Help identifying an SMD IC

I am trying to repair a damaged motherboard (it's a special PowerPC
motherboard) and one particular component was scorched and became
impossible to identify.

I obtained a high resolution photograph of the component in it's
original state from another owner of this board.

I don't know if this component can be identified though, (certainly not
by me anyway, with my meagre experience).

I was wondering if anyone might have any tips or a clue what the part
might be...

The part is labelled "C042" and a high resolution picture of the board
is here:

(Note: 800KB)

http://members.optusnet.com.au/rossv1/board.jpg

The part is U26 on this board, approximately right in the middle of the
photo)

Thanks for any tips,

Regards,

Ross..

Re: Help identifying an SMD IC
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 22:44:00 +1100, Ross Vumbaca

My first thought was that it may be a supervisor IC that holds the
board in a reset state until the supply reaches a predetermined
threshold. Searching for "C042" at ...

http://www.usbid.com/search/AddPartNoLogin_action.cfm

... brings up an Exar part.

Exar make many supervisor ICs, but I couldn't find a likely candidate
at the following URL:

http://www.exar.com/Common/Content/Product.aspx?Parent=2&ID11%6&SubID24 %

It is possible that "C042" is a code which identifies the threshold
voltage. Many supervisor ICs use such a marking method.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Help identifying an SMD IC
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 06:08:43 +1100, Franc Zabkar

On second thoughts, I think I was wrong.

Instead I think it may be an SN74LVC1G04DBVR or SN74LVC1G04DBVT
"single inverter gate".
http://www.ti.com/lit/gpn/sn74lvc1g04

Page 2 of the datasheet states that the top side marking is "C04_",
where the last digit indicates the "assembly/test site".

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Help identifying an SMD IC
Hi Franc,

Thanks heaps for your help, really appreciated. I wasn't able to even
find a lead..

Best regards,

Ross..

Site Timeline