High speed strobe schematic query

Has anyone ever tried making something like this?

http://www.xtrsystems.com/strobe/strobe_light

I need a high-speed strobe for photographing moving objects with a
duration of around 15-30 microseconds. I'm having a bit of trouble
finding some parts and also interpreting what some of the parts actually
are from the hand-drawn schematic. My electronics skills arent that
great... more the 'follow the instructions' type (: Can anyone help me
sort out what I actually need for this?

Cheers,

Scott.

Re: High speed strobe schematic query

"Scott Coutts"

**  That site shows the bare bones of a  LOW speed strobe with a shorter
flash duration than a photo flash.

**  Then keep away -  it is a highy dangerous device and way out of your
league.

  An automotive timing light might serve your purpose better anyhow.

 http://www.magnumforceracing.com/flaming_river_timing_light.asp

.............   Phil

Re: High speed strobe schematic query

It is a high speed strobe in comparison to a standard camera strobe and,
as I stated earlier, that is what I need. You're talking semantics. I
need a strobe with a flash duration of, ideally, less than 20 microseconds.

I was waiting for that. I'm not so ignorant that I'd cause any damage to
myself with it, despite what you might think.

I've never seen or used one of those before. How bright are they and
what is the flash duration on those? I need it to flash when manually
triggered, and flash only once.

Scott.

Re: High speed strobe schematic query

"Scott Coutts"

**  Camera do not use strobes -   they have flash guns.

**   No -   you do not know what a strobe is.

 A "strobe" flashes continuously -  usually at a rate of many times per
second.

 **  What I think is what matters most to me.

 What you just posted tells me you are not competent with high voltage
circuitry.

** Go to an automotive parts place and have a look at one.

  It may need modifying to produce single flashes on cue.

  But all the hard work is is done for you.

..........    Phil

Re: Autism - symptoms

**  That explains all those discussions you have with yourself.

.........  Phil

Re: Autism - symptoms

Anyone else have something useful to say?

Scott.

Re: Autism - symptoms

Are you wishing or hoping?

Re: High speed strobe schematic query

Yes, but in the photography industry, 'flash guns' are often called
heads, strobes, blocks, monolights, etc.

I do in fact know what a strobe is. The term can be used differently
depending on your field. My comment regarding semantics was made on the
assumption that you were not being quite so pedantic as I had expected.

I am aware that that is one of the uses of the term and, yes, perhaps I
should have chosen a different term to describe the light when
discussing it in an electronics group.

um... ok. I certainly dont doubt that.

There is no question that I am not familiar with high voltage circuitry.
I stated that from the outset. That doesnt mean that I am sufficiently
ignorant or incompetent that I will hurt myself with it.

I doubt they will specify the flash duration, but I'll have a look anyway.

So they dont use high-voltage to trigger the xenon tube?

Re: High speed strobe schematic query

"Scott Coutts"

**  Industry jargon should be left where you found it.

**  Then why ask for a "strobe" when you wanted single fashes??

**  We are not pro photographers here.

**  Make less assumptions.

   Then you will not look such a fool.

 **  Correct  -   industry jargon is not for export.

 **  That is your very silly opinion.

 ** Now you have graduated to being an outright smatarse.

     Bye.......

..........   Phil

Re: High speed strobe schematic query

 From the OED:

"Strobe:
A. adj., an electric light that can be made to flash on and off rapidly
and automatically; also, an electronic flash for a camera"

See above, or to refresh your memory:

 From the OED:

"Strobe:
A. adj., an electric light that can be made to flash on and off rapidly
and automatically; also (U.S.), an electronic flash for a camera"

That does not change the fact that the term 'strobe' has more than one
definition.

By having a quick look at your posting history, I think it is you that
is still appearing as the fool, after all this time.

See the above definition once again.

I stated no opinion.

I asked you a serious question. First you tell me not to deal with
devices such as these, and then you tell me to modify a device which
also contains a xenon tube. Make a decision.

... or dont. I've become tired of you now that I realise what you are. I
won't bother replying to anything more you write, so if you are petty
enough to require the last word, as most of your kind do, you can have it.

Re: Another TROLL bites the dust !!

"Scott Coutts"

**  So you work there do you.

     We'll see.

..........   Phil

Re: Another TROLL bites the dust !!

Hey Phil!

I have a free travel voucher for you, on the London underground. Only
condition is that you have to dress like a Brazilian. Deal?

.........  Phil (the other)

Re: Another TROLL bites the dust !!

Forwarded to a Govco interested party .

Re: Another TROLL bites the dust !!

I already know it and I doubt anybody else cares... you're the only one
who will see. So have you found out yet? If you were so good at finding
out all this information then you'd know already from my email address
that I'm not a student there.

Scott.

Re: Another TROLL bites the dust !!

"Scott Coutts"

**  Yes you damn well are are:

Here is your personal  WANKERS  web page :

http://www-personal.monash.edu.au/~coutts/index_hi.shtml

I'm a postgraduate student at Monash University. I completed a Bachelor of
Science degree majoring in microbiology and genetics. In 1999 I managed an
Honours degree (Class I) in Genetics, which is part of the Department of
Biological Sciences. Under the excellent supervision of Associate Professor
Viji Krishnapillai, I was studying an aviulence gene and a heat shock gene
in Ralstonia solanacearum. Now I'm studying in the Department of
Microbiology: I've just started the second year of my PhD by research,
funded by a scholarship from Intervet International. My main research
interests lie in the molecular aspects of virulence mechanisms in bacteria.
My research project deals with membrane proteins and virulence factors in a
pathogenic bacterium called Brachyspira hyodysenterae, which is a very
cool-looking bug (spirochaete).

 I work in the laboratory headed by Professor Ben Adler. Several of my
friends also work in the same lab, and one of them is my co-supervisor, Dr.
Dieter Bulach. There's also Paul Cullen who works on the same bug and me.
He's also looking at Leptospira interrogans (which, incidentally, isn't
nearly as cool looking as B. hyodysenteraie!). David Boucher also works with
us in the lab, but he's researching aspects of Pasteurella multocida
(definitely not as cool as B. hyodysenteriae!). They've become good friends
in the relatively short time that I have known them.

None of my other friends have web pages other than Michael Platt,  Although
he is also a slacker, he's not quite as slack as the rest of them, so you
can check out his web page too!

I have two brothers and one sister. My sister is the eldest of my siblings
and she is a freelance illustrator. She owns and manages Lisa Coutts
Illustration (plug plug). She and her boyfriend David Rafferton recently
announced their engagement! David owns and manages Vidman Design (a design
company) and TRT Racing (a motorbike racing clothing & design company). My
older brother, Evan, works in the research and development department at
Varian Inc., makers of quite expensive lab instruments. My younger brother
Shaun is studying for a Bachelor of Science, also at Monash University.

I have two pets. A relatively new one, called Kuja. He's a Rhodesian
Ridgeback dog that we recently bought as a pup. Until recently, we had
another dog named Louie, short for N'Kaalu (that's an epiglottal stop
between the N and the K - so chances are, if you dont come from Zimbabwe you
wont be able to pronounce it properly... I know I cant!). Louie was a very
old Rhodesian Ridgeback. Our other dog is called Jessie and she's a Maltese.
We also had another Rhodesian Ridgeback, the nephew of Louie, but he's gone
too. He was called Zak (short of Zakuma).We also have some zebra fish, but
they're pretty dull.

I enjoy photography, but I dont really see myself as any great artistic
tallent! I have the technical skills and I know what I'm doing, but my
Sister has all the artistic tallent in our family. I have a growing
collection of camera things. A Konica camera (APS format), which I think is
quite good (for an instant camera) and very compact but rarely sees use
anymore since I recently bought a new SLR camera, the Canon EOS 30 (35mm
format). I think it's a great camera. Slightly related to this is an
interest I've just recently developed as a result of my research, and that's
electron microscopy. I also like driving my car, but not being driven. I
watch all types of movies but I prefer more off-beat and surrealistic
movies. I also like surrealist art. I waste far too much time on the
internet, having blown a sizeable chunk of my hard earned scholarship money
on a cable modem. I figure I'd better get my money's worth...

I love the music that I like, and hate what I don't. Everything else just
gets passed by. Anything that has some sort of meaning or inspires an
emotion is great. I like something that sounds a bit different.  I hate
musicians that are 'just in it for the money'. Top 40... ugh.

Although I like to listen to music, I dont play any instruments (properly),
but I'm attempting to learn the scottish small pipes... I havent gotten very
far yet. I'm sure my family will kill me before I do. If you've every heard
any kind of celtic pipes played badly, you'll know what I mean. Most people
dont think they sound good even when they are played properly!

... And that's it for now.

Scott J. Coutts

Re: Another TROLL bites the dust !!

Jeez you're getting into the powerful hacking tools now... google is
certainly only for all those classified as genius, such as yourself!

I guess you didnt realise that the stuff you dug up is nearly 6 years
old! lol that was quite amusing actually... I forgot it was even there
it's so old. Maybe you should get yourself some up-to-date information
before you make a fool of yourself once again. So keep searching, and
you'll find something more current. It's certainly out there. But then,
you're probably the type that will only post the parts that will help
you in your strange, one-sided arguement.

By the way, I could quite easily find lots of useless information that
you (and everyone else) has left behind on the web... but I really dont
see the point. Obviously you do... so keep it up. It doesnt bother me in
the slightest. If I didnt want people to know it, I wouldnt have put it
there in the first place.

Cheers,

Scott.

Re: Another TROLL bites the dust !!

 **  Sure  -  this one has  YOUR  mobile phone number:

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?p14%3204

While this one give your contact number at Monash Uni.

http://directory.monash.edu.au/cgi-bin/staffsearch/staffsearch

 I   ** loove  **  the bit that says   "  Title:  n/a  "    !!!!!!

What do you do   -   FUCKHEAD  ?

Wash tests tubes and clean the staff toilets.

Wot   -  no  Phd  ??

.........    Phil

Re: Another TROLL bites the dust !!

I reckon he's achieved far more than you ever did Phil.
Honours too!!, at least he finished his course....unlike
others I could name.

Re: Another TROLL bites the dust !!

:_)
  now throw some 5C bits at him and kick him in the nuts ..

Re: Another TROLL bites the dust !!

Keep searching Phil... you havent found the right pages yet. Since you
dont have anything to do with Monash, I'm sure you can be forgiven for
realising that those details are updated by the individual that owns them.

Cheers,

Scott.

Site Timeline