Hot flouro ballast

Had a flouro turn itself off the other evening.
Would not restart. New tube and starter a week or so earlier.
Felt the ballast. It was hot.
Left it off for for a couple of hours and it worked ok, and
hasn't stopped.
Question, how hot is the ballast likely to  get. 32 watt .

Thanks ...Ian

Re: Hot flouro ballast

"Ian"

**  Bad contacts on the tube socket.

**  They do get hot.

**  Bad contacts on the tube socket behave intermittently.

**  50 or 60 degrees C above the local ambient.

   Modern types run hotter then ones made decades ago did.

......   Phil

Re: Hot flouro ballast

They often get dangerously hot. Lighting, especially fluoro lamps, is
nearly always cheap and nasty.

Re: Hot flouro ballast

had a 40watt ballast with 2 20watt tubes
got very hot and shorted out, the 2 tubes exploded
the fitting was new.

Re: Hot flouro ballast
On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 10:32:36 +1000, "ZACK`"

Thanks ZACK, that's allI need,
the thing blowing up.

I remember one blowing up at home abt 40yrs ago'
Black gunk out of it. The ballast lost it?

Put a new ballast in the fitting, even that one hot.
Will check out another fitting when I get a chance.

Thanks Ian

Re: Hot flouro ballast

this happend back in 1980
the ballast was a dud, it was getting hotter than
normal from new, thay do run hot but not to the point
of burning anything.
so normal can be hot to the touch

Re: Hot flouro ballast
One can buy Australian made ballasts from electrical wholesalers for pocket
change, likley significantly higher quality than the usual chinese garbage
sold to the masses.

Re: Hot flouro ballast

Has anyone actually used these domestically?

colour balance?
lumens?

Initially I'm not worried about replacing room light but want a string for
night lights on moonless nights.

Re: Hot flouro ballast

There has been a huge amount of discussion and experimentation regarding
lumens and colour on various bicycle light newsgroups.

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f12%4

Site Timeline