HDM I1.4

No

Please read the end of my post Quote:

"Burnable discs do have their place, they are great if you want to burn a few GB of files, to post or give to someone else. "

For your home theatre - most modern DVD (& blu-ray?) players have a USB input, with this you can use an EXTERNAL USB hard drive, (under $200 for 1TB) and play your movies direct from that. Saves the hassle if you are burning discs just to watch them a couple of times.

ly

lures

?

n.

ed

and

an

and

Reply to
KR

For your home theatre - most modern DVD (& blu-ray?) players have a USB input, with this you can use an EXTERNAL USB hard drive, (under $200 for 1TB) and play your movies direct from that. Saves the hassle if you are burning discs just to watch them a couple of times.

Or stream it over the network through your media server or PS3. That even saves on moving any hardware at all ;-) Far, far more convenient.

Cheers TT

Reply to
TT

Actually I started taliking about HDMI 1.4 ;-)

On a DVD-R as it is far more cost effective.

My media servers are networked so no need for that.

If you are talking about 1-2hrs of HD video then BR-RE is a viable option.

Very wise. I also keep back up copies.

Cheers TT

Reply to
TT

That is the best idea for the situation - as long as you dont mind buying the media server ;) (not that they are that expensive now)

Reply to
KR

I can see BluRay disks dropping to $1 long before ~25GB memory sticks drop to that price however. Personally I see a continuing market for hard drives, memory sticks *and* optical media for some time yet. Further down the track things may well change however.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

I expect the "solid state" hard drive will become increasingly affordable and very popular

Reply to
atec 7 7

People still haven't got the idea of network media streamers have they?

You don't need Blu-Ray in this case. If the file exists, stream it off to the TV using a cheap media streamer i.e. a Mediagate, PS3 (not cheap), Xbox 360 etc etc - there's scores of them out there.

I even saw a journalist reply to someone the other day, the question was 'How can I play the media files that are on my PC on my TV?"

The answer he gave ? "Get some long cables or lug the computer closer to the TV"

good god ! - and this guy claimed to be a tech journalist !

D'grooter

--
##
The intelligent man wins his battles with pointed words. I\'m sorry -- I

No moving parts and you don't F*** 'em when you drop 'em ;-)

Cheers TT

Reply to
TT

they still break , seems apple users are still clueless :)

Reply to
atec 7 7

Agreed, but now put a time frame on 25GB sticks dropping to $1? Before blu-ray disks get there? I doubt it! And I won't hold my breathe for 1TB solid state drives to be cheaper than magnetic Hard drives either. All will get bigger and cheaper for some time before magnetic and optical media dies out completely IMO.

But you're still welcome to make your own choices in the mean time :-)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

they wont but I expect the organis drives to do so VERY quickly

and yet again this arvo I bought another usb/1t drive for transporting some movies

Reply to
atec 7 7

s.eternal-september.org...

Flash/USB drives won't drop below a particular retail price level (eg: $9.95), but over time you will just get more and more GB for that price level, and proportionally more at higher price levels (say $30, $50 $100 $200 etc.).

Magnetic hard drives now start at about 80G minimum typically, at about $50 or so new. External ones are a bit more, and more still if you want laptop external ones.

They are by far the cheapest form of media currently on the market (in the really large sizes)

I doubt that there is currently a USB / flash drive of that size available retail, and would hate to see the price tag if there was ;). biggest I could find in a quick search is 16 GB USB for $50 or $75 for 16GB CF which is cheaper than I thought it would be.

Reply to
KR

I have a Corsair 32 GB USB flash drive for $159 and there's a 64 GB version for $329. I bought it at CX computing. See

PaulR

than

time

And inside was a standard magnetic hard disk drive I bet. NOT a solid state hard drive you claim "will become increasingly popular". So how exactly does that contradict what I said?

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Flash/USB drives won't drop below a particular retail price level (eg: $9.95), but over time you will just get more and more GB for that price level, and proportionally more at higher price levels (say $30, $50 $100 $200 etc.). Magnetic hard drives now start at about 80G minimum typically, at about $50 or so new. External ones are a bit more, and more still if you want laptop external ones. They are by far the cheapest form of media currently on the market (in the really large sizes) I doubt that there is currently a USB / flash drive of that size available retail, and would hate to see the price tag if there was ;). biggest I could find in a quick search is 16 GB USB for $50 or $75 for 16GB CF which is cheaper than I thought it would be.

-----------------------------------

64 GB USB and SD cards are available *IF* you really want to pay that much. But as I said, as flash media falls in price/increases in capacity, so too will magnetic hard drives and optical disks. It will be a while yet before they become cheaper per GB. In the meantime they serve different purposes and all types still sell well.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Yep, 64 GB for the price of a 2TB hard drive. Worthwhile for a number of selective purposes I guess. But not for general storage as yet.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

10 years?
Reply to
Arny Krueger

And to think in 1992 when I bought my first Acer 486 computer for nearly $4,000 it was an SX33 with a huge 160MB HD (that died nearly straight away and was upgraded to

210MB) , extra 1MB of RAM to bring it up to 2MB and a 2x CD drive that held data discs of a massive 640MB!!!! 3 times the HD size. Ahhhh... them were the days ;-) And the processor speed was so poor that it had trouble playing Doom and using the chain gun! And I used to walk 20 miles to school in the ice and snow, "lived in shoe box in middle of road" and ....etc, etc :-)) :-))

Cheers TT

Reply to
TT

Don't forget that the walk to and from school was uphill, BOTH ways!!!!

Reply to
Lord Garth

wrong . size wise not possible NOT a solid state

did I say that ?

Reply to
atec 7 7