Help! Universal Adaptor Question

Hi, I just bought a portable handheld tv, the Casio TV-970, and want to purchase a universal adaptor for it. The universal adaptors I've seen have different ratings, from 350mA, to over

1000mA. The specifications on the user guide says that it runs on 6 volts, and the power consumption is approiximately 3.1W.

How much mA do I need?

Regards, Patrick

Reply to
Annie

over

P=V*I so I=P/V

P is power in Watts V is voltage I is current in Amps (1000mA=1A)

Watch the polarity!!!!

You can use a power adapter with more current but be warned that most of these cheap power supplies are half wave rectifiers with a capacitor. This means they are NOT voltage regulated. Measure one that is not loaded and verify that the output voltage is higher than stated.

Reply to
Lord Garth

"Annie"

** When analogue TV is switched off in 2008 - that toy will cease to function.
** You need an 700 - 800mA rated **regulated** adaptor of the correct polarity.

Buy the Casio one if you have any sense.

............. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You might still be able to watch via a VCR (if they still have VCR's in

2008)

Buy the way wouldn't the "TV digit box" have a analogue output so you can still use the old analogue TV's until they suff it.

"Annie"

** When analogue TV is switched off in 2008 - that toy will cease to function.
Reply to
Eric

** Sure - just shove one in your back pocket.

** That Casio is a tiny, portable TV - you sheep shagging, top posting, anencephalic.

It will cease to function as a portable !!!!

............ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

it's 500mA btw, buy a $20 digital multimeter then you can measure things yourself.

: > How much mA do I need? : >

: > Regards, : > Patrick : : : P=V*I so I=P/V : : P is power in Watts : V is voltage : I is current in Amps (1000mA=1A) : : Watch the polarity!!!! : : You can use a power adapter with more current but be warned that most : of these cheap power supplies are half wave rectifiers with a capacitor. : This means they are NOT voltage regulated. Measure one that is not : loaded and verify that the output voltage is higher than stated. : : : :

Reply to
Ed ()

"Lord Garth" wrote

You can use a power adapter with more current but be warned that most of these cheap power supplies are half wave rectifiers with a capacitor. This means they are NOT voltage regulated.

*** Er,where did this nonsense come from.Half wave???????????????

Brian Goldsmith.

Reply to
Brian Goldsmith

Some have a half wave rectifier some have full wave, almost all are crap and none of that type are voltage regulated. Cut some open and look or just scope the output. The point is that he should not use that type.

Reply to
Lord Garth

"Lord Garth"

** Some adaptors use two diodes, others have four diodes or a bridge rectifier - in all cases that is full wave rectification.

.............. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

WHICH ONE IS HALF WAVE?

If a device has an onboard voltage regulator then the requirement for the power supply to do the same is false economy and inefficient.

: > "Lord Garth" wrote : >

: >

: > You can use a power adapter with more current but be warned that most : > of these cheap power supplies are half wave rectifiers with a capacitor. : > This means they are NOT voltage regulated. : >

: > *** Er,where did this nonsense come from.Half wave??????????????? : >

: > Brian Goldsmith. : >

: Some have a half wave rectifier some have full wave, almost all are crap : and none of that type are voltage regulated. Cut some open and look or : just scope the output. The point is that he should not use that type. : : : : : : :

Reply to
Ed ()

I'd look at the output on a scope. If there were no capacitor the wave form would have an area of essentially 0 volts between pulses whose frequency is equal to your mains frequency. The near zero area is 1 half cycle wide. This uses one rectifier.

If full wave, the pulses are at twice your mains frequency. This uses two rectifiers.

There is also the full wave bridge configuration. This is used when a center tap exists. This uses 4 rectifiers.

A regulated DC power supply will simply offset the sweep if the scope is DC coupled. There should be no sign of the mains AC in the trace,

Reply to
Lord Garth

Patrick, get one with *at least* 500mA rating. I'd go for about 750mA to give some margin, esp. since it appears you're in a warmer climate.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

"Lord Garth"

** No regular adaptor on sale is like this.

** More stupid errors !!

The FULL WAVE circuit use two diodes and a centre tap.

A"bridge rectifier" uses four diodes and no need for a centre tap.

** Any supply with a filter cap will ALSO show pure DC with no load.

............. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

How odd, I have one. I bought it because the case screwed together allowing me to remove the diode and cap as these were inside the 70's vintage Corvus digital clock already. I needed low voltage AC. Its been running since

1979 with only 2 down intervals so far due to failed caps. Clearly, it was one of a large quantity of injection molded power supplies so 'regular' is the qualifier. Maybe it's not regular or common but it is sold.

The full wave bridge would have a center tap if it was part of a bipolar supply....I'll mark that one half off.

Reply to
Lord Garth

"Lord Garth" = congenital idiot "Phil Allison"

** Blatant lie.

** No cap at all in the one you described above - wanker.
** What a desperate bloody liar.

........... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

wave

I didn't see you standing there in my home 26 years ago! You're an absolute superman.

As if you saw me remove said cap...you know, cylindrical device about 3/4" in length, radial leads and labeled 100uF 16V. Sorry, wanker was not the manufacturer.

uses

How would you build a bipolar power supply that used a full wave bridge and a transformer?

I'm always willing to learn. You can post your schematic to A.B.S.E.

Reply to
Lord Garth

1

when

bipolar

Easy, transformer with centre tapped secondary. Common rail connected to the centre tap. Bridge rectifier connected to ends of windings. Filtering caps connected between + and - outputs of the bridge to the common rail. Easy as... :)

Check ou the circuit at -

The left hand side of the circuit up to capacitors C1 and C2 (before the regulator ICs) is an example of a simple bi-polar power supply. The common rail is the junction between the two filter capacitors C1 and C2 which connects back to the centre tap (6) of the transformer.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

"Alan Rutlidge iinet.net.au>"

when a

bipolar

Exactly! But other seems to think that me a "...desperate bloody liar" However, I know he knows better. I really could not possibly care less. As it is close to tomorrow here, G'day and goodnight from this side of the terminator.

Reply to
Lord Garth

is

Appears you've missed the word IF above.... *yawn* Good day.

Reply to
Lord Garth

yeah whatever, as if theyre actually gonna turn it off. the public whinge will see that extended

wotta wanka why would you have less "sense" not buying the 'casio one' switchmode 6v 1amp jobs from dickys would be more than adiquate, better v-reg and most probably cheaper.... pffft buy the casio one? you reject!!!!

Reply to
Matt2 - Amstereo