under and canopy. The light has five arms and uses 25 watt bulbs. it is
85 years old and dose not have a ground wire to it. I would like to
hook it up in my house later. I have no Idea which wire is hot or
negitive. I have installed new fans light fixtures up before with
instuctions . I like to do creative things . I don't want to harm the
chandelier.

           can anyone help me .. what kind of batter to use, car
battery or one of those 8 volt batteries that you get with a flash
light . what do I need and how to do this??

                                                               thanks,
jill


Re: how can light up an old vintage chandlier using a battery for outside party


Quoted text here. Click to load it

I doubt you could run five 25w 240v bulbs on a 12v car battery.

You may have more luck making a lead for it - grab a few metres of wire and
a mains plug from your hardware store and plug it into the wall. Hide the
lead during the party.

-mark



Re: how can light up an old vintage chandlier using a battery for outside party


Gee Mark do you think that is really a wise suggestion?  Considering the
posters apparent level of expertise as judged from her post, I have grave
reservations about her undertaking a mains voltage rewiring job - seems a
recipe for a potential disaster to me.

I would advise her to take to a local electrician and have it required and
tested

David

mark jb wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it


Re: how can light up an old vintage chandlier using a battery for outside party



Quoted text here. Click to load it

From what you say about the thing being 85 years old, having no
earth etc,   I would  STRONGLY suggest that you get hold of an
electrician to give it the once over before putting electricity
anywhere near the thing !.  

Some old fittings have potential death-traps like aged rubber coated
wire, that disintegrates with age, especially after being disturbed
falls off the conductor and can result in a dead short between active
and neutral, or if there are metal parts, make them live and therefore
dangerous !

Quoted text here. Click to load it


Site Timeline