help with regulator selection

To save me scouring hordes of websites while currently suffering a 33.6
connection, does anyone know off the top of their head of a simple 3-terminal
LDO reg that will drop 5v to 3v3 at up to 2A?

TIA

Re: help with regulator selection

I might have suggested the lm series 2651 which obviously has to many
legs :_) and runs a max of about 1.5 amps ..

Re: help with regulator selection

http://www.discovercircuits.com/V/volt-reg.htm

Re: help with regulator selection

Maybe I'm a tad slow, but having read all the descriptions there I didn't see
anything that met the "specs".  If you saw one for the job, can you point me at
it please?

Re: help with regulator selection

there isn't really a 3 leg that will far as I know  , but there are
several solutions on the page that might get close dependant on the 5v
rail drop .

Re: help with regulator selection

No wonder, I was looking there for a drop-in 3-legged beastie.

The 5V is stiff as, good for 20A+.  Droop is not an option.

I know there are manufacturers of *very* LDO units for lower currents, but
haven't needed the higher capability until now.

Re: help with regulator selection

TS1085CZ-3.3 (Taiwan Semiconductor)
1.4V dropout @ 3A
TO-220 3.3V output
Farnell 720-8286 $11.63
SMD version too.

Alternatively the LT1085 is a 3A adjustable output device in TO-220,
but double the price.

Dave :)

Re: help with regulator selection

National Semiconductor LM1085 / LM1084 might be usable too and are much
cheaper than LT.  Those are also in Farnell at least in the UK and probably
in Australia too.  I trust the LT part to stay stable under a wider range
of conditions - the LM part has some worrying comments about capacitor ESR
in the datasheet.  It could be a trade-off between low price and a bit of
tweaking vs. circuit working reliably first time at a higher price.

Chris

Re: help with regulator selection

"budgie"

**  The LDO requirement makes the job hard.

     How low is that darn 5 volt rail gonna fall ??

Site Timeline