GPS group? or is there one which does this?

G'Day,

I'm hoping to find a GPS unit which has the option of displaying the target
destination, and the current location in an overview screen
"Where you want to be is 3km north of here" with an overhead map.

For emergency response, it's sometimes better to go directly to the scene,
than go to the station, and then go back.

is there a model of GPS unit which offers what I'm hunting for?

is there a group for GPS enthusiasts who'd know the features of the current
offerings?

Thanks,
Des

Re: GPS group? or is there one which does this?

Used to be newsgroup sci.geo-satellite, but the last time I looked, it
was pretty noisy.

There is lots of good info on
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/default.asp

but it takes a bit of digging.  Members are usually good at answering
questions on current commercial products.

In fact many of the current GPS mapping units will allow you to pan
around anywhere you like on the map, to show areas near the target,
rather than just where you are now.  Certainly my Garmin 255 will do that.

Re: GPS group? or is there one which does this?
So do the Tomtom family, and navigators that run derivatives
of iGO software(mio, uniden, cheap chinese units etc).

What is the difference between a duck?

Site Timeline