HELP needed with relay bounce

Hi All

I've been trying to construct a pressure regulating device, using a 12v

latching solenoid and conventional valve, to protect a filter in a home

irrigation system. I am using a pressure switch which goes contacts open at high pressure/contacts close at falling pressure. These two states in turn trigger 555 timers which in turn drive small 12v SPDT relays.

The relays are configured so that in the relaxed state the circuit connects to the 0v line and when exited by the pulse from the 555, switches to supply 12v for each relay in turn. The purpose of this switching configuration is so that the 12v latching solenoid, which operates the valve, can be switched to close the valve when pressure reaches a high threshold, but then by reversing the supply voltage, is switched to open the valve at a low threshold.

This all works perfectly - until the latching solenoid is connected, whereupon the action of the solenoid causes the relays to bounce erratically.

I have tried various combinations of (non polarised) capacitors and R/C

combinations across the terminals of the solenoid, and/or across the relay. I have also tried using seperate 12v power supplies to power the two sides of the device (timing - relay activation side and power supply for solenoid side)but the action of the solenoid still causes the relays to bounce erretically.

I feel I am running out of options to solve this dilema, but am now considering the use of switching transistors or solid state relays. Only I'm not sure how to switch such devices on and off to give the necessary pulse to switch the solenoid on then off etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Reply to
chris.knight

You could try shunting the solenoid with a suitable diode to damp any reverse polarity pulses. This is also a good idea across the relay coils.

--
Regards, Chas.

To Email, replace 'xxx' with tango papa golf.
Reply to
Chas