Good for Windscreen wiper intermittent?

Hi group.

My car doesn't have an intermittent wiper setting and I've been trying to
sort something out for a while now. I'm not competent enough to make my own
module with a 555 and perfboard and, unlike back in the 1980s, fit-your-own
aftermarket intermittent wiper modules aren't readily available.

So I'm thinking that this might do the trick;
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-PC-12V-Cycle-Delay-Module-Cycle-Relay-Switch-Relay-Module-Timing-Chip-ControlCycle-Delay-Module/32348079007.html

Am I right? (I'm crap at deciphering Chinglish and going by feedback there
are no instructions with it.) I'm looking to wire this into the first
setting on the wiper switch and have it pulse power say every ten seconds
for two seconds or so then swap the second wiper setting from fast to normal
(I've only used fast once in 10 years so, then only for 30 seconds I won't
miss it.)

This is exactly what I want yeah? <fingers crossed>
--
Shaun.

Re: Good for Windscreen wiper intermittent?

I can't convince that page to load (probably a temporary problem with
their server), however one thing to consider will be the system used
to bring the wiper back to its parked position.

Ideally you would want to use the wiper parking arrangement already
in the wiper motor, described here (though I've seen wiper motors
with fewer pins):
http://www.scary-terry.com/wipmtr/wipmtr2.htm

When the intermittent mode is turned on, you will want the wiper
motor "Low Speed" terminal to be connected to one of the "Parking
Switch" terminals, with the other "Parking Switch" terminal going
to positive. Your timer device should be connected to provide a
short pulse to "Low Speed" (enough to move it so that the
Parking Switch becomes closed again), then wait the desired
period before the next wipe cycle is required (plus the time to
be taken by the wiper in completing the current stroke)  before
pulsing again.

I've got no idea whether the device linked to can do that because
I can't see it.

Of course the problem with getting the device to return the wiper
to the park position by timing the period during which the motor
is powered (and not needing to connect up the Parking Switch) is
that if the wiper is not in the park position when it starts up
(such as when shifting from constant wipe to intermittent
while the wiper is in mid-stroke), it will finish each cycle
with the wiper located on the windscreen wherever it was
when intermittent was enabled, which might be right where
you want to be looking

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Good for Windscreen wiper intermittent?
On Stardate Sun, 18 Sep 2016 04:52:17 +0000 (UTC),
snipped-for-privacy@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev) applied digits to the
keyboard and routed the information from some kind of brain
(presumably), thusly:

i did this a long long time ago with an old car.

as i remember it i needed to use the relay contact to break the
exiting wire and on changeover apply power briefly to the motor.

then quickly release the relay and reclose the original wiring to
allow the homing and stopping circuit to function.

if you just apply power to the original wiper wire it blew a fuse when
the wiper hit home.

Re: Good for Windscreen wiper intermittent?

Hmmm, intersting thanks Reese. Hopefully mine's a bit simpler and I can just
use that module. My car isn't *that* old (a 1985 Honda City), most cars it's
age had intermittent. It's just that it's the 'E' model (for economy) and
they're really no frills - which is part of the reason I like it, it's easy
to maintain.
--
Shaun.

Re: Good for Windscreen wiper intermittent?

Thanks Kev. Hopefully it'll load for you soon and you can see if you think
it'll do the job (I don't mind if I have to do two strokes per intermittent
if I can't set the delay short enough for one).

As it's quite cheap I've ordered it anyway and am hoping ... I was wondering
if anyone could give me an opinion while I wait the weeks to get it
delivered. ;)

(Also I hope that my back's up to the task of fitting it. Last time I needed
to do something under the dash I gave up. However, as usual my mind keeps on
writing cheques that my back can't cash. :-/ )
--
Shaun.

Re: Good for Windscreen wiper intermittent?

It turns out Aliexpress have broken compatibility with the weird
browser I run on the PC I use for posting to Usenet. On another
computer I've now seen the listing.

It should work. Looking closely at one of the pictures, I was
also to figure out that the chip they're using is a 4541B. They
comment that by using this they have far better timing performance
than with a standard 555, but if they're using that 100uF
Electrolytic capacitor for the timing circuit, changes in its
characteristics over time and temperature variations will swamp
any advantage in stability offered by the 4541. Anyway that
doesn't matter for a windscreen wiper application, I'm just
wondering why they didn't use a 7555 as I can't see how they're
using any of the 4541's special features.

I'm surprised how good my Chinglish has become (which is funny
because when I'm in the city, I can't understand a thing they say
in person). When power is applied the relay turns on for a time
set by one of the trimpots, after that it turns off and waits for
a time set by the other trimpot to turn on again and restart. They
don't say which trimpot sets which time delay, or what the
mysterious jumper next to the relay (marked S1) does.

Indeed you might have to put up with two wiper strokes if you can't
get the first time setting close enough to the minimum.

Oh look, I can see you in the transaction history. An A3 member,
I think you're above me! :)

I fear for my own back when doing things under the car dash and
there isn't even anything wrong with it. :)

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Good for Windscreen wiper intermittent?

Thanks for checking that out fo rme Kev. When I fit it I'l leave it so that
it's accessable at least for the first few uses.

Heh! I've been rebuilding a couple power amps so bought some hardware for
that job as well as a couple kits, a breadboard and some packs of resistors,
capacitors, diodes etc. I've decided to try to learn more by 'doing'.

Heh, I remeber that feeling from pre-injury. Everything's built-in and not
meant to be worked on.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

"Chinglish". Was: Good for Windscreen wiper intermittent?
Once upon a time on usenet Computer Nerd Kev wrote:
[snipped]

LOL! Speaking of Chinglish I found this today. It's from a description of an
audio amplifier on AliExpress;

"The 2.1 version of the amplifier design a single power supply, this is the
power of design, the main feature is cheap, practical, elegant design is
taking, light show design line, the machine can not find a jumper, clean
look hot moaning large pond filter NE5532 low frequency handling sealed
potentiometer Kingboard sided FR-4 1.6mm sheet from the perspective of each
element are perfect acoustics and aesthetics to consider whether or not the
intentions of the senior players at a glance!"

I didn't make that up, honestly! A friend wanted a small amp for driving PC
speakers so I was browsing the site;
 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Single-power-computer-super-bass-2-1-power-amplifier-board-3-channel-sound-amplifier-TDA7377/32660782685.htmlThat 's the worst I've seen so far this year.--Shaun."Humans will have advanced a long, long way when religious belief has a cozylittle classification in the DSM*."David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)(*Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders)

Re: "Chinglish". Was: Good for Windscreen wiper intermittent?

I've seen "flequency" on the specification plate of a Japanese
product........................

Re: "Chinglish". Was: Good for Windscreen wiper intermittent?

"It's FRIED RICE you PLICK!"

Re: "Chinglish". Was: Good for Windscreen wiper intermittent?

Fluctuations!
--
Shaun.

Re: "Chinglish". Was: Good for Windscreen wiper intermittent?

Circuit board maker was discussing soldering  and said to the chinese
girl what do you use for flux? she said Plicks you fool.

Re: "Chinglish". Was: Good for Windscreen wiper intermittent?

Someone was nice enough to utube it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT0oMAPL6bE

Re: "Chinglish". Was: Good for Windscreen wiper intermittent?

Wow! My Chinglish certainly hasn't advanced anywhere near the
level required to decode that. I'm not sure if it's safe to
think about a "clean look hot moaning large pond filter". :)

Mind you, if you look up the forign Aliexpress sites I think
the listings are shown in their native language, so perhaps
it's actually an automatic translation by Aliexpress. Then
again they often reply to questions in the sort of tortured
English that I can't even imagine a computer being able to
invent, so I don't know. Maybe the sellers type in their
attempt at English and AliExpress translates that into
the other languages, in which case I can't imagine what
those poor forigners have to put up with.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: "Chinglish". Was: Good for Windscreen wiper intermittent?

Especially when you consider "whether or not the intentions of the senior
players at a glance". ;)

It's getting to the stage where I just look at the pictures on AliExpress
and maybe read reviews - a lot of which are translated from Russian.

(It doesn't help that I needed some large syringes ... I grow dwarf fruit
trees in containers and when it rains, especially when I've recently
re-potted trees, the water that overflows the saucers is full of the
nutrients that I carefully mixed into the media. So I suck it up and store
it in a barrel to be used in drier weather. The only syringes available that
are above 100mls are sold as sex toys and for 'rectal irrigation' so now my
search results and the 'you might also like' lists in confirmation emails
etc. are interspersed with some ... interesting items.)
--
Shaun.

Re: Good for Windscreen wiper intermittent?

They always used to have a curved track and wiper contact that kept the
motor powered anywhere other than the resting position - no matter where it
was when you switched it off, it always found its way home.

Re: Good for Windscreen wiper intermittent?

Yep, however there seems to be a bit of overlap cos if you switch it off
just as it starts its stroke then it often stops a couple inches above the
rest position.
--
Shaun.

Re: Good for Windscreen wiper intermittent?

As noted in the link I posted, the park switch is open circuit
for for about 10% of the cycle. So it will stop close to the
beginning of that park position range, and if you don't apply
power for long enough to get out of it, the park switch won't
provide power for the motor to go around and return to the
start again.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Good for Windscreen wiper intermittent?

Thanks. Yeah I had a quick look at that link then decided it wasn't going to
help me much as I'm hoping to wire the controller into the switch end of the
wires. I'm aware of the parking arrangement as for the last few years I
haven't had intermittent (as well as the years before it became commonplace)
and so have a habit of flicking the switch on, then off again manually as
soon as the wipers have moved through about 15 dgerees of their ~90 degree
travel.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Re: Good for Windscreen wiper intermittent?

Put the switch of this device in parallel with the existing wiper
parking switch. and set the on time long enough to get the wiper going
and the off time to whatever, eg: 15 seconds.

If your wipers don't self-park you'll have to arrange that first.