gps modules

Hi all,

I'm looking for around 20 units of a gps module. Has anyone any sources for good suppliers?

I have seen

which fit the ticket but am looking for the most cost effective way of getting 20 units. If there are any cheaper units out there, i'm interested.

Also, the above is still a bit power hungry at 70ma which isn't much of a concern, but is still a factor. Ideas and experiences appreciated.

-Phil

Reply to
Heywood Jablome

A cheap way might be to use the popular consumer GPS-USB/RS-232 modules for PCs. Search for "GPS Mouse" on eBay and you might get them cheap out of the US or China etc. You might even be able to buy a bulk lot.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

I think you'll be lucky to find anything under $100 each landed. I've seen Globalstar and Holux USB GPS mouse units recently for around that price. I bought a Holux GR-213 from a HK ebay seller, and it's a very good unit.

Also, for the original poster - around 70mA isn't all that unusual. Some modules have a kind of sleep mode, though, so depending on exactly what you want to do, you may be able to get the total power consumption over time down that way.

Peter

Reply to
Pete

Check out Trimble's Lassen IQ model. Agent is either Stepgps

at Ringwood in Victoria, or Trimble Navigation in Fortitude Valley Queensland.

Reply to
dmm

I did some research recently and found that for the quantity your looking at maybe the GPS mouse variety with serial interface (TTL vs RS-232).

In OZ landed for about $80.00 (US$35 + AU$30.00 freight per unit). Nice feature is that the ones I got had magnetic base plus inbuilt antenna (one had an active antenna). Negotiate freight as DHL are bloody expensive, better off using post.

I found the chaps overseas very helpful and the products very good in terms of performance and quality.

Idea of prices -

"Gere Tan

" PS-1200 GPS mouse Sample -- USD 42

100 PCS --USD 32 Remarks:

---------------------------------------------------- 1. Term: FOB Taiwan. 2. Payment: T/T in advance. 3. Lead time: 3 ~4 weeks after receive T/T payment

Please don't hesitate to contact me for any further question.

HI-204E was phased out and belows are the rest of items for sample/100 pcs FOB Taiwan prices: HI-204S US$ 34.00/US$ 30.00 HI-204III US$ 37.00/US$ 33.00

JACK LIU/HAICOM

------------------------------------------------- Good luck. H.M.

for

interested.

Reply to
Hugh

"Hugh" wrote in news:43fad91e$0$13496$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au:

I bought a one-off device similar to what you're describing here from a bloke in Hornsby, (Sydney, Australia) a while back. The one I got isn't on his web site now, but that's not to say that you shouldn't call him up and ask him what he has in stock - not everything is on the web site.

Go to and plug 'GPS' in to the search box for three possibilities. (The one I got was a lot like the 'usb' one, but it actually turned out to be serial with a usbserial adaptor in the box) Cheapest on the web site is AUD$125, but in my experience the web price isn't the best price, and I've found him to be very negotiable in person particularly where quantities are concerned.

May not be quite as cheap as importing yourself, but there'll be a lot less pissing about!

Ask for Dan, tell him Geoff sent you.

GB

Reply to
GB

I picked up a GPS module from Rockby Electronics last year for $20. It has TTL Rs232 output and runs on 5V. All you need to do is supply a suitable antenna.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Paull

Is that 70ma with or without antenna ?

You can buy the laipac modules sparkfun sell from

in Victoria. Good fast service when I used them.

All depends what you are after.

GPS for pc's , look at gps mice.

GPS for embedded use or remote mounting - one of the many modules

With the lassen IQ its cheaper to get the modules local and buy pcb's(or carrier boards) from sparkfun.com

Sparkfun may give discounts for quantities , try emailing them.

Are you looking for 5V or 3.3V modules ?

M-Loc , SQ , IQ all are quite low power

A lot of modules seem to hit approx 120mA with embedded antenna but get better results but higher power with miniture or larger antenna

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson