HDM I1.4 - Page 3

Re: HDM I1.4

That is the best idea for the situation - as long as you dont mind
buying the media server ;)
(not that they are that expensive now)

Re: HDM I1.4

Not so, adding a second back-up drive is still more convenient and less
expensive.

and

But are they rewritable? (as with hard disks)
And lets see, $8 x 20 disks = $160 for ~500GB, still as much or more than
2x500GB hard drives unfortunately. And NO back-up if they get lost, damaged
or just aren't as reliable as you think.
The other big advantage of a hard drive is they are much quicker to copy
files than optical media. Far easier to back-up, far easier to store, far
easier to catalog and find files.
But as long as you're happy........ :-)

MrT.

Re: HDM I1.4
Data rates beyond 1080p?  What do they have in mind?

Re: HDM I1.4

I've heard mention the next HD will be 2160 (1080x2)  and 3D so x 2 again!
Probably why the article mentioned something about 4k.

Cheers TT

Re: HDM I1.4
You are all talking about 1TB hard drives etc, How the hell am I to send
friends in Japan or USA etc a high definition 1920 x 1080p a copy of the
movies we took when were were visiting etc.
Another thing, If I want to watch a particular home movie in our large
screen theatre am I supposed to chug all the computer and bits in there. No
, of course not, I can simply take my blu ray disc in and watch it
immediately or send a copy to friends etc.
Off course I keep a master copy on HD.

John

Re: HDM I1.4

Computers with multiple copies of an operating system running at once,
wireless channelling?

Re: HDM I1.4

Actually I started taliking about HDMI 1.4 ;-)

On a DVD-R as it is far more cost effective.

My media servers are networked so no need for that.

If you are talking about 1-2hrs of HD video then BR-RE is a
viable option.

Very wise.  I also keep back up copies.

Cheers TT

Re: HDM I1.4

<snip>

People still haven't got the idea of network media streamers have they?

You don't need Blu-Ray in this case.
If the file exists, stream it off to the TV using a cheap media streamer
i.e. a Mediagate, PS3 (not cheap), Xbox 360 etc etc - there's scores of them
out there.

I even saw a journalist reply to someone the other day, the question was
'How can I play the media files that are on my PC on my TV?"

The answer he gave ? "Get some long cables or lug the computer closer to the
TV"

good god ! - and this guy claimed to be a tech journalist !

D'grooter
--
##
The intelligent man wins his battles with pointed words. I'm sorry -- I

Re: HDM I1.4
Hi Terry,
No problems here with HDMI 1.3. Even the very cheap cables from Hong Kong
work great. It all comes down to buying good equipment i guess. I have
Panasonic Blu ray Player, Marantz 2002 & 2003 pross & Sony Projector. DVD
yuck, Blu ray Fantastic.

Re: HDM I1.4

Hi John,

Yes problems with HDMI 1.2 talking to 1.3 here and all Sony gear :-(   I
should mention the only piece of gear giving the least amount of trouble is
a Beyonwiz media centre and HDTV recorder but then it only does up to 1080i.

Had to replace a cheap 10m cable because it would only pass up to 1080i.  A
high band width good quality cable fixed it.

Yes, I am very pleased with Blu-ray as well.  I am normally an early adopter
of this sort of gear but I am pleased I waited a while this time.  My Sony
5200ES receiver (only HDMI1.2) has gotta go as it is the problem at the
moment.

Cheers Terry