Harvey Norman Cable Scam

A friend was at Harvey Normans the other day, purchasing a plasma screen TV.
After they'd negotiated the price - about $4,400 for an LG highish-res
panel, the sales guy then suggested they purchase a special component cable
for hooking up their DVD player to the screen to achieve the best quality
from their new screen.

For demonstration, he switched the panel to split-screen mode showing the
same DVD title playing on each half, but connected by different cables. He
was attempting to imply that the marked difference between the two images
was due to the use of a "Monster" brand component video cable on one input.
My friend gave me a call at the time and explained what the sales guy was
trying to say, and commented that the Monster side had better detail in the
blacks and looked better than the other half. I told her that it sounded
like a scam and hold off for the moment - she could always purchase it at a
later date, as he wasn't offering any great deal on the cable.

Subsequently, I worked out that they had hooked up the component output of
the DVD player to one side, and the composite output to the other, and was
then trying to claim that the improved picture was purely due to the Monster
brand cable.

This strikes me as a blatantly dishonest and misleading demonstration - the
salesman never stated that the difference in quality was largely (if not
entirely) due to the alternative signal format, rather he misrepresented the
comparison with the goal of selling an obscenely overpriced cable of dubious
benefit over a base-quality component cable.

Why? The 1m Monster cable costs $270.

Methinks a call to the ACCC is in order.

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

Perhaps a "test" is in order, send someone else in to get the sales guy to run
though
the same pitch, but educate the person who is sent before hand on what each
cable
looks like so they can identify it. Preferably a person who seems naive to the
world
of hifi.

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

 I expect that even if you catch the "salesman" red-handed in a calculated
fraud, that Harvey Norman will deny that they have any legal responsibility
for the unsanctioned excesses of their sub-contract employee.

Outside the law, in the past, this sort of person used to end up with a bit
of a kicking. Today? Quien sabe?

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

"Poxy"

**  Fake demonstrations have been standard practice for sales charlatans for
centuries  -  door to door vacuum cleaner salesmen had them perfected over
50 years ago.  Almost any hi-fi salesman is expert at the art of creating
biased and false demonstrations.

The resident charlatan on aus.hi-fi is Trevor Wilson  -  but he is a rank
amateur compared to the reptiles in shiny suits that lurk in the posh,
up-market stores.

Monster is just about the smoothest con ever  -  a blatant, right in your
face scam.

If a shop even sells Monster Cables  -  I suggest you simply walk out.

Maybe tell the manager why first - if you have the nerve to.

 ..........    Phil

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:30:24 +1100, "Phil Allison"

That pretty, clear transclucent insulation over those fine tin plated
wire sheilds do look good though. i almost want to buy some thinking
about it.

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

I think, though, that there is a difference between the "emperor has no
clothes" type approach seen in the Hi-Fi world, where a customer is
convinced that certain speaker cables sound better, where the only possible
deception is a relatively poor understanding of the subjectivity of
listening test, versus a live split-scren video comparison where the
difference is clearly evident to even the most ignorant viewer.

To me, the difference is more like switching between FM radio and a CD, and
claiming the clear difference heard is due to the RCA cables from the CD
player being more expensive than those used to connect the tuner.

Of course, there is nothing new about dodgy salesmen, I'm just a little
fired up because a friend almost got scammed by some lowly spiv. I imagine
the ACCC will set me straight as to the likelyhood of any positive action to
address this kind of scam (ie, little to none).

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

"Poxy"

**  Sales charlatans gain a person's trust first and then exploit their
naivety  -  that is how fake demos work. Whether by word, voice tone, facial
expression, body langauge, inference or whatever a deception is created in
the mind of the customer  -  a sale then follows.  That is basic consumer
fraud.

**  It's a fake demo   -  a very blatant one.

**  The right body in NSW is Fair Trading  -  you can get your friend to
file a complaint report. The complaint will be referred to the store -  who
will simply deny.

Better if your friend HAD bought the Monster Cable, then you demo to him
that it makes no difference when tested correctly  -   then HE returns the
junk for a full refund with YOU as his witness on a busy Saturday morning.

 Heaps of fun.

............    Phil

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 00:36:59 +1100, "Phil Allison"

PHIL ALLISON LIKES TO POST HELP OCCAISIONALLY TO GAIN YOUR TRUST, BUT
DON'T BE FOOLED, HE IS A PAINFULL TROLL, WHO HURLS ABUSE AT EVERYONE.

PHIL ALLISON IS A FAKE WHEN HE PRETENDS TO CARE ABOUT HUMAN BEINGS.
A VERY BLATANT ONE.

PHIL KNOWS ALL ABOUT FAIR TRADING...JUST ASK HIM ABOUT QUAD SPEAKERS.

A HINT OF WHAT PHIL IS REALLY LIKE.  HE LIVES FOR ABUSIVE ARGUMENTS.

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

**  The above anonymous, demented usenet menace needs to be dealt with - big
time.

...........   Phil

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

big

Is his name Phil? I had such hope for you too!

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

:
Mr/Ms/Mrs abc could you please not **SHOUT ALL THE TIME**.
It is occasionally needed for emphasis but don't go over the
top.

Regards TT

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

I don't know, Terry. I think Phil's present behaviour probably
justifies shouting.

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

"paul packer"

**  So you wanna buy me a beer do you -  PP  ??

 I'm choosy who I drink with and you are way off the list.

...........     Phil

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

LOL.  Nice one.

Matthew

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

You drink alone...

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:10:00 +1100, "Phil Allison"

In sane circles that's a compliment.

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

TIME**.
the
probably

Was it Mr. Norman Syngent Pole-vaulter from Monty Python
that enjoyed shouting all the time?

TT ;-)

Re: Harvey Norman Cable Scam

Folks, some people need an audience. You are providing them one.
If you're using Outlook Express, just do this if you don't want to hear
someone.

'Message'->'block sender'.

Done.

-Andrew M

Re: PHIL ALLISON LIKES TO POST HELP OCCAISIONALLY TO GAIN YOUR TRUST

TOP POST and SHOUT !!!  (sorry, but I do feel pretty strong about this)

CRAP!!!

Phil does not put up with D/Heads or stupid crap.
and he tells you so...!!!
But at the end of all,  he does know his shit better than a lot of you know
it alls..!!

so don't poke the bear, unless you want a response, that might piss you off.
as he hold no punches....!!

Allan
facial
in
who
the
morning.

Re: PHIL ALLISON LIKES TO POST HELP OCCAISIONALLY TO GAIN YOUR TRUST

Clearly a psychiatric hospital somewhere has just installed Net-ready
computers in all their rooms. Pity.

Site Timeline