house wiring wrong colour codes nearly got me - Page 2

Re: house wiring wrong colour codes nearly got me

no, just this switch, its back to back with another light switch on the
other side that switches active through a red feeder to the fitting. i
had a look at it, cause i assumed the switch had gone dodgy, as if the
contacts had stuck closed, but imediatly i saw that the only thing dodgy
was the use of a black feeder to this one light fixture.

the usual convention is to have the active/neut cable feed to the lamp
with the switch in line with the active. the oposite switch is done
right, this one calls for the unswitched active to join on a spare (un
used)screw  connection in the lamp fixture which is available in BC lamp
fittings but unavailable in fluro housing, which only have provision on
the terminal block for active neutral and earth, therefor this extra
unswitched feed needs to enter the fluro fitting (being in the same
jacket that the neutral lives in) and be capped off so that a)it doesnt
touch anything and b) so feed can continue to the remainder of
lamps/switches on this circuit, Is this normal?

Re: house wiring wrong colour codes nearly got me

turns out this type of wiring setup (using the black leading from switch
to lamp is common in the UK and the circuit is deemed a 'ring' , ive
seem flats and houses at the pre-skin stage and looking at that wiring,
they seem to use the more power-switch-lamp method instead of the
power-lamp-switch-lamp this place seems set up with...

must be an old technique from our british roots or somthing

Re: house wiring wrong colour codes nearly got me

A proper sparky would have been wise to that. It was quite okay until
pretty recently to use any (repeat - any) of the cores for active. More
recently the active had to be sleeved if it wasn't the red or brown,
then more recently again the earth couldn't be used at all for power.
Here in NZ anyway, and I'm betting it's just a few years/decades behind Aus.

Ken

Re: house wiring wrong colour codes nearly got me

**You're an idiot and you live in QLD, right?

There's a reason why those people who don't know what they're doing use
properly qualified people. Then there's the dead ones. They're the idiots.
Sadly, in QLD, the standards for electricians is (or was) so low, that many
problems occurred.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: house wiring wrong colour codes nearly got me

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 21:40:30 GMT, "Trevor Wilson"

Gee, thats a bit harsh. This is actually quite common, and not just
here in QLD.

My guess is that it was wired the traditional way, then a second light
fixure was wired into the switch at a later date.

Re: house wiring wrong colour codes nearly got me

**Harsh? Get real. Only a complete idiot would wire up anything, without
checking the wiring first.

 This is actually quite common, and not just

**It has been traditionally more common in QLD, due to lower standards.

**Perhaps. He is still a moron. If he had no clue about what he was doing,
he should employ someone who does. If the gearbox in my car goes belly up, I
would not pull it out and then complain because I could not get it back
together again. I would employ a professional to do the job.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: house wiring wrong colour codes nearly got me

its all good, i worked out what the problem was, just didn't expect that
they'd use black to carry active....

as far as using or not using earth, certain types of fluro fittings
wouldn't correctly fire each time, but i dont believe that has anything
to do with pre-heat type ballasted fittings.

this is an ex RAFF house, maybe theres the explaination?

Re: house wiring wrong colour codes nearly got me

Yeah, don't trust the riff-raff. Trust RAAF though.  :-)

Cheers.

Ken

Re: house wiring wrong colour codes nearly got me

or RAFF royal air force fluckers? nah they're ok, just there sparky work
that needs improvment

Re: house wiring wrong colour codes nearly got me

Are you in IPSWICH ?

Re: house wiring wrong colour codes nearly got me

certainly am

Re: house wiring wrong colour codes nearly got me

that

It wouldnt be an old Queenslander ?

My guess is that its a house in Leichardt or One mile .

Re: house wiring wrong colour codes nearly got me

not quite a qld'r, close but. yeah leichhardt area. theres alot of these
houses around here.

Re: house wiring wrong colour codes nearly got me

output
up
single
that

Stick to speaker wiring .

That is utter rubbish . ALL states use the AS3000 for wiring standards .

As far as AC goes both the active and neutral are the same and should be
treated as such . If a neutral conductor is not connected properly and its
under load * essentially * its alive . Always treat every wire as
potentially alive .

idiots.

Re: house wiring wrong colour codes nearly got me

**Yep, they sure do. Electrician training standards are (or were) lower in
QLD. I'll bet Matt lives in QLD.

**Which is why Matt is such an idiot. EVERY person involved with electrical
appliances knows this fact all too well.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: house wiring wrong colour codes nearly got me

For a few dollars you can buy a neon screwdriver/tester and work out the
wires... if you going to rely on colours and reliable electricians
you'll die one day.

Tom

Re: house wiring wrong colour codes nearly got me

**Don't sweat it. Just evolution in action. Morons doing their own
electrical work need to be weeded out of our gene pool.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: house wiring wrong colour codes nearly got me

Its an old hangover from post war sparkys , many could do the work so
were considered ok yet were not in effect tradesman   , many used a
common earth rail down the roof space and looped the active in a twin
across the active then switch then fitting to make the circuit and the
neutral  really was added when required to make suitable  , was helping
a mate recently in an old house in Brisbane and most of it was a rewire
but some was very old ( about 40 years) with everything bundled and
taped in a group star fashion in the roof all actives via the first
light switch , (a real head shaker :)

Re: house wiring wrong colour codes nearly got me

thats what confused me, everything i've ever learned previously was
wrong in this case. I have learned somthing tho, check the light switch
first

Re: house wiring wrong colour codes nearly got me

No, in VB terms you learnt:

If Could_Job_Kill_Me = TRUE then
    Check_Carefully = TRUE
    If Existing_Wiring_Looks_Oddball = TRUE then
        MsgBox "WFT!"
        ApproachCarefully ()
    End If
Else