Help...Power Checker Pen?

Hi all,

I don't know anything about electronics but im after a device which I don't
know the name of...

It looks like a pen and it detects power/current and lights up.  Its good
for checking power cables for blown fuses etc.  There are no
electrodes...you just place it near the cable and it lights up if it detects
power.

I just need to know what they call these things so I can find one online and
buy it.

Many thanks
Chris

Re: Help...Power Checker Pen?

Fluke make one called the VoltAlert:
http://us.fluke.com/usen/products/Fluke+1ACII+VoltAlert.htm ?

They are "non-contact AC voltage testers" for want of a better term.

Dave :)

Re: Help...Power Checker Pen?

Jaycar have a few,
QP2274 $20

Non-Contact Volt Sensor Pocket Tester

Reliable, no fuss non-contact voltage sensor, made by IDEAL Industries and
backed by a lifetime warranty. A must for every electrician or tradesman's
pocket.
*Checks non-contact voltage from 40 to 600VAC (CAT III 600V)
*Audible AND visual indication - even Fluke's more expensive unit is visual
only!
*Tests for energised circuits
*Compact rugged housing with rubber cushion grip
*Lifetime warranty

Re: Help...Power Checker Pen?

Thanks for your replies guys

Thats exactly what I was after, just did not have a clue what they were
called!

Thanks
Chris

Site Timeline