HDM I1.4

Sorry for the cross posts but it is relevant to all groups.

Here we go again guys (and gals) as it's all about to change again.

see http://dvicosupport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p87%#87

I just hope they nail all the compatibility and retro-fitting problems with
this new standard.

BTW I am having issues right now with HDMI 1.2 and 1.3b compatibility from
the same manufacturer! Sony should actually be one the ones have this nailed
by now.

Cheers TT

Re: HDM I1.4

Hi, TT.  Does anyone have information on compatibility of home-burned BluRay
with players? I've heard it's not good.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Re: HDM I1.4

While the price of the discs are so high I have no intention of burning BR
at all (like most people).  So basically a BR-RE disc holds 25GB and at A$15
a disc that's  40discs/1TB or 25 x $15 = $375/TB.  Here I can pick up USB
1TB HDs for under A$200 so why would you bother?  We wont even talk about
how much of a rip off 50GB discs are ;-)

So to answer your question:  no one here cares as we find it easier and
cheaper to carry around 1TB USB drives with the HD media on.

Cheers TT

Re: HDM I1.4

I did not realize they were so expensive, but you're right, impractically
so.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Re: HDM I1.4
Yeh thats fine untill your 1TB Hard drive Decides to not to work any more.
Then you have a major problem with say all those home movies that were on
it.
Have been burning TDK discs now for over a month = 20 discs, no failures and
glorious 1080p quality.
Discs are only $8.00 and well worth it.

Re: HDM I1.4

You mean like some of my DVD-Rs have?  And your BR-RE, which will probably
do the same.  I have everything backed up on at least 2 drives. I have
nearly 7TB hanging off my main networked computer ;-)

Ditto with the burnt discs.

We will have to see how you are getting on in 5-10 years time with them?
;-)

When they get down to under A$2.00 I will be getting a burner.

Cheers Terry

Re: HDM I1.4

And the burners will also be much cheaper by then. Eventually we will all
get one, just like DVDR/W's replaced CDR/W.

MrT.

Re: HDM I1.4
wholesale the burners are affordable . like cd's they will drop from
$7.00 ro a buck..

Re: HDM I1.4

Yea, like CDROM many years ago, and DVDR/W a few years ago. Would you still
pay a few hundred dollars for one of those?

As the price of disks drops, sales of burners will increase and their price
will drop. In a couple of years they will probably replace DVDR/W burners at
a similar price. Some time between now and then the price of burners *and*
disks will make them well worth having.

MrT.

Re: HDM I1.4
They may not drop as much. By that time people will probably be using
memory chips (usb or similar)
buying their music or videos on chips etc or electronically and carrying
them on chips. Wont need cd's dvd's etc

Re: HDM I1.4

I can see BluRay disks dropping to $1 long before ~25GB memory sticks drop
to that price however.
Personally I see a continuing market for hard drives, memory sticks *and*
optical media for some time yet.
Further down the track things may well change however.

MrT.

Re: HDM I1.4
I expect the "solid state" hard drive will become increasingly
affordable and very popular

Re: HDM I1.4

No moving parts and you don't F*** 'em when you drop 'em ;-)

Cheers TT

Re: HDM I1.4
they still break , seems apple users are still clueless :)

Re: HDM I1.4

Agreed, but now put a time frame on 25GB sticks dropping to $1?
Before blu-ray disks get there?
I doubt it!
And I won't hold my breathe for 1TB solid state drives to be cheaper than
magnetic Hard drives either. All will get bigger and cheaper for some time
before magnetic and optical media dies out completely IMO.

But you're still welcome to make your own choices in the mean time :-)

MrT.

Re: HDM I1.4

  they wont  but I expect the organis drives to do so VERY quickly
  and yet again this arvo I bought another usb/1t drive for transporting
some movies

Re: HDM I1.4

than
time

And inside was a standard magnetic hard disk drive I bet. NOT a solid state
hard drive you claim "will become increasingly popular".
So how exactly does that contradict what I said?

MrT.

Re: HDM I1.4
  wrong . size wise not possible
NOT a solid state
  did I say that ?

Re: HDM I1.4

Wow, you really think you have a 1TB solid state drive? How much did it
cost?

Or does "usb/1t" just mean something else, since it is an unclear, non
standard abbreviation.

Maybe you just mean a 1GB USB stick and your whole argument is specious?

MrT.

Re: HDM I1.4
  yes
  since it is an unclear, non