Harvey Norman Cable Scam - Page 3

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

E-Mail Gerry Harvey, and tell him the story, Might get a response,
Then get someone to go back to hardly normal, and as someone said get the
salesman  [insist, make a lot of noise] to use Monster cables on both feeds,
and watch him tell you that one of the cables is faulty.
                                                                        bassett

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:26:39 +1100, "bassett"

They aren't interested.

I had a nasty situation about 4 years back where a salesperson sold me
a PDA, then proceeded to pull the display one off the in-store display
(that everyone of the general public had been handling and fiddling
with for days) and put it back in it's box.  They refused to even
order in a new boxed unit.  For a $1000 sale - Im sure they would have
been happy to get one shipped in overnight, but I was wrong.

I was less than amused - didn't go ahead with the sale, stating that I
"would go to cash  converters if I wanted to buy used goods" and
complained in writing to the head office.  They more or less replied -
"why did you bother us with this for ? - it's an independent
franchise, take it up with the store itself".  Naturally the store did
nothing, and It would appear that they don't really care much about
what their franchisees do, or of the "good name" of the company.

In the end - the (now extinct) chandlers "X-site" bent over backwards
to look after me.  They didn't have stock of many PDA's generally, but
got the thing in for me overnight.

(Before anyone comments - there were no other dealers of PDA units
anywhere near where I live at that time.)

I would imagine that most retailers that engage in this sort of
deceptive act would work on the basis that 99% of their customers will
cop whatever shit is dished out to them, and the profit that they make
out of those sales will much, much more than cover the 1% who actually
demand a refund, do a chargeback, or ultimately take the matter to the
ACCC or small claims court - even if they do win.  it would be like a
drop in the ocean.

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

supplier

Yes, *IF* a choice is given, there should be no argument.

"poetic
have

Yep, his profit is far more important than customer service.

mad
would
retail

Unfortunately many do, even when they are in the wrong.

if

Would have asked if he wanted the demo in the first place!

was

Yep, but it is annoying when you have already gotten to the wrap it up
stage.

WALK,

Sometimes it's more complicated than that. Many years ago I put a camera on
layby. When I picked it up, the new camera had been swapped for a demo
model. After speaking to the Dept manager and shop manager, they still
refused a replacement or refund (no more stock) Only after I went to
consumer affairs did I get a refund. I never went in that shop again for
over 10 years, and it was one of Melb's largest dept stores. It isn't any
longer and I'm not surprised.
Why Gerry Harvey has done so well DOES surprise me though.

change

So you should have to ask a salesperson to be honest, and I guess you'll
believe them afterwards :-)

cos

Not surprising then that customers are sick of know it all salespeople who
really know nothing.

week
didnt

I guess consumers are better off now you've gone at least.

MrT.

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

Agree.  In my years in retail sales I had many occassions where the only
item left was the demo, so before the customer decided to buy or not to buy
I would make sure they knew that we only had the demo, and that it would
take x weeks to get another, or that they were no longer available - as the
case may be.  Then it was up to the customer and no nasty surprises!  If
they took the demo model they were always offered something in return -
either a discount, or something extra thrown in, up to them, but all this
was told to them *well* before we got to the "I'll take it" stage!!

If for some reason it did get to that stage and I discovered that we had no
stock left, then I would put it to the customer and ask them what they
wanted to do - *never* just re-pack the demo and presume they would take it
without complaint!  It takes but a few extra minutes to go that extra little
distance for a customer, but it can help your reputation immensly.  I had
customers that would visit my store, having driven past two or three other
branches of the same store, just because they knew I wouldn't stuff them
around or lead them astray.

And there is little excuse for this, especially given today's tracking
abilities of the store register/computer.  There is no reason that a
salesperson couldn't check stock, or if they suddenly discovered only the
demo left, at the very least ask the customer if that is OK first.  You can
get $1000's off a demo car as opposed to a brand new one, but I'm yet to see
a car saleperson drive the demo out the back and then produce it as a brand
new model!!

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

| Yes, *IF* a choice is given, there should be no argument.

Agreed...   ...and I always new my stock and always gave them the choice...

| Yep, his profit is far more important than customer service.

Agreed...   ...thats why I left The Derney Group (Harvey Norman and Domayne)

| Unfortunately many do, even when they are in the wrong.

Disagree...   ...you must have had a bad run my friend...   :-S

| Yep, but it is annoying when you have already gotten to the wrap it up
| stage.

As a salesman you know ur stock level and know what you have to offer - get
to the "wrap-up stage" (as you put it?) and you ask them if they want one -
if you have new stock you DONT sell the display, if the display is all thats
left, you already know this AND ALSO know if you can get them from another
store or supplier and you them then know while you are selling the item - so
that you dont waste their shopping time.

If they want one ordered - order it, if they want the display, then pack it
up, clean it up, check all the bits are there and make sure it is in "as
new" condition.

It all boils down to (and someone else posted it here in this thread too!)
that a GOOD salesman knows his stock and what he can and cant do and informs
the person as part of the sale...

| Sometimes it's more complicated than that.

If it is then ur rights have been abused and you have HUNDREDS of avenues to
follow - well ok, not hundreds but you are in the right, just as your camera
story showed and it WOULD have been a problem if you were served by me!  ;-)

| So you should have to ask a salesperson to be honest, and I guess you'll
| believe them afterwards :-)

It was a generic statement - tell a salesperson youre not into bullshit and
fancy extras, but that you just want the product and the fact and they will
probably like it more...   ...most customers enter a store, stand in front
of a salesperson as if you ask "...NOW!  Impress me  Monkey Boy!  Show me
your tricks!!!" and then make them bend over backwards and NEVER buy -
wasting time, wasting effort - tyre kickers!...

...ever looked around a store and couldnt find a salesman because you were
ready to buy or ask questions - 50% of the time thats because one of the
people described above, a tyre-kicker, was wasting a salespersons time!

| Not surprising then that customers are sick of know it all salespeople who
| really know nothing.

Trained as an Electronics Engineer, Computer Technician - worked for
repairers for most of the major printer, computer manufacturers, was IBM
cert. to repair IBM equipment and was well versed in my craft, and made sure
I was trained well in customer service and sales...

...oh, by the way - customer service and sales are two COMPLETELY different
things - despite what customers think!

| I guess consumers are better off now you've gone at least.

No they are not, when I left dick smith, domayne I had customers in my town
follow me to different stores so they could get my service!

Relax, I spose you need to insult someone you dont know to make your point -
shame...

--  Richard

PS  --  I know run two business on my own and have a tidy customer base
which is a testiment to my customer service and sales ability!  ;-)

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

to keyboard and composed:

<snip>

I visited the horse's mouth to see what they had to say. I don't know
exactly which cable HN was using, but here is Monster Cable's "Z300
Ultra High-Resolution Precision Component Video Cable":

 http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin13%06

The claimed features are:

Silver coated center conductor for improved frequency response.
High density double shielding for ultimate rejection of interference.
Nitrogen-injected dielectric insulator for maximum signal strength.
Patented 24k gold contact Turbine® RCA connectors for superior signal
transfer.

IMO, anyone comtemplating the surrender of a day or two's wages in
exchange for a 1m cable needs medical help. Of course the same could
be said of the people who set the prices. Notice that a 2m cable costs
US$80 more than a 1m cable, but an additional 2m (2m -> 4m) costs only
$30 extra.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:     MODEL:           U.S. RETAIL PRICE:

1 m. length             Z300CV-1M       $119.95
2 m. length             Z300CV-2M       $199.95
4 m. length             Z300CV-4M       $229.95

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

While I haven't gotten the motivation to do anything particularly effective
yet, I did drop into a different Harvey Normans while I was near this
afternoon. I mooched about the big-screen TV area until a sales guy
sauntered up - I mentioned that a friend had purchased a plasma the other
day and had been shown the image quality of some Monster cables - she had
been very impressed by the difference they made, and I was hoping to see if
the difference was as marked as she had said.

Straight up, the guy said it was a scam, and asked me if I knew the
difference between composite and component. Indicating that I might, he
claimed that the particular split-screen or picture-in-picture demonstration
my friend had seen was in fact promoted as a sales technique by Monster
cables. It just involved showing the composite signal on one side, and
component on the other.

While he went on about the demonstration being misleading, and that they
didn't sell Monster cables out of "principle" (oh the irony - this coming
from a guy in sales) he showed me some "Geko" or something brand - $125 for
1.5m - he said I could have it for $100, which probably meant he was only
making $50 on it...

The guy confirmed their store was different franchise to the one where my
friend had bought her Plasma. What I did find interesting was the claim that
Monster (or the Oz distributor) encouraged this misleading demonstration.

While I'm not that motivated to go hassle some scummy HN franchise who
couldn't give a rat's about sales ethics (or the Trade Practices Act),
giving the king of all snake-oil companies, Monster, a kick in the ribs
holds some attraction - I'm only human after all...

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

"Poxy"

** Quote from earlier in this thread:

" Monster is just about the smoothest con ever  -  a blatant, right in your
face scam.

If a shop even sells Monster Cables  -  I suggest you simply walk out.

Maybe tell the manager why first - if you have the nerve to.  "

.............    Phil

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

Many, MANY moons ago, a salesman at one of Melbourne's most reputable HiFi
stores explained to me that their expensive speaker cables had thick strands
for the low notes and thin strands fot the high notes.
I'd never name them of course.
Think Bridge road.
Think Richmond.

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

HiFi
strands

Think Encel. However, Vince Testa, formerly the owner of Symphonia
Audio told the same story over and over. Sad thing is , he actually
believed it.

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

Vince...ahhh the green pen man...
and not only going mad on green pens but selling rebadged $2.00 green
pens for $8.00....and beyond...
Of course a certain wholesaler in Sydney (one who may have played with
Q.E.D. alot)  decided to import the original green pen from the USA.
retail $28.00

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

Well, thats no bloody good - no mid range at all hey?

David

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

We heard you the first time.

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

"Michael"

 **  We ????

 Who is this "We"

You and your strutting, pig god ego ???

...........    Phil

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam - Improve the World

 Look, you've taken the trouble to "Warn Others" (below),
 and that is good.

 Now, printout your story/warning & add some details of
 place, date, customer number (maybe get your friend to
 sign & have notarised a Stat Dec with her story on it)
 & (together) file a complaint with your State/Territory
 Consumer Affairs office.

 IT COSTS COMPANIES MONEY TO BE COMPLAINED ABOUT...
 COMPLAINING CAN HELP THEM DECIDE TO STOP DOING THIS

 Oh, and why not send a copy to your city's [Letters
 to the] Editor (newspaper), ring your local TalkJocks
 (on the ABC, if you want a chance to be heard without
 being insulted... ;-), put up the story on bulletin
 boards at/near the shopping center where your HN is.

 Oh, and - of course - speak to the manager.

 Other posters: Why not -encourage- this kind of pro-
                active response happening, ie instead
                of reducing the chance that it will...

                (eg, don't suggest a person might not
                have the confidence to speak to the
                manager... why I do it all the time,
                and I get a deep satisfaction from
                -adding- that I'll be telling the
                story - both locally (at various clubs
                & association meetings) -and-
                on the Internet.

                (Of course, speak assertively, and
                -not- insultingly to the manager &
                - to avoid a law suit - be careful
                not to commit libel when you publish
                the story of what happened.

                "I was told..." is better than
                "S/he said..." (one tells YOUR
                perceptions (hence your best memory),
                the other may be disputed &
                even be deemed libelous,
                in some cases.)

                Oh, when I am in a -crowded-
                store, and I've got an obvious
                scam... I usually speak LOUDER
                so other would-be customers
                can hear me (not loud enough to
                be deemed a public nuisance)
                and my points clearly.

                A manager often changes tune
                (and even make more than a
                token offer to "settle" the
                matter, so I'll go away quickly ;-)

                Of course, it's good to have
                a reasonable counteroffer, at
                such times, ie, so your time
                will be (almost) compensated. :-)

TV.
cable
input.
the
Monster
the
the
dubious

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam - Improve the World

Total around 400. I'm going to leave Australia to the Australians. The
people we call "aboriginals" might like that.

Goodbye, you didn't leave a good impression today.

quality
the
He
images
was
at
of
was

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam - Improve the World

Well I doubt anyone from Weiser Idaho would know the difference.
Goodbye to you too.

Site Timeline