Help: triangle security bit wanted

Hi all,

I need to open a domestic fan casing which is is screwed in using screws
with heads having triangular recesses, similar to the one in the picture
below:

http://eecue.com/img/images_pic-large-24144-New_furby_triangle_security_screw.jpg

Any idea where I can get a screwdriver or bit to fit these screws?  The
commonly available sets from Jaycar and Dick Smith don't appear to contain
this type of bit.

Cheers,

Rab (rarsin at hotmail dot com)

Re: Help: triangle security bit wanted

I had the need to open quite a few items with these screws a year or so
ago, and I couldn't find a suitable bit anywhere.  So, I made one.

All you need to do is get a hex bit of the right size, and file off
three of the points.  Voila - triangle bit.

My "prototype" worked so well that it's still in use now, even after
removing and replacing hundreds and hundreds of screws, using an
electric driver.

Peter

Re: triangle security bit wanted

http://eecue.com/img/images_pic-large-24144-New_furby_triangle_security_screw.jpg

Jaycar have a set of bits in a blue rubber casing. This set contains Torx,
Hex, Triange, two poster bits. I have this set and it is good for all sorts
of security screws.

Re: triangle security bit wanted

File an old screwdriver so it fits along one internal face snug.
I have had a filed installers screw driver here for years for these beasts.

Rob

http://eecue.com/img/images_pic-large-24144-New_furby_triangle_security_screw.jpg

Re: Help: triangle security bit wanted

You might want to check the kits again at DSE - the kit I bought from them has
the
triangle bits

David

http://eecue.com/img/images_pic-large-24144-New_furby_triangle_security_screw.jpg

Re: Help: triangle security bit wanted

Mine came in a little red plastic/rubber block of assorted bits and
drill socket from Jaycar some years ago.

tri-wing I think they are called.

Re: Help: triangle security bit wanted (NOT tri-wing)

Guys, I need a triangle bit, not a tri-wing bit.  The sets sold by Jaycar
and DSE contain tri-wing bits, which look like this:

http://www.action-electronics.com/grc/ez20786.jpg

The tri-wing bit is tapered like a Philips bit, but has three "wings"
instead of four like the Philips bit.  I need a bit with a triangular
cross-section and parallel sides (not tapered).

Please see this link:

http://www.lara.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?cart_id33%25543.29607&keywords=bt-3r

Cheers, Rab

Re: Help: triangle security bit wanted (NOT tri-wing)

woops

hammer?

It is real madness with all these different bits. I take apart old disk
drives and I am gradually building up a collection of ones that require
micro-torx bits.

good hunting

Re: Help: triangle security bit wanted (NOT tri-wing)

I really think a hex bit and a file is your only choice.  My own
"custom" bit works well.

Peter

Re: Help: triangle security bit wanted (NOT tri-wing)

--------------B7346D3161087EA0981AF3FD

So if you know where to buy one, why are you asking here?

David

http://www.lara.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?cart_id33%25543.29607&keywords=bt-3r

--------------B7346D3161087EA0981AF3FD

So if you know where to buy one, why are you asking here?
by Jaycar
href="
http://www.action-electronics.com/grc/ez20786.jpg">
http://www.action-electronics.com/grc/ez20786.jpg</a>