Hitachi TV died.

Hitachi C29-F50B, 64cm CRT.
Worked o.k. last night, dead this morning. any ideas?
Once or twice would switch on and power back down all by its self but would
re-start on the remote and problem would not show for months, even years.
As I said, any ideas or do I just dump it.
Thanks for any suggestions.
FOG.

Re: Hitachi TV died.

Wait till its dark. Leave it on a neighbours verge. Run back inside.

Make sure you turn off any security lights you may have before venturing
out.

Re: Hitachi TV died.

Sorry not what you wanted to hear.....

Maybe have a quick look in the power supply area for dodgy electrolytic
caps?

Re: Hitachi TV died.
The problem doesn't have to be related to its previous misbehaviour.

You could check the PSU for internal fuses that have blown. Ocasionally
fuses fail for no good reason and just need to be replaced. Just make
sure the set's been unplugged for an hour or so, and even then stay away
from the anode (that's the thing plugged into the side or top of the
tube) and whatever it's connected to.

Sylvia.

Re: Hitachi TV died.

Extremely rarely. They sometimes blow due to an abnormal surge, and will
work again with just a fuse replacement, but even that is pretty rare, and
more in the realm of wishful thinking.

MrT.

Re: Hitachi TV died.

I have seen it happen. OK, perhaps only once, and not in a television,
but it did happen. Given that it's easy to check, it seems sensible to
do so before junking the set.

Sylvia.

Re: Hitachi TV died.

Agree, only seen it happen on a couple of occasions, by the look of it
the wire had come off the end cap inside. Very rare.

Also had new fuses that were getting rather hot. turned out they had
several ohms across them.  Replaced them with others that were ok.
Weird, that was.

Re: Hitachi TV died.

and

Exactly, even miracles happen sometimes.

Of course, never suggested otherwise. Just be prepared to be disappointed.

MrT.

Re: Hitachi TV died.

"Mr.Turd"

** Nonsense.

CRT type CTVs have de-gaussing coils that draw enormous surge currents at
switch on  -  for larger screen sets the peak current can easily exceed 60
amps.

Causes fatigue failures in fuses ( nominally rated at 2 to 3 amps ) all the
time.

.....  Phil

Re: Hitachi TV died.
O.k. Thanks to all for the help and advise.
Took the back of the thing and finally found the only fuse in there and
replaced it with the correct spec fuse, put the back cover back on and
powered it on, POP! went the fuse immediately along with the the relevant
house breaker, so it is off to the tip today for it.
New telly bought and installed so not too much veiwing pleasure was lost.
Thanks again.
FOG.

Re: Hitachi TV died.

"FOG"

 ** Could just be a burnt out de-gaussing thermistor ......

...   Phil

Re: Hitachi TV died.
Yes I can understand that as it seemed to go pop very early on in the
start-up sequence, no relay click and no deguess crackle but with no cicuit
diagram, minimal skills and I suppose, no real enthusiasm to delve any
deeper (Plus I think management wanted a new one,........ well alright, me
too!) then it was really predestined or the tip!
I do not like throwing away perfectly good peices of equipment or rescuable
gear but sometimes.........
Still it is now landfill.
Yet again thanks to all for help and advise and happy veiwing!!!
FOG

Re: Hitachi TV died.

How old was the set?  I remember staying in a country motel about 4
years back and they were still
using 1970's vintage 20" Hitachi sets in the rooms, so they must be
very reliable and/or cheap to maintain.

Site Timeline