HDM I1.4 - Page 2

Re: HDM I1.4

Flash/USB drives won't drop below a particular retail price level (eg:
$9.95), but over time you will just get more and more GB for that
price level, and proportionally more at higher price levels (say $30,
$50  $100 $200 etc.).

Magnetic hard drives now start at about 80G minimum typically, at
about $50 or so new. External ones are a bit more, and more still if
you want laptop external ones.

They are by far the cheapest form of media currently on the market (in
the really large sizes)

I doubt that there is currently a USB / flash drive of that size
available retail, and would hate to see the price tag if there
was  ;).   biggest I could find in a quick search is 16 GB USB for
$50
or $75 for 16GB  CF    which is cheaper than I thought it would be.

Re: HDM I1.4

I have a Corsair 32 GB USB flash drive for $159 and there's a 64 GB
version for $329.  I bought it at CX computing.  See
http://tinyurl.com/ncf5ya
Cheers

Re: HDM I1.4

Yep, 64 GB for the price of a 2TB hard drive. Worthwhile for a number of
selective purposes I guess. But not for general storage as yet.

MrT.

Re: HDM I1.4

Flash/USB drives won't drop below a particular retail price level (eg:
$9.95), but over time you will just get more and more GB for that
price level, and proportionally more at higher price levels (say $30,
$50  $100 $200 etc.).
Magnetic hard drives now start at about 80G minimum typically, at
about $50 or so new. External ones are a bit more, and more still if
you want laptop external ones.
They are by far the cheapest form of media currently on the market (in
the really large sizes)
I doubt that there is currently a USB / flash drive of that size
available retail, and would hate to see the price tag if there
was  ;).   biggest I could find in a quick search is 16 GB USB for
$50 or $75 for 16GB  CF    which is cheaper than I thought it would be.

-----------------------------------

64 GB USB and SD cards are available *IF* you really want to pay that much.
But as I said, as flash media falls in price/increases in capacity, so too
will magnetic hard drives and optical disks.
It will be a while yet before they become cheaper per GB. In the meantime
they serve different purposes and all types still sell well.

MrT.

Re: HDM I1.4

And to think in 1992 when I bought my first Acer 486
computer for nearly $4,000 it was an SX33 with a huge 160MB
HD (that died nearly straight away and was upgraded to
210MB) , extra 1MB of RAM to bring it up to 2MB and a 2x CD
drive that held data discs of a massive 640MB!!!! 3 times
the HD size.  Ahhhh... them were the days ;-)  And the
processor speed was so poor that it had trouble playing Doom
and using the chain gun!  And I used to walk 20 miles to
school in the ice and snow, "lived in shoe box in middle of
road" and ....etc, etc    :-))  :-))

Cheers TT

Re: HDM I1.4

Don't forget that the walk to and from school was uphill, BOTH ways!!!!

Re: HDM I1.4

Yes, and it was back in the days before electricity too - LOL

Re: HDM I1.4

Ewww a PC in 1992. There was a time when a computer's performance and
usability didn't come down to how fast your processor was, or how big
the hard disk. My PC friends were always envious of my Amiga, now those
were the days ;-).

Regards,

Ross..

Re: HDM I1.4

I've still got an Amiga 2000.  Equipped with a 68010 processor, fatter Agnus
chip, GVP SCSI controller and RAM board equipped with 3 Meg of RAM (yep you
read that right), Quantum 100MB HDD with both Kickstart V1.2 and 1.3 chips.
Modified with a couple of switches to switch between the two Kickstart ROMs
and also to disable the HDD detection as some older floppy based games
didn't run if the HDD was detected at boot-up.  All running into an NEC
Multisync II monitor with external amp and speakers.  In its day it was a
kick-arse machine, leaving the PC platform in the dust.

Re: HDM I1.4

Agnus
you
chips.
ROMs

And that day has LOOOONG since passed. Some people also thought the MicroBee
was a kick ass machine in it's day, but not for long :-)

MrT.

Re: HDM I1.4

Too true Mr.T, but we are talking a bloody long time ago.
I remember the days before pocket calculators, when you had to work things
out either in your head or on paper using tables and a slide rule. :P

Re: HDM I1.4

Have you heard the one about the constipated mathematician. He worked it
out with a pencil.   :-(

David Shorter

Re: HDM I1.4

Hi,

Nice to see that some people still remember and even own Amigas :-). I
only had a lowly stock A500 mysef, but I later acquired most of the
range (i.e when people didn't want them anymore) in an attempt to keep
using them and to contribute to the new "OS4".. Computers just aren't
fun anymore.. :-\

Regards,

Ross..

Re: HDM I1.4

10 years?

Re: HDM I1.4

I'm betting maybe a little sooner than that, but still a HELL of a lot
longer than for Blu-ray disks and hard drive space to hit that mark.

MrT.

Re: HDM I1.4

Burnt data DVD's do fail, they also are a pain in the arse to burn
(take a long time and you have to keep changing discs, grouping files
to fit the available space per disc,  a pain in the arse to search
through to find a particular item, too much on them in many cases to
label them with contents, and after that - they DO fail over time.
You might only get one error per 25 discs or so, but if that wipes out
an entire HD movie(s) or something even more important - then thats
the end of it.

Even if you went to the extreme of reburning them onto new discs every
few years to keep "fresh" copies for archival purposes, not taking
into account the cost, there is enormous amount of time and effort
involved.  To transfer 1TB from one hard drive to another, takes a few
hours to do, but at least you can walk away and let it happen or do it
overnight, you dont have to stand there and change discs over every 10
min or so.

1 TB of DVD discs takes up a lot more physical space than a 1TB
drive.  Unless you can fit your movies EXACTLY into 4.3 G parts (to
fit a disc) you are going to waste a lot of space over all the discs,
if you can only use on average (say) 3-4G of each disc for a group of
files.

Even with 25GB discs - they would still take up more room than a 1TB
hard drive, and all the
above problems still apply.

Go for the hard drive (with backup), its a lot less hassle.

Have seen 1TB  SATA internal drives for around $125.  At that price
you can buy 2 of them and make 2 copies of important data then lock
one away as a backup "just in case".

By this time next year 2Tb drives will probably be that price, by then
your collection will probably have grown to fill one  ;)

Burnable discs do have their place, they are great if you want to burn
a few GB of files,  to post or give to someone else.

Re: HDM I1.4

Buy a SATA docking station (cheap on Ebay or at North Rocks) then you
can just plug a disk into make your backup, remove it to store it safely
using 2 disks alternately then you have a recent backup should one fail,
or even if there is some system problem like a virus.

Re: HDM I1.4
You are all talking about 1TB hard drives etc, How the hell am I to send
friends in Japan or USA etc a high definition 1920 x 1080p a copy of the
movies we took when were were visiting etc.
Another thing, If I want to watch a particular home movie in our large
screen theatre am I supposed to chug all the computer and bits in there. No
, of course not, I can simply take my blu ray disc in and watch it
immediately or send a copy to friends etc.
Off course I keep a master copy on HD.

John

[...]

Please read the end of my post
Quote:

"Burnable discs do have their place, they are great if you want to
burn
a few GB of files,  to post or give to someone else. "

For your home theatre - most modern DVD (& blu-ray?) players have a
USB input, with this
you can use an EXTERNAL USB hard drive, (under $200 for 1TB) and play
your movies direct from that.
Saves the hassle if you are burning discs just to watch them a couple
of times.

Re: HDM I1.4

For your home theatre - most modern DVD (& blu-ray?) players
have a
USB input, with this
you can use an EXTERNAL USB hard drive, (under $200 for 1TB)
and play
your movies direct from that.
Saves the hassle if you are burning discs just to watch them
a couple
of times.

Or stream it over the network through your media server or
PS3.  That even saves on moving any hardware at all ;-)
Far, far more convenient.

Cheers TT

Site Timeline