Goot Soldering Station

I am about to purchase a temperature controlled soldering station.

Seems that the Hakko936 are very well known.

However, I have been unable to find any feedback on Goot stations.

These are sold in Australia by Jaycar.

https://secure2.vivid-design.com.au...x=&SUBCATID62%7

Anybody tried these?

How do they measure up to Hakko's?

TIA,
Neo.

Re: Goot Soldering Station

I bought a GOOT 240V iron and was disappointed.  Temp was very low, when I
opened it up to try and tweak the internal trimpot, I discoverted the guts
were shoved down the handle so that reassembly was difficult.  Thing went
bang and I binned it.  Low voltage types may be good, though

Roger

Re: Goot Soldering Station

<cross post deleted>

As are Weller.

Wonder what they'll be selling next week!

Link doesn't work, but last time I looked they were selling something
called Durateck and Hakko

Most of us wouldn't bother.

Unless their backup is similar they almost certainly won't.

Hakko and Weller both have good backup with good availability of
spares, which you'll need sooner or later no matter what you buy.

Hakko have variable temperature (which isn't necessarily an advantage)
and a light that goes out when it reaches temperature.  Downside is
it's easy to accidentally bump the temperature control, and more
likely to be accidentally left switched on (which you can easily avoid
by having your soldering iron on on the same switch as your work
light).

Weller have a better range of tips, both genuine and aftermarket.
They also have a power on light (which makes it easy to see when it's
switched on), but you've gotta listen for the click (or hold it in
your hand) to know when it reaches temperature.

I've currently got 2 Wellers and a Hakko, with no serious complaints
against either brand, and a very slight preference for Weller (due to
the better range of tips).    It might also be worth comparing the
price and availability of SMD removal tips if you have a need for
them.

Avoid wet sponges like the plague and you'll get a lot better run out
of whatever you decide to buy.

--
John H

Re: Goot Soldering Station

"John_H"
Neo

**    That is certainly true of the Weller WTCPT mechanically switched
rons  -   you will need **lots of spares** and often.

**  Huh ?

 Continuously variable temp with a knob is not an advantage ??

**  What a weird way to explain a LED that cycles with the iron's heater.

**  Huh ??

**   Huh ??????

**   Applies to any iron.

 > Weller have a better range of tips, both genuine and aftermarket.

**  Hakko have a very good range too -    yet another non issue.

**  The mechanical switch in the Weller WTCPT is piece of garbage that
constantly fails -  and so does that fragile heater unit too.

This is very annoying, time wasting PLUS  ***damn***  expensive.

OTOH   -   Hakko irons seem to go on for ever with no repairs.

**  Please explain  ???

...........   Phil

Re: Goot Soldering Station

A dry tip cleaner, such as Hakko 599B, extends tip life enormously.
Nor have I replaced a heating element since I stopped using wet
sponges -- reduced thermal shock maybe.

FWIW I've _never_ had to replace a thermal switch in my own WT's, the
oldest of which I've been using for over twenty years.  I've always
suspected that those who do have problems (and I'm well aware of
plenty that do) destroy the switches by bumping the iron to remove
excess solder.... As used to be common practice in the days before
solder stations.

--
John H

Re: Goot Soldering Station

"John_H"

  **  Why ?   That sounds like pure BS to me.

**  Now,  that IS pure BS.

**  You oughta donate it to the Smithsonian   -  put it alongside that 40
watt  ES bulb that has been in the same outdoor dunny for 60 years   !!!!

**  Drivel.

**  240 volt irons have much finer wire in the heater than 24 or 48 volt
ones.

 The Birkos were long lasters  -  Adcolas were not,  both were way better
than Weller crap.

...........    Phil

Re: Goot Soldering Station

There is nothing funadmentally wrong with the design of the Weller WTCP
series irons.

Most element failures on these irons are due to idiots who seem to think
they have to constantly tap the barrel of the iron to flick excess solder
from the tip, rather than using a dampened sponge to wipe off excess solder
on the tip as recommended by the manufacturer.  It's amazing just how long
tools can last when they are used correctly and in accordance with the
maker's instructions. :)

Admittely having to change tips to change operating temperature is a PITA,
but if you are using the same solder there is no need to.  Even with the
electronic temperature controlled irons you still have to change tips to
suit the job you are doing, so no real advantage here.

I still have an old W-TCP-D (more than 30 y.o.) and it's still going strong
on its original element and switch.  It isn't on 24/7, but in its earlier
life it sure had its fair share of work where it was used every working day
and left on for up to almost 9 hours at a time.  I've also got a later model
Weller (TC-202-D power unit + TCP-1 iron) and likewise have had absolutely
no problem with it either.  Even in a training college environment where we
had hundreds of soldering irons, the Weller TCP series were the least
troublesome of the lot.  Not bad considering trainee techs are usually the
last to RTFM.

I guess some (like Phil) may have had less than an impressive run with the
Weller TCP series, but I can't say I've experienced the same failures.

Cheers,
Alan

Re: Goot Soldering Station

Go for the Hakko. You'll be guaranteed to get spares in the future
along with a whole range of tips and accesories. The Hakkos are very
reliable too, you simply cannot go wrong buying a Hakko.

Anything Jaycar sell will certainly be inferior to the Hakko.

Dave :)

Re: Goot Soldering Station

go for the Hakko 942. The tips are hot-pluggable (pun intentional), and
the iron performs almost as well as my Metcal (but cost 10x less).
Dynamic thermal response is excellent, as the temperature sensor and
heater are right at the probe tip.

Cheers
Terry

Re: Goot Soldering Station

Dunno bout Goot, but if you can find Weller stations in Oz, they won't
disappoint.  Depending on where you buy, Weller stations can cost a bit more
than others, but in my experience they've proven very durable and reliable
over the decades.

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/weller/index.cfm?model_list=1&att_id=WEL003&att1=Soldering%20Stations&att2=Industrial%20Soldering%20Stations

Re: Goot Soldering Station

more
http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/weller/index.cfm?model_list=1&att_id=WEL003&att1=Soldering%20Stations&att2=Industrial%20Soldering%20Stations

Weller has made excellent stuff in the past, though lately their quality has
slipped. I'd second the recommendation for a Hakko, we have a 936 in the lab
at work and it's excellent.

Re: Goot Soldering Station

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/weller/index.cfm?model_list=1&att_id=WEL003&att1=Soldering%20Stations&att2=Industrial%20Soldering%20Stations

Hakko or Xytronic  both very good and can get spares easily.

Have a Xytronic 988D sitting on my desk , has worked flawlessly.

For tip cleaning , the dry type tip cleaners (look like left overs from
turning copper)
work well and avoid needing a wet sponge or replacement sponges.

Alex

Re: Goot Soldering Station

<snip>

Alex, does the solder waste stick to the dry tip cleaners? Is it easy
to clean the solder from the "swarf", ie shaking it?

Re: Goot Soldering Station

Yes. They clean up pretty well.
Depends how much excess solder you use.

Alex