Generators and switch mode power supplies - Page 3

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

double the rating?

And have a place out side that gets a good breeze flowing away from the
house to run it. The USA provides a continual stream of stories of people
who ran the generator inside and experienced why you do not do this.

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

I attended the funeral of someone who also discovered it the hard way. You'd
think the number of people using a car exhaust to commit suicide might give
some clue though.

MrT.

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

**That's the figure I've been told. However, I suspect it has a lot to do
with the manufacturer. Quality manufactured products probably have short
term overload capacity built in. Those cheap, Chinese generators from
Bunnings probably barely meet their own specs.

**Indeed. It's amazing how stupid some people can be. I'm clearing 30-odd cu
Metres of soil and rock from under my house. I'm doing it by hand, or with
electrically powered tools only. It's bloody hard yakka. A few smartarses
have suggested I should hire a DingoT and get the job done in a few days.
Sheesh! There's no air flow under there and almost no viable method to push
much air through either. I'd be lucky to last 30 mins.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

cu
push

You could use an oxygen tank, or an externally pumped air supply if you
thought it worth it. I'm guessing you don't.

MrT.

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

**You guessed right. Logistics beat me everytime I thought it through.
* I'd need to remove two door frames (not such a huge deal, but
inconvenient). There's around 2cm clearance for a DingoT at present. I'm
told that is sufficient to guarantee damage. Then there's the (lack of)
security thing, whilst the job is progressing.
* I'd need to organise bins to cart away the 50cu Metres (as you probably
know, the stuff 'fluffs' up, when you dig it) of stuff. I can only manage 2
cu Metre bins at any one time.
* Based on the above, I'd need a DingoT for a great deal longer than the
optimum period of 2 days. I'd reckon on at least a month. Too expensive.
* I'm not in a desperate hurry. If I was, I'd pay some guys to do it.

I'll keep doing it by hand. It's good exercise.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

Been there done that when we were younger.
If it requires drainage, make sure that the drainage hose is below the
concrete slab.

You could probably hire a mine ventilator tube as well. The real problem
is when they ggraze the foundations.

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

**Yep. Already done. Badly, but the previous owner did it. I intend
improving significantly.

**I think I'll do it by hand. It's good for the soul and feels great to jump
in the pool after a hard day's digging.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

I once saw an excavator made by Hitachi or someone similar that was made
to drive through a standard 80 cm doorway and was used in Japan mainly
in office blocks where it could ride the elevators. One of those and a
pair of ducted extractor fans would be kind of handy. I've just shifted
30 odd cu M but it was easy sandy stuff outdoors and replaced it with
35 tonnes of cement, and I was glad to hire a guy to excavate for $300.

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

**As an old mate, of Italian descent used to say:

"We came, we saw, we concreted."

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

  There's a big Italian concretor community up this way, that's a very
appropriate saying.

Now all I have to do is get the blockwork up and the three phase
connected.

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies
Good luck getting a good cabler this time of year let alone a sparky who
even bothers to show up

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

Already sorted, and the labour is free too.

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies
who's sister are you doing ?

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

An Italian neighbour ws discussing my pruning of the orange trees and gave
me his advice about what to do to help them recover from the heavy pruning
brought on by rampant bug infestation.

It basically involved heavy fertilising with compost then mulching
all withn a foot around the trunk.

After he left I explained to chief gardener that his advice wasn't that
useful. He did is that way because they all grew their citrus, figs, etc
tree in little holes in the concrete wasteland that is usual in italian
backyards. I was just going to stick to putting the mulch around the
drip line about 4' & 5' out from the trunk as suit3ed our trees.

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

Best fertiliser for citrus is cats.  Dripline is fine.

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

Unfortunately some around here insists they be taken for a humane death.

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

The two aren't mutually exclusive.  Humane death -> burial beneath citrus

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

I think my method of stunning them with the back of the shovel, then the
coup de grace with the block splitter is the problem. Tough little
buggers. You really need a solid rock underneath as bricks inevitably
split.

Naah, the local council will take them for free and if wild moggy turns
out to be someones cut puddy that just escaped that night, then there is
no evidence.

Unfortunaely, our local council takes a dim view of recycling anything
organic and has actually passed a law requring all captured cats to be
surrendered. Also gives me the opportunity of retail therapy to get over
the <sob> of sending puddies to the death<sob>. As we leave the
pound "while we are over this way...." can be used -).

I just wish she would not pass around the pictures of me of my playing
with feral kittens to make them cute and cuddly to maximise their adoption
chances at the pound. I guess that is another fringe benefit.

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

Regarding "inverter" generators:

Honda (and possibly others) now offer generators with an inbuilt
sinewave "inverter" in
order to provide high quality power (presumably crystal locked to
50hz) for sensitive
equipment regardless of generator motor speed fluctuations  etc.
This would also allow lower engine speeds at low load to save fuel,
without affecting the output frequency

http://mayberrys.com/honda/generator/html/invertgenerator.htm

Another advertised advantage of this system is the ability to link 2
of these
units together in parallel via a special cable (available from Honda)
in order to increase the total output capacity.
This would probably have extra wire(s) to ensure the inverters outputs
are synchronised, their output voltages as close as possible to each
other to keep the load balanced between the 2 inverters/generators ?

http://mayberrys.com/parallel/parallel.htm

this provides  30a @ 120v (equivalent to a 15A 240v socket.)  (note -
this is for US use only, there would be an Australian version.)

 The other advantage that this dual system MIGHT have is the ability
to keep critical equipment in the home (such as life support) running
in the home if one of the two generators fails, as long as the total
load is sufficient for one unit.
(NOTE: I don't want to go round giving advice on this, or saying its
100% foolproof, or legal, or safe  in case Im wrong and someone is
hurt or dies, please seek expert advice from the supplier or
manufacturer or other expert before using or relying on this or any
other method of powering life support)

For most people, I think this sort of unit would be an good choice for
occasional temporary emergency home use of lighting, computers, phone
charges etc etc  and you can be sure it will run ANY sensitive
equipment just as well as off the mains.  Gas rings would be more
efficient for cooking, boiling water etc.

Trevor's comments on selecting a generator should be noted also.
regarding large loads, fridges air cons etc,

2 problems I can recall with use of non-mains power are :

Note there was a letter from a reader in silicon chip recently
regarding use of a generator powering a battery charger on a boat, the
battery charger wouldn't start at all with one particular generator
(probably because of low quality or noisy power) and worked perfectly
with another.

Another problem I have had personally is with my Dewalt cordless drill
I bought in the 1990s when they first came out.
It charged perfectly on the mains, but wouldnt charge on a modified
square wave inverter (note: true sine wave inverters/generators
wouldn't give this problem) we used in the work van.  IT turned out to
be a "series capacitor" type power supply (transformerless).
Fortunately it charged pretty fast compared to the older cordless
drills, and armed with a spare battery we just charged it off the
mains at places where we were doing jobs.

These are examples of where a TRUE SINEWAVE inverter generator would
be of benefit.

I dont think a PC would need this and would work happily off a square
wave or modified square wave inverter (this is what most UPS provide.

Site Timeline