Hard Disk dismantling

Possibly OT.

I am trying to dismantle some hard disks. I am encountering some fasteners
that are meant to be tamperproof, one in particular that has a concave
threaded head. Also the usual star point heads (not Phillips). Is there a
source in Aust of hard disk dismantling "screwdrivers"?

Re: Hard Disk dismantling

The star screw heads are AKA torx, although the standard sizes seem to slip
easily on HD screws. Sometimes its possible to grind an old flat blade
screwdriver to catch two of the points, if all else fails bite the top of
the screw with heavy duty diagonal cutters and twist, this usually loosens
the screw enough to spin out with a ground flatblade.

Not sure what you mean by concave threaded head but if you can get hold of
it with the cutters you might have a chance.

Re: Hard Disk dismantling

Thanks Ian. Sounds like you've been there! Have also been considering
drilling out the screws as I do not wish to reassemble and use!

BTW, concave is like looking at the *inside* of the screw head and there
appears to be a sort of thread there. Can't get at it with nippers as it's
inside!

Re: Hard Disk dismantling

Torx is a brand name, the generic would be a spline driver.

Re: Hard Disk dismantling

Since you need clean room conditions and lots of other very expensive gear
to service a HD, I'll hazard a guess that you're after the magnets maybe -
in which case use a small chisel to bang a slot in the screw head.

Re: Hard Disk dismantling

Try these torx bits (I have T-4514 and its managed just about every
"torx" job I have done in the last 10 years, including a hard drive).
You will surely find them useful for other future jobs too

http://dseau.resultspage.com/search.php?sessionid47%1d2bd104e29bba273fc0a87f9c0723&w=torx&site=&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=Go

Re: Hard Disk dismantling

http://dseau.resultspage.com/search.php?sessionid47%1d2bd104e29bba273fc0a87f9c0723&w=torx&site=&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=Go

Or try this from Jaycar, it has all the bits you will probably ever need.
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=TD2038&CATID=&keywords=bit&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID =

It has 100 bits in it. I've got one at home and found it great for taking
just about anything apart including hdds. On the topic of old HDDs just be
careful of the magnets, they can give a nasty bite. I've also found that the
only way to get the magents apart if they attach to each other is to slide
them off.

HTH

Andrew W

Re: Hard Disk dismantling

http://dseau.resultspage.com/search.php?sessionid47%1d2bd104e29bba273fc0a87f9c0723&w=torx&site=&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=Go
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=TD2038&CATID=&keywords=bit&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID =
Thanks all for the reply. I was looking to extract actual components and not
rebuild, so in the end I drilled out the screws OK. You are right about the
magnets. Pretty powerful! Incidentally, what is the material the platters
are made from? Some sortof magnetic glass compound?

Re: Hard Disk dismantling

http://dseau.resultspage.com/search.php?sessionid47%1d2bd104e29bba273fc0a87f9c0723&w=torx&site=&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=Go
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=TD2038&CATID=&keywords=bit&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID =

Both glass & aluminium have been used for platters. AFAIK the magnetic
coating is a ferromagnetic epoxy that is spun on to get a dead even coating
and baked hard.

Re: Hard Disk dismantling

. . .
right about the

Those magnets are powerful enough that you can perform an interesting
experiment. Find a strip of thickish aluminium that will fit through
the gap in the magnet. If you touch the magnet you will confirm that
you can't pick up aluminium with a magnet. Then dangle the strip so
that the lower end hangs in the gap of the magnet and then let it drop
while watching carefully.
Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: Hard Disk dismantling

An even better demonstration of this is to drop a supermagnet down
a length of copper pipe. I have a magnet the size of a marble that
takes ~5 seconds to fall 30 cm, before dropping out the bottom.

Clifford Heath.

Re: Hard Disk dismantling

All the platters I've extracted from 8", 5", 3.5" and 2.5" drives are
aluminium based.

I've seen ones from the old washing machine era that were glass(?).

Re: Hard Disk dismantling

magnets, platters, motors or that flexible conductors that go to the head?

Uusally they are Torx and I think I obtained my set from Jaycar. The
mixed pack in red rubber. Unfortunately, not the super small one I've
encountered recently.

Re: Hard Disk dismantling

You need a Torx tool.  There are about 8 standard sizes in this format.

--

JANA
_____