help with transistor ID.

Hi guys,

need help with iding a transistor out of a surround sound receiver.

the markings on it are as such:

115-
8 XE

it's in a smaller package than say a bc548, rectangular with flat front &
back sides.

anyone have any idea?

cheers,

tc

Re: help with transistor ID.

"timbo"

** Please supply receiver's make, age and country of manufacture.

**  Please supply the section of the circuit were it is used

- ie tuner, display, PSU, power amp, small signal audio etc.

**  Has it got three legs ?

.........  Phil

Re: help with transistor ID.

it's a sony STR-DE535, made in malaysia, no idea how old it is though, can't
find a date code on it anywhere. probably late 90's early 2000's or so..

power amp, it appears to be a driver tranny.

yep ;)

and currently all three are shorted..  if i get a chance this arvo, i'll
pull out one from another channel & test it to see if it's npn/pnp etc..

cheers,

tc.

Re: help with transistor ID.

"timbo"

**  Funny  -  I had a STR-DE525  here 3 weeks ago.

 Blown outputs,  special types -  had to get them from Speedy.

**  Good idea.

...........  Phil

Re: help with transistor ID.

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 04:42:23 +0000 (UTC), timbo
composed:

FWIW, NTE list a "Low Noise, High Gain Amplifier, Silicon NPN
Transistor" cross for a "147115-8", whatever that is:

 http://www.nteinc.com/specs/100to199/NTE199.html

Does the package look like this one?
 http://www.zetex.com/3.0/c1-11.asp#3pineline

What is the pinout? Is it NPN or PNP or FET? Does it form one side of
a complementary pair? If so, what is the p/n of the other transistor?
What is the part's circuit reference?

-- Franc Zabkar

Re: help with transistor ID.

pnp bipolar transistor, pinout (looking from the label side) is ECB, not
part of a complimentary pair, unit is in a sont STR-DE535, part number Q554.

cheers,

tc

Re: help with transistor ID.

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 06:37:35 +0000 (UTC), timbo
composed:

Could it be a DTA115 digital transistor??? Could the "8" and/or the
"XE" refer to the value(s) of its integrated resistor(s), if any? Is
the transistor involved in muting, or is that done at the input???

Have you tried calling Prime Electronics?
 http://www.prime-electronics.com.au/aaa/email.asp

-- Franc Zabkar

Re: help with transistor ID.

it seems to be a driver for the poweramps in the unit - each poweramp has
one, so i doubt it's a dta115.

thanks, i might give that a go.

cheers,

tc.

Re: help with transistor ID.

"timbo"

** You sure that number is "115  " and not  " 118  "  ??

   A  2SK118  Nch  J-FET  fits the bill.

.........  Phil

Re: help with transistor ID.

yep, it's definitely "115"

just pulled one out of another channel & ran it over my atlas.

it's a pnp bjt. part number in the unit is Q554 if that's any help.

cheers,

tc.

Re: help with transistor ID.

"timbo"

** My bet is that it is a 2SA1158.

  Similar specs to a BC556.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/ebina2540/data/2SA/2SA1101-1200.htm

...........   Phil

Re: help with transistor ID.

2sa1115 pnp switch

Re: help with transistor ID.

so far that sounds like a winner.

thanks phil,

cheers,

tc.

Re: help with transistor ID.

115

hmm.. oh yes, i see why there must be an "8" in the part no.
lol

Re: help with transistor ID.

;)

well on the device it was:

115-
8 XE

& on a real close look, the 8 _could_ have been a "B", but i'm pretty sure
it was "8".

i reckon phil was closest here - pretty close specs to a bc556 (pretty sure
he said 556.. anyway, whatever it was, i'll try it on the weekend..)

with a bit of luck, it'll do the job.

cheers,

tc.

Re: help with transistor ID.

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 01:08:01 +0000 (UTC), timbo
composed:

I'd be uncomfortable with that choice for several reasons. Firstly,
all my references (vrt, Google, Towers) show the package style as
TO-92. Secondly, if you can fit four characters on the second line,
then why does the "1158" need to be split across two lines? IMHO, this
suggests that the "-" is a significant component of the part number.
Thirdly, IME Japanese transistors often drop the leading "2S" when
space is unavailable, but never the leading A,B,C, or D.

-- Franc Zabkar

Re: help with transistor ID.

ok, on reading the posts i see the reference to -8 which often has other
meanings ie gain
the package is smaller than to-92,
it is common for the japs to remove all but the last 3 digits of the part no on
the package.

Site Timeline