Google fibre method "could save NBN $10 billion"

Google fibre method "could save NBN $10 billion"

By Ry Crozier
Jul 26, 2010 6:56 AM

A fibre-laying technique being used by Google in an experimental US fibre
network project could reduce the cost of the NBN by up
to $10 billion, according to a local company that has licensed the technology.

Broadband Network Communications (BBNC) had tendered to use "micro-trenching" to
roll out fibre in urban areas to be covered by
Australia's national broadband network.
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/220918,google-fibre-method-could-save-nbn-10-billion.aspx

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Google fibre method "could save NBN $10 billion"

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/220918,google-fibre-method-could-save-nbn-10-billion.aspx

This looks even smarter.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/sewer-pipes-may-deliver-broadband-20100703-zusk.html

Re: Google fibre method "could save NBN $10 billion"

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/220918,google-fibre-method-could-save-nbn-10-billion.aspx
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/sewer-pipes-may-deliver-broadband-20100703-zusk.html

You just need a small volunteer as a pull-though. :-)
(I can think of other answers, but censored myself)

see:
http://www.google.com/tisp /
for the correct answer.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Google fibre method "could save NBN $10 billion"

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/220918,google-fibre-method-could-save-nbn-10-billion.aspx

Nope, its a completely stupid way to do fibre in the suburbs.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/sewer-pipes-may-deliver-broadband-20100703-zusk.html

Re: Google fibre method "could save NBN $10 billion"

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/220918,google-fibre-method-could-save-nbn-10-billion.aspx

Certainly for the final fanout that's true. But it could be an extremely
efficient way for running trunk feeds, where distances could be tens of Km
and there are no offtakes on the way.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/sewer-pipes-may-deliver-broadband-20100703-zusk.html

Re: Google fibre method "could save NBN $10 billion"

Only if your main feed is live video of the sewage works.
IME, it is of little practical use as sewer main doesn't run where the
comms cables run or are needed.

Re: Google fibre method "could save NBN $10 billion"

I dunno what your experience is, but Telecom used to run dedicated
cables along side sewer routes for monitoring sewer pumps as a failure
is disastrous.

Re: Google fibre method "could save NBN $10 billion"

For this you need the NBN?
Oh well, Australia can lead the world in "Turd Cam".

Re: Google fibre method "could save NBN $10 billion"

It just points out that, like the sewer, you are full of it, with
your statement that there are no cables near sewers.

Re: Google fibre method "could save NBN $10 billion"

Step away from the mirror. That was not what I said, which was;
Only if your main feed is live video of the sewage works. IME, it is of
little practical use as sewer main doesn't run where the comms cables run
or are needed.

Monitoring of a few sewage pumps is hardly justification, leading to a
major saving in construction, for the NBN. And guess what, sewer pipes
are never "full of it" unless people have been illegally diverting storm
water into them.

Site Timeline