High Energy Testing

A frind of mine recently had fun testing a custom high energy PSU, too cool
not to pass on:

"This photo was taken during routine testing of my 400 joule discharge PSU.

The PSU dumps 4,500V pulses to the load, at a rate of three 400j jolts per
second.

The load resistor is a 10-ohm, 450-watt beastie which gets damn hot during
testing - more than 200degC, despite the fan.

The load resistor consists of maybe 100 turns of resistance wire.
The resistance wire is probably Monel or nichrome.
One turn is only insulated from the next by an oxide coating on the wire.
At each pulse, there's about 45 volts between adjacent turns.
Once the resistor gets hot enough, the insulation starts breaking down.
Spectacularly...

I'm glad I had the camera handy!"

http://www.alternatezone.com/images/Boomer_Testing_400joule.jpg

Dave.

Re: High Energy Testing

Is that aliasing I see on the spark traces?

D from BC
myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com
British Columbia
Canada

Re: High Energy Testing
put finger to keyboard and composed:

That would be 1200J/s which is 1200W.

No wonder. It is trying to dissipate 1200W.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: High Energy Testing

"Franc Zabkar"
 "David L. Jones"

** 4500 volts into 10 ohms equates to a peak dissipation of just over 2 MW

-    yep * megawatts *   !!!!!

I figure there is a 40uF cap bank charged to 4500 volts somewhere just out
of the pic  -  the charging rate it at about 1 amp to allow 3 blasts per
second.

Wonder how many discarded microwave ovens were scavenged to make this lethal
set up ?

....   Phil

Re: High Energy Testing

He called it a "boomer"

possibly it's a thumper:

http://www.voncorp.com/products/fault/fault.htm

Re: High Energy Testing
Could we test speed camera electronics with it

Site Timeline