Heads up: Cheap scientific calculator

**Next week, Aldi is selling their cheap scientific calculator. I bought
one awhile ago and it is almost indentical to my Casio fx-82, which
normally sells for between $20.00 ~ $30.00.

http://aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_20425.htm?WT.mc_id20%12-01-05-04-59

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Heads up: Cheap scientific calculator

Thanks for that Trevor.  I will put it on my shopping list.

Some of their deals are outstanding, especially this.

2 that came to mind were those 5 - 6" outdoor speakers identical to
the WES ones
at about half the price and 6kg boxes of cat litter crystals at about
half the price of Woolies
on one of these ALDI special deals, and we stocked up.

Also has the added advantage of pissing off Dick Smith for shopping at
Aldi.

Re: Heads up: Cheap scientific calculator

"Trevor Wilson"

** I have two calculators in regular use - a Radio Shack (Casio) EC-4012 and
a Casio fx-82SX.  The EC-4012 was made in Japan and is 27 years old while
the fx-82 was made in China and is about 15 years old.

One sits near the PC and the other on my workbench.

The annoying thing is how keyboards differ SOOOO  much - egs:

One has an X squared key with 2nd function of sq rt X  -  the other has the
reverse.

One has a "pi" key and the other uses the EXP for "pi".

One has a "y to the x "  key and the other uses the X key 2nd function for "
x to the y ".

The heavily used 1/x function uses the 2nd function of "Min" on one and of
"EXP" on the other.

The only keys in the same places and doing the same jobs are the numerals 0
to 9 !!!

You woulda thunk Casio might have standardised the keyboards a bit better.

...  Phil

Re: Heads up: Cheap scientific calculator

awhile ago and it is almost indentical to my Casio
Casio fx-82SX.  The EC-4012 was made in Japan and

I used to have a HP 41C calculator, it stopped working many years ago and
was lost forever by the idiots at Wridgeways when I moved from OZ to Europe.
Don't do business with these crooks, they are unrepentant thieving bastards.

Re: Heads up: Cheap scientific calculator
On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 01:05:30 +0100, "yaputya"

awhile ago and it is almost indentical to my Casio
a Casio fx-82SX.  The EC-4012 was made in Japan and

I have a TI-55 that I found at a rubbish tip.

==========

Re: Heads up: Cheap scientific calculator

My HP-41CV + extra memory + math function pack is sitting waiting for a
battery tab repair due to leaking cells......

It may wait another 10 years yet.

Re: Heads up: Cheap scientific calculator

My TI-55 is waiting battery replacement.
It may be interesting to see which gets done first.

==========

Re: Heads up: Cheap scientific calculator

That was my problem with my HP25 after five years. Self repaired/bodgy
and managed to get another five years out of it.

Re: Heads up: Cheap scientific calculator

I have only ever used HP scientific calculators, 21/25?, 28 and now the
48G. The first two really wore out in under ten years <mitter, mutter>.

I wasn't impressed with that happening.

The 48g is only still going as it was/is hardly used.

Re: Heads up: Cheap scientific calculator
Does anybody actually use calculators any more? there are an abundance
of calculator apps for phones of every type and computers too. Even the
one bundled with Win 7 is pretty decent, even has a programmer mode.

Re: Heads up: Cheap scientific calculator

**I can't speak for anyone else, but I use one almost daily. It's easier
than booting a computer. It's even easier than trying to find an
application. I can use one at the workbench, at the breakfast table, or
even on the sofa. Power consumption is minimal and for 4 Bucks, it
doesn't even warrant a second thought.

Still, I'm an old fashioned guy. I'm re-learning how to use my old Faber
Castell 2/83N slide rule. I even like the smell of the old girl.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Heads up: Cheap scientific calculator

I have used calculators since the HP35, after the slide-rule days.  Have
for years had a HP200LX sitting on the desk, and used its calculator app
all the time. The biggest nuisance was I needed a different calculator
app to do hex/binary calcs.  But now I use an app for the Android phone
which does all of the scientific stuff, in RPN, and hex/binary as well,
one touch to launch it on the phone, and its always with me.  Yes you do
have to charge the battery every couple of days, but at least its only
one thing to carry around and keep track of.

Re: Heads up: Cheap scientific calculator

Aint RPN great, after using my 41CV for many years it took a decade before I
stopped looking for the enter key on other calculators.

Re: Heads up: Cheap scientific calculator

I agree, I have to fumble around on any other calc, even for 1+1=2
stuff, and doing complex math is totally hopeless without RPN.

Re: Heads up: Cheap scientific calculator
doing complex math is totally hopeless without RPN.
+1

Tom

Re: Heads up: Cheap scientific calculator
err 1+ {:-)

Re: Heads up: Cheap scientific calculator

My computers are always on, just a case of clicking on the icon. If
there isn't a computer in reach, my android phone can do normal,
scientific, programming or financial calculations.

I've still got the Faber Castell 62/82 electronics slip stick, but it is
more of a sentimental attachment I haven't used it in years. I also have
a Casio scientific calculator that I bought in Japan back in 1982 and
have never found any better, but it hasn't been used in several years
either.

Re: Heads up: Cheap scientific calculator

**I don't leave my computer on. It is not always within convenient reach
and I don't have a smart 'phone. I'm happy with my $4.00 calculator.

**Different strokes. I like having a calculator handy.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Heads up: Cheap scientific calculator

The Win7 calc is good, shame you cant run it on XP.

Re: Heads up: Cheap scientific calculator

Yes, far more convenient that find one of those and fiddling with the
keys or turning it on. Actually, my brain is just as fast as most
computer calculators.

Which shows you how useless they really are.

Site Timeline