Homebuilt laser cutter pictures

Hi all,

We have built a computer controlled C02 laser for cutting and engraving.

Thought some of you may be interested to have a look.

http://www.theblakelaser.com /

Any comments are welcome.

Cheers,

Tony

Re: Homebuilt laser cutter pictures

Well done tony - looks impressive.

Can I ask where you got the laser assy and what it's power
requirements are?

I'm cutting foam cores for model aircraft wings with a cnc machine
built from plans and have been thinking of a router table for cutting
plywood sections - a laser would be a considerable improvement. I just
assumed the cost would be prohibitive.

have fun,
cheers,
Sam T

Re: Homebuilt laser cutter pictures

    You may run into the same problems the bakery had
when they installed a laser bread slicer: TOAST!!

Re: Homebuilt laser cutter pictures

I would like to know where that laser came from!! I want one..

Re: Homebuilt laser cutter pictures

Try "Light and it's uses" published
by Scientific American and edited by
C.L. Stong from memory. It has plans
for a CO2 laser strong enough to
shatter glass from thermal shock.

Re: Homebuilt laser cutter pictures

Wow home made death ray :)

Serious question though. Howcome countries like
the USA haven't yet created laser beam weapons?

Re: Homebuilt laser cutter pictures

On Wed, 11 May 2005 23:08:52 +0930, "Kate Fights, I Cry"
composed:

Because Hollywood owns the patent?

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Homebuilt laser cutter pictures

Like this one?

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/abl /

or

http://www.defense-update.com/news/MTHEL.htm

Re: Homebuilt laser cutter pictures

On Wed, 11 May 2005 23:08:52 +0930, "Kate Fights, I Cry"

Just a guess. Inverse square law for light and power requirements.

I'd bet that they've tested prototypes.

Re: Homebuilt laser cutter pictures

**Picture the following scenario:

A well armed US marine, carrying an automatic weapon, capable of firing 10
rounds/sec. He needs to carry about 10kg of equipment with him (+ life
support stuff).

How about:

A well armed US marine, carrying a laser, capable of killing another human.
He needs to carry about 5kg for the laser, plus around 100kg for power
supply and cooling system.

Get the picture?

And here's a little titbit for you: A firearm is just as effective in the
vacuum of space, as it is here on Earth, since the propellant (cordite) has
it's own Oxygen supply, bound up in it's structure.

Firearms are likely to be around for a LONG time yet. They're cheap,
lightweight and deadly.

BTW: I class the guns from Metalstorm as variants of firearms.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Homebuilt laser cutter pictures

AFAIUI that life support stuff currently weighs about 50kg.

Yep, look up some of the planning for Future Warrior by the US.
that was where the comment about the MULE comes from.

Persoanlly, I think your 100Kg laser powered marine is doable in bicycle
technology, but hey, I'm a bike nut }}

Re: Homebuilt laser cutter pictures

    Nothing beats a nice kinetic weapon like a gun for transferring energy
to the target. I'd like to see some kind of backpack super
capacitor or a kevlar flywheel/homopolar generator powering a railgun.
One that runs for more than one shot though without exploding.

Re: Homebuilt laser cutter pictures

Physics.

Re: Homebuilt laser cutter pictures

Hi Andy, the laser I used was a secondhand one that I bought from a private
seller, who removed it from some old scrapped medical equipment.  This was a
one-off, but you may be able to find someone on the net who is selling
second hand lasers.  If you want a new one, maybe try http://www.synrad.com/
Does anyone else know suppliers for second-hand or new lasers?
Cheers, Tony

Re: Homebuilt laser cutter pictures

The thinner the beam, the less bread gets burnt. You
could probably focus the beam well enough to make the
problem vanish.

Re: Homebuilt laser cutter pictures

Or you could use a 'cold' laser ...

Re: Homebuilt laser cutter pictures

Explain? How can you cut stuff without making some stuff vanish?
And then surely there must crispy stuff that "nearly" vanished.

Re: Homebuilt laser cutter pictures

The vapourised bread would form a plasma and transfer
heat to the bread cooking it anyway, it's been tried
so many times from bread to denim fabric to wood. With
cutting steel plate they stack a few sheets of steel:
the top couple of items are write-offs from the plasma
but the rest are ok.

Re: Homebuilt laser cutter pictures

Hi Sam T, thanks for your kind comments.  The laser I used was a secondhand
one that I bought from a privavate seller, who removed it from some old
scrapped
medical equipment.  I am told that it is a 20Watt, RF excited, folded cavity
design.  The laser cuts polystyrene foam very nicely and easily, but it is
not high enough power to cut wood.  I'm told that lasers are used in the
furniture industry for cutting wood, but the laser power is 2000W or more
(that's at least two orders of magnitude higher power than the one I have).
Cheers, Tony

Re: Homebuilt laser cutter pictures

found courage and express out opinion in

Ingenious!!

Thanks for showing your work.

I wonder how long it takes for the laser to cut the plastic and
wether you could etch PCB with it :)

Par.

Site Timeline