HDM I1.4

Sorry for the cross posts but it is relevant to all groups.

Here we go again guys (and gals) as it's all about to change again.

see

I just hope they nail all the compatibility and retro-fitting problems with this new standard.

BTW I am having issues right now with HDMI 1.2 and 1.3b compatibility from the same manufacturer! Sony should actually be one the ones have this nailed by now.

Cheers TT

Reply to
TT

Hi, TT. Does anyone have information on compatibility of home-burned BluRay with players? I've heard it's not good.

Bob Morein (310) 237-6511

Reply to
Soundhaspriority

Data rates beyond 1080p? What do they have in mind?

Reply to
globular

I've heard mention the next HD will be 2160 (1080x2) and 3D so x 2 again! Probably why the article mentioned something about 4k.

Cheers TT

Reply to
TT

While the price of the discs are so high I have no intention of burning BR at all (like most people). So basically a BR-RE disc holds 25GB and at A$15 a disc that's 40discs/1TB or 25 x $15 = $375/TB. Here I can pick up USB

1TB HDs for under A$200 so why would you bother? We wont even talk about how much of a rip off 50GB discs are ;-)

So to answer your question: no one here cares as we find it easier and cheaper to carry around 1TB USB drives with the HD media on.

Cheers TT

Reply to
TT

I did not realize they were so expensive, but you're right, impractically so.

Bob Morein (310) 237-6511

Reply to
Soundhaspriority

Hi Terry, No problems here with HDMI 1.3. Even the very cheap cables from Hong Kong work great. It all comes down to buying good equipment i guess. I have Panasonic Blu ray Player, Marantz 2002 & 2003 pross & Sony Projector. DVD yuck, Blu ray Fantastic.

Reply to
john

Yeh thats fine untill your 1TB Hard drive Decides to not to work any more. Then you have a major problem with say all those home movies that were on it. Have been burning TDK discs now for over a month = 20 discs, no failures and glorious 1080p quality. Discs are only $8.00 and well worth it.

Reply to
john

Hi John,

Yes problems with HDMI 1.2 talking to 1.3 here and all Sony gear :-( I should mention the only piece of gear giving the least amount of trouble is a Beyonwiz media centre and HDTV recorder but then it only does up to 1080i.

Had to replace a cheap 10m cable because it would only pass up to 1080i. A high band width good quality cable fixed it.

Yes, I am very pleased with Blu-ray as well. I am normally an early adopter of this sort of gear but I am pleased I waited a while this time. My Sony

5200ES receiver (only HDMI1.2) has gotta go as it is the problem at the moment.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
TT

You mean like some of my DVD-Rs have? And your BR-RE, which will probably do the same. I have everything backed up on at least 2 drives. I have nearly 7TB hanging off my main networked computer ;-)

Ditto with the burnt discs.

We will have to see how you are getting on in 5-10 years time with them? ;-)

When they get down to under A$2.00 I will be getting a burner.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
TT

Not so, adding a second back-up drive is still more convenient and less expensive.

and

But are they rewritable? (as with hard disks) And lets see, $8 x 20 disks = $160 for ~500GB, still as much or more than

2x500GB hard drives unfortunately. And NO back-up if they get lost, damaged or just aren't as reliable as you think. The other big advantage of a hard drive is they are much quicker to copy files than optical media. Far easier to back-up, far easier to store, far easier to catalog and find files. But as long as you're happy........ :-)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

And the burners will also be much cheaper by then. Eventually we will all get one, just like DVDR/W's replaced CDR/W.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

wholesale the burners are affordable . like cd's they will drop from $7.00 ro a buck..

Reply to
atec 7 7

re.

bly

on

res

ems

ty

ve

ned

ng

and

I can

nt

and

lly

Burnt data DVD's do fail, they also are a pain in the arse to burn (take a long time and you have to keep changing discs, grouping files to fit the available space per disc, a pain in the arse to search through to find a particular item, too much on them in many cases to label them with contents, and after that - they DO fail over time. You might only get one error per 25 discs or so, but if that wipes out an entire HD movie(s) or something even more important - then thats the end of it.

Even if you went to the extreme of reburning them onto new discs every few years to keep "fresh" copies for archival purposes, not taking into account the cost, there is enormous amount of time and effort involved. To transfer 1TB from one hard drive to another, takes a few hours to do, but at least you can walk away and let it happen or do it overnight, you dont have to stand there and change discs over every 10 min or so.

1 TB of DVD discs takes up a lot more physical space than a 1TB drive. Unless you can fit your movies EXACTLY into 4.3 G parts (to fit a disc) you are going to waste a lot of space over all the discs, if you can only use on average (say) 3-4G of each disc for a group of files.

Even with 25GB discs - they would still take up more room than a 1TB hard drive, and all the above problems still apply.

Go for the hard drive (with backup), its a lot less hassle.

Have seen 1TB SATA internal drives for around $125. At that price you can buy 2 of them and make 2 copies of important data then lock one away as a backup "just in case".

By this time next year 2Tb drives will probably be that price, by then your collection will probably have grown to fill one ;)

Burnable discs do have their place, they are great if you want to burn a few GB of files, to post or give to someone else.

Reply to
KR

Yea, like CDROM many years ago, and DVDR/W a few years ago. Would you still pay a few hundred dollars for one of those?

As the price of disks drops, sales of burners will increase and their price will drop. In a couple of years they will probably replace DVDR/W burners at a similar price. Some time between now and then the price of burners *and* disks will make them well worth having.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Buy a SATA docking station (cheap on Ebay or at North Rocks) then you can just plug a disk into make your backup, remove it to store it safely using 2 disks alternately then you have a recent backup should one fail, or even if there is some system problem like a virus.

Reply to
Keithr

They may not drop as much. By that time people will probably be using memory chips (usb or similar) buying their music or videos on chips etc or electronically and carrying them on chips. Wont need cd's dvd's etc

Reply to
F Murtz

You are all talking about 1TB hard drives etc, How the hell am I to send friends in Japan or USA etc a high definition 1920 x 1080p a copy of the movies we took when were were visiting etc. Another thing, If I want to watch a particular home movie in our large screen theatre am I supposed to chug all the computer and bits in there. No , of course not, I can simply take my blu ray disc in and watch it immediately or send a copy to friends etc. Off course I keep a master copy on HD.

John

[...]

Computers with multiple copies of an operating system running at once, wireless channelling?

Reply to
globular