HDD failure - Page 2

Re: HDD failure
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:22:15 -0800 (PST), rowan194

If you drop back to DOS, then you could try SMARTUDM. It reports raw
SMART attributes. You may not need to run a complete Seatools
diagnostic. In any case, if the bad sectors have already been
reallocated, then there'll be nothing for Seatools to report.

See http://www.sysinfolab.com/download.htm

SMARTUDM is claimed to support "external UDMA/SATA/RAID controllers
(HPT/Promise/FastTrack)".

- Franc Zabkar

Re: HDD failure
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 07:56:29 +1100, Clifford Heath

IIRC, I sent my dud Seagate drive to Synnex. The replacement has been
working fine and came with a full 5 year warranty.

See http://www.synnex.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid18%8

- Franc Zabkar

Re: HDD failure

Are they an authorised Seagate distributor or more a large retailer
which supports resellers? I've never seen a Seagate warranty setup
like that - according to my local shop after 12 months I have to deal
with Seagate direct, and the drives they return are second hand/
reconditioned rather than a new replacement.

If Synnex are indeed an AU distributor for Seagate then I may actually
be able to get someone to respond to my complaint...

BTW, AFAIK a replacement Seagate drive only comes with the balance of
the original warranty, which is itself a few months under 5 years
since it's based on manufacture or ship date rather than purchase date.

Re: HDD failure

    According to the Seagate website, the Aussie distributors are:

Achieva Tech Australia Pte Ltd      61-2-9742-3288
Ingram Micro Australia Pty Ltd           1300-65-33-33
Synnex Australia Pty Ltd           61-3-8542-8888

    I got a 40GB Seagate Barracuda drive in my PC when I bought it in
2002. It's got 15,009 hours and 4,899 startup cycles on it according to
Disk Checkup and still running perfectly. It's outlasted a Samsung 80GB
drive which suddenly developed a lot of uncorrectable sectors after a
few years. Not all Seagate drives are unreliable.

Re: HDD failure

Not all drives are unreliable, that's a given.

Not all companies are unreliable either, but the
ones who've proven themselves so, simply won't
get my business.

It's not about the drives, it's about the company.

Re: HDD failure

    Yeah, I know what you mean and I agree. I've got a mental list of
companies which have given me a difficult time and/or sell products I'd
never trust again. :-(

Re: HDD failure
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:18:47 -0800 (PST), rowan194

That's what I thought, but when I checked the expiry date of the
warranty of my replacement drive on the Seagate web site, it was the
full 5 years. The original drive was about a year old, so if that's a
mistake, then I'm lucky. AFAIK the drive was replaced with a new one
from Synnex stock, so maybe that accounts for it. BTW I purchased the
original drive at a computer market and was directed to Synnex by the
Seagate web site.

- Franc Zabkar