Home automation etc

But you need to write different values to different registers in order to control the I/O and special functions of different microcontrollers. You may have a library that abstracts all that for you, but in using that you limit the range and performance of the hardware's functionality, while also making debugging more difficult as Sylvia pointed out.

Compilers for many microcontrollers also tend to implement extensions to the C standard, so C isn't always C either, if you're used to taking advantage of those extensions.

If your code accesses the device's registers directly for all hardware functions, then you know roughly what timing delays will happen. If you use other libraries, then you don't know for sure what is going on in the background that might cause unexpected behaviour. If you're only ever toggling a light on and off, then that might not be a worry, but if you're actually pushing the hardware then it becomes important.

--

The libraries in the Arduino universe come in source form, if you do have problems, you can delve right in, or modify them to meet your needs.

Most use GCC in some form, that's pretty universal.

If its that critical, and not many functions are (unless you are controlling some critical industrial process) then you'd probably be using assembler and the SDK for the particular processor. However, I'll bet that 99% of applications don't need that, certainly Trevors doesn't.

Reply to
keithr0

Maybe, but I've never had any problems in that regard using a whole bunch of different devices.

Reply to
keithr0