Gerry Harvey Retreats!

Well, you can knock Gerry Harvey out of the equation:

"Mr Harvey has conceded that the launch of full-page advertisements during the Boxing Day sales period was ''bad timing'' and that the retailers' message had been poorly communicated.

He said the rise of social media such as Twitter and Facebook had increased the ''vicious and hateful'' attacks against him and a fellow retail boss, Solomon Lew."

That's all folks.

Cheers Don...

=============

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

the ''vicious and hateful'' attacks

A Jap would at least have the decency to disembowel itself.

Rod Speed

the ''vicious and hateful'' attacks

ROFL

Rod, I am an hour and a half behind you here, and not even the cane toads are up yet. Can't take too much of that this early. Be gentle on senior citizens like me and Gerry. :-)

Actually I think it really shook Gerry to the core. How out of date was he?

Cheers Don...

=================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Even in conceding defeat, he got it wrong. He is quoted as saying something like "I overestimated the public's interest in the matter". In fact, he underestimated the public's insight, its knowledge of the facts, and its contempt of his offensive assertions.

Reply to
T.T.

Boxing Day sales period was ''bad

''vicious and hateful'' attacks against

And now he's since been on ABC radio denying that story as a complete furphy, and he's still committed as ever.

-- idgat Compuglobalhypermeganet Inc.

Reply to
idgat

Boxing Day sales period was ''bad

the ''vicious and hateful'' attacks against

-- idgat Compuglobalhypermeganet Inc.

Reply to
idgat

When Harvey goes Bust, will anybody care, will government give him a hand out.

He buys crap from china, he just doesn't want you to buy from china.

Reply to
son of a bitch

I'd hate to think of the number of small familty run computer retailers Gerry Harvey knocked out of business when he went to China and filled a ship up with cheap PC's, IT equipment, telephones etc. Then bought them all back here and took over the IT market with the lowest prices.

God forbid that his customers took their cheap PC's home and actually put them to use by buying other goods from overseas. Horror!

Warren Smith snipped-for-privacy@aol.com.au

Reply to
Warren Smith

What cheap prices? Its the family run IT businesses that get my custom, they include knowledge and service thrown it.

Most computer hardware is purchased through Australian wholesalers. (even by the small retailers at fairs) Just that to compare prices shows the mark up and HN are at the top of the list.

Reply to
Rob

]'

Harvey has conceded that the launch of full-page advertisements during the Boxing Day sales period was ''bad timing'' and that the retailers' message had been poorly communicated.

what a load of crap , harvey knew EXACTLY WHAT HE WAS DOING......... POORLY COMMUNICATED . YEAH RIGHT...

mark krawczuk

well, the masses are still very angry:

Cheers Don...

========================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

The problem is that collecting tax cost money and on the amounts mentioned the return could be revenue neutral or even cost more than gained, so the govt would not gain. the only people that think they would gain are people like Harvey (but they probably would not). I suppose public service jobs would inflate but that is not good. I hope the government holds their ground and does not cave in to big business.

Reply to
F Murtz

g the Boxing Day sales period was ''bad

The Man From Havana

ing the Boxing Day sales period was ''bad

LMAO

Reply to
kreed

I don't think 10% tax is the actual issue - online prices would still be way lower than AU retailers even after adding 10% (I've seen 900% markups on some items in Au stores compared to online).

I think what they really want is to impose a GST scheme for online to make collecting your goods such a pain in the ass that it's easier to just use the retailers.

Think about what would happen if customs stopped every item coming into AU in the post to collect the GST.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Cook

Hey Cheryl,

Well, then we have to change the minds of people like Jeff Waters, that EVERY human life is as precious as any other. It's this "laissez faire" attitude, that well its only a handful of deaths, so we shouldnt take action, which undermines human rights defenders everywhere. I hope you send this email to Mr Waters and see what he says.

Yes, we already know about the time restriction of the ICC, which is a farce to protect first world nations. Secondly, even the mass killer Stalin knew that "one death is a tragedy, million deaths is just a statistics".

The ICC prosecutor is the one we target, and of course they wont dare prosecute white genocidal first world nations. They are as toothless as the rest of the clowns at the UN, NEVERTHELESS, we must hold them to their mandate of prosecuting those who commit genocide and crimes against humanity, to the letter of the law of the Rome Statute.

The ICC really has no jurisdiction in Darfur Sudan, Burma or any other places in which they try to meddle. Why? because none of those places have signed agreements with the UN and the ICC, regarding genocide and crimes against humanity; Australia is one of the few "nations" who has.

Should they try to prosecute? Of course, they should. BUT as we can see, those nations just tell the ICC to F' OFF, until they bring their guns, which is unlikely unless there is oil to steal.

Australia is the few of the nations that has defered their criminal code to the ICC, which makes the ICC's job much much easier. One hot- air statement from the ICC is all it takes to have the High Court of Australia on their knees. (Right-wing white nationalists will whine about the constitution, not withstanding)

Here is an inception or the education of the ICC, regarding their own mandate, for christ sakes!! They have been useless in Sudan, Angola, Burma, Palestine etc etc, because of their hypocrisy; make an example of first world nation such as Australia and other nations might listen:

To the brighter side of life, have a wonderful and safe holiday period, and may the New Year bring much more happy tidings.

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 4:41 PM,

Hi to you both,

I forwarded these links around as widely as I could (incl. to Jeff Waters - ABC journo) and thought I'd pass on an extract of the email response he sent me. Of course, with Jeff being a journo, albeit not such a bad one, he's probably looking at the negative side of things but thought I'd send it on all the same.

Hope you and your families all share a peaceful, safe and happy break over what's known as 'the festive season'!

Cheers

Cheryl

'I took a look at this and then went to have a look at the ICC website to try to work out why they might have not answered requests for prosecutions.

Two things, firstly, the court has no jurisdiction for anything which took place before 2002, when it was set up.

Secondly, it says it is only responsible for prosecuting =93the gravest =93 genocide or war crimes. The court has been largely set up to prosecute people for taking part in what could be describes as massacres (as is evidenced by the prosecutions/cases to date) so, as there have been no =93massacres=94 here since 2002, they don=92t seem likel= y to find white Australia=92s track record since that date bad enough to warrant prosecutions. (You know that I work hard myself to try to improve our record!)

Finally, the only bodies which can bring action in this court are member states (Canberra won=92t do it), the UN Security Council (highly unlikely as well) and the court prosecutor.

The prosecutor seems to concentrate on war zones, mass killings and the like.'

Hi everyone,

Passing these 'interesting' links on fyi.

.

Cheers

Cheryl

Reply to
Kangaroo Court Australia

In aus.electronics Bruce Cook wrote: ...

Parcels are randomly stopped & inspected regardless of their value. So GST doesn't impose anything extra AFAIK.

I haven't received any items >100 aud in the past couple of years, but I seem to remember all that happens is the parcel guy demands money at the door or he won't leave it. I think you get a prior notification that you need to pay, so you have the money ready. I think the parcel guy accept credit cards. So no sweat.

--
[Not a farmer:]
[Aussie wheat production is trending higher, but yield is declining]
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
kym

In aus.electronics Bruce Cook w rote: ...

Parcels are randomly stopped & inspected regardless of their value. So GST doesn't impose anything extra AFAIK.

I haven't received any items >1000 aud in the past couple of years, but I seem to remember all that happens is the parcel guy demands money at the door or he won't leave it. I think you get a prior notification that you need to pay, so you have the money ready. I think the parcel guy accept credit cards. So no sweat.

--
[Not a farmer:]
[Aussie wheat production is trending higher, but yield is declining]
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
kym

*************************************

Th reason big retailers backed the GST was because crazy old non-core Johnny assured them the GST would knock-off all the small competition that was creeping up on the big boys. The free ride seems to be over, and now they are screaming and wailing.

*************************************
Reply to
Benway (original non-Zionist)

But only a small subset of the total.

More fool you. There is a hell of a difference between just randomly Xraying a tiny subset of the parcels from particular places etc, and checking the declared value on all of them, let alone charging the GST on all of them.

Nope, you get a card in the post and you go to the post office and pay the amount the card specifys to them before you get the parcel.

Its not collected by the posty.

The post office certainly does.

Pity about the cost of all that when the GST collected is peanuts, stupid.

Reply to
Rod Speed