HiFi CD player stutters, computer CD doesn't

A CD (Classic Mozart, ABC) stutterd on one track  when I played it on either
of my two identical Rotel CD players. I returned it to the ABC shop and they
replaced it. The replacement CD stutters on the same track, in both
machines, but plays OK on my PC. One of the Rotels has been hammered over
the years and owes us nothing. The other Rotel has had little use. Can
anyone explain this?

Re: HiFi CD player stutters, computer CD doesn't

I would think slight problem on disk exist.  Just a combination of ths error
and ROTEL player. Error exists in the master copy of CD, so all the disks
you will get contain it.

Rudolf

Re: HiFi CD player stutters, computer CD doesn't

Probably some copy protectuion scheme on the disc that the old Rotels cn't
quite cope with.

geoff

Re: HiFi CD player stutters, computer CD doesn't

:A CD (Classic Mozart, ABC) stutterd on one track  when I
played it on either
: of my two identical Rotel CD players. I returned it to the
ABC shop and they
: replaced it. The replacement CD stutters on the same
track, in both
: machines, but plays OK on my PC. One of the Rotels has
been hammered over
: the years and owes us nothing. The other Rotel has had
little use. Can
: anyone explain this?
:
I had the same problem with Kate Ceberano's Live CD from the
ABC shop.  It was a mastering error on all the first
released CDs.  Actually the nice lady in the ABC shop told
me before I bought it.

As far as playing on your computer goes it probably has
better error correction being newer.

Cheers TT

Re: HiFi CD player stutters, computer CD doesn't

some discs are absolute disasters when it comes to that sort of
behaviour
for example

"worlds best ever beer songs vol 2, (2 cd set)"
"led zeppelin remasters cd 2 "

In both these cases, on some philips CDM-12/pro players, (and possibly
others) they refuse to even play most times you try, but work
perfectly in a computer.

This is obviously a manufacturing defect as it's on all copies of them

Unfortunately the only cure seems to be to copy to CD-R and put the
original away for safekeeping, However, to make matters even worse,
many types of burnt discs wont play on certain cd players as well !

Re: HiFi CD player stutters, computer CD doesn't

Years ago I had heaps of trouble with CD-Rs on older CD
players but I found that using Nero and burning as an Audio
CD fixes the problem.

Also, in the olden days, when Copy Protected CDs came out
they also wouldn't play in my same players so I would
dutifully burn a copy and return the original back to the
shop and say it didn't play in my player - which of course
was absolutely true ;-)  The fact that the computer not only
played it but burnt a perfect copy never seemed to enter
into the discussion ;-)

Obviously I wasn't the only one doing it as this *stupid*
idea seems to have now passed.

Cheers TT

Re: HiFi CD player stutters, computer CD doesn't

Not certain, but since computer CD players must track at much higher
rotational speeds, perhaps it's tracking an eccentricity in the disk
that your audio-only drive can't?

Re: HiFi CD player stutters, computer CD doesn't

This reminds me of a story I read once in Electronics Australia

A similar thing happened were a CD would play on a cheap CD player but would
not play on the top of the range player.

The answer was that the more expensive player had error detection if it
found a error it would dump the signal, were the cheaper player would just
play the lot, error and all.

A CD (Classic Mozart, ABC) stutterd on one track  when I played it on either
of my two identical Rotel CD players. I returned it to the ABC shop and they
replaced it. The replacement CD stutters on the same track, in both
machines, but plays OK on my PC. One of the Rotels has been hammered over
the years and owes us nothing. The other Rotel has had little use. Can
anyone explain this?

Site Timeline