High-temperature cap replacement

The control chip in our oven has gone haywire, and I suspect the supply filter cap, a 220uF 25VW electro with a 125C temp rating. It's in a hot place! It filters the supply generated through two wirewound resisters dropping from 240V.

Is there a better replacement cap I can get for this purpose? Do tantalum caps withstand this temp better?

Otherwise where might I find (in Melb) a 125C rated cap without having to pay $10 in postage from Farnell etc? It doesn't seem to be the kind of thing stocked by the usual suspects.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Rockby have some 125 deg rated electros:

No exact match, but a couple of the 68uF 40V axial jobs might do the trick if they fit.

Rockby are in Clayton.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Not likely either sadly. 105C is good enough for most apps.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Perfect, David! Thanks for the pointer.

Still interested if anyone can answer whether other types might suit.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 11:43:53 +1100, Clifford Heath put finger to keyboard and composed:

Look for a capacitor with a solid dielectric.

This series is targeted at industrial high temperature, automotive, military and space applications:

? Extremely long useful life: 20 000 hours at 125 °C ? Extended high temperature range up to 200 °C ? Excellent low temperature impedance and ESR behaviour ? Charge and discharge proof, application with

0 ohm resistance allowed

Here are Vishay's Australian distributors/agents/sales offices:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Thanks all, the oven is working perfectly. Rockby had the exact part (220uF 25V 125degC), and they were less than a kilometre detour for my son this morning. WIN!

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath