HELP with flash quenching IGBT/MOSFET

Hey guys,

Need help in finding an appropriate MOSFET/IGBT to pulse my hi energy flash
lamp.

I currently have a 100Ws rated flash lamp running at 330V / 1620uF (88Ws)

I'm want to do pre-flash followed by the main flash so I decided to use a
MOSFET to drive the trigger transformer and pulse shapping directly.

http://optoelectronics.perkinelmer.com/content/ApplicationNotes/flashlightingappnote.pdf
(page 3)

I've been using a MOSFET with ratings of 500V and 48A continuous/192A
pulsed. However, these MOSFETS have been dying on me after around 100
flashes... I did a current test flash pulse on them and found that it drew
about 70A peak with a pulse duration of around 15ms.

Is my MOSFET rated correctly???

If not, what rated MOSFET should I use??

What's the difference between an IGBT and MOSFET? I also used an IGBT (rated
for 85A continuous ) in place of the MOSFET and it failed to trigger with a
logic signal directly from the microcontroller (5V). I then tried to
manually trigger the IGBT with a 7V source and it only flashed once -
assumed I blew the IGBT... what am I doing wrong?

thanks...

Re: HELP with flash quenching IGBT/MOSFET

"KD"
http://optoelectronics.perkinelmer.com/content/ApplicationNotes/flashlightingappnote.pdf

 **  Is that an  IXFK48N50  at circa  $75 each ??

 **  A bigger one.

 ** Oh dear.........

 **  Oh deary me ........

 **   Everything.

 ( This reminds me of the story of  Microfarad and Millihenry. )

.........  Phil

Re: HELP with flash quenching IGBT/MOSFET

YES

HOW MUCH BIGGER?

I KNOW... BUT CAN YOU USE THE SAME DRIVER CIRCUIT? ARE THEY INTER CHANGABLE?

YEAH I KNOW.... I PLAN TO USE OPTO-ISOLATORS...

Re: HELP with flash quenching IGBT/MOSFET

"KD"

**  Stop   SHOUTING  !!!

 Plan on blowing a lot of fets up.

 Or electrocuting yourself.