Grid connect question

** Hi all,

when a householder decides to "go solar" and get PVs plastered all over
their roof  -  an electrician installs a converter box so power can be fed
back into the grid on sunny days.

My question is does the relevant energy supplier have to be informed of this
?

Do they keep a record of all home solar installations ?

If for no other reason, so they will not be alarmed by the sudden drop in
consumption as shown on the customer's meter.

.....  Phil

Re: Grid connect question

Hi Phil

I am in the process of getting a solar installation and had to get
Western Power (I am in WA) approval, but not sure if this is only
because I hope to get paid for what the panels push back into the
grid.

Dave Goldfinch

Re: Grid connect question

** Hi all,

when a householder decides to "go solar" and get PVs plastered all over
their roof  -  an electrician installs a converter box so power can be fed
back into the grid on sunny days.

My question is does the relevant energy supplier have to be informed of this
?
***yes because they have to connect to the grid with a different meter that
reads in and out power

Do they keep a record of all home solar installations ?
*** I guess so as they pay us 50 cents a kwh

If for no other reason, so they will not be alarmed by the sudden drop in
consumption as shown on the customer's meter.

.....  Phil

Re: Grid connect question

'Alarmed'... alarmed they may be ripping them off? Fuck 'em, it's none
of their business whatsoever.

Re: Grid connect question

Doesn't it usually go through another meter, back into the grid, so as
to calculate the energy being provided by the household? Usually the
authority provides these meters.

Re: Grid connect question

"swanny"

** OK   -   that is the crucial bit of info I was missing.

 So the electricity meter reader has to take TWO  readings.

....   Phil

Re: Grid connect question
I am under the impression that one had to have a "smart" meter installed
(at a cost of course) that could be read remotely to compile the rebate
or charges. At least here in West Oz

Cheers ........ Rheilly P

Re: Grid connect question

"Rheilly Phoull"

** ROTFL  !!!

West Oz   =   another country, does  it  ??

Feels to me like WA is as foreign as  NZ  is to Eastern Australia.

Then of course there is Tasmania  ....

And the lawless, speed limitless, hard drinking, boong bashing NT.

While the weightless ACT floats 100 km above the entire nation on hot air.

...  Phil

Re: Grid connect question

State based regulations.

Re: Grid connect question
Suits me Phil,
Wouldn't swap for your lot :-)

Rheilly P

Re: Grid connect question

The ones that I have seen used in QLD have 3 readings, one for power
metering, one for off peak hot water metering, and one for the power
fed back into the grid

They have an LCD display and 2 buttons to cycle through the menu to
read this information as well as the current voltage, frequency, amps
being drawn by the premises etc.

At my place, they have still left the old meter, and it just turns
backwards for excess solar fed into the grid.  They might not install
one, as the electrician said that the meter panel  for the units has
asbestos.

I can put up a pic of the smart meter if anyone is interested. (and
can show me how to host the pic)

Re: Grid connect question
On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 15:42:00 -0700 (PDT), kreed

Same here in NSW. It's called "gross" metering. We are paid 66c for
each kWh generated, irrespective of how much we use.

Ours is electromechanical.

Your location appears to be using "net" metering.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Grid connect question

You only get paid for the unused excess you feed back in, so if you
are using
all the solar power that is being generated, you get zero (and pay
zero)

Re: Grid connect question

"kreed"

** Nope  -  the payment is for any and all power fed back.

    The total amount is deducted from the bill.

** Nearly all do -  and a bunch of grid power on top.

**  Nonsense.

...   Phil

Re: Grid connect question

Thats how it is in SE QLD.   I will tell you for sure when I get the
first bill.

If you in NSW are getting paid 60+c for ALL solar being generated,
regardless of your usage, you must be laughing all the way to the
bank.

Re: Grid connect question

Thats how it is in SE QLD.   I will tell you for sure when I get the
first bill.

If you in NSW are getting paid 60+c for ALL solar being generated,
regardless of your usage, you must be laughing all the way to the
bank.

Not really, the ATO regards it as assessable income.

Chas.

Re: Grid connect question

For all my adult life, I don't think that I have ever earned income
that wasn't assessable, so that aspect wouldnt bother me any more than
it does with any other income from wage, repair work, rental income
etc.

I hope Phil is right about QLD paying the feed in tariff for all the
solar generated, if he is, I will cover the roof with solar panels
ASAP.  That would probably make the solar system a tax deduction
(probably depreciated over 20 years though).

Re: Grid connect question

Then the solar panels become a cost of earning that income and are able
to be written off or depreciated against it?

Re: Grid connect question

Catch 22. if you take the government handouts, then you are not a
business. The high feed in rate is only available to residential
properties. For anything else you have a truck load of paperwork to
plough through and you need to sell your production yourself.

Re: Grid connect question

what does that have to do with depreciating an asset that produces
assessable income ?

Site Timeline