Generators and switch mode power supplies

Given the parlous state of Australia's power systems, I've been
considering buying a standby generator. One marketing point of some of
the inverter bases models is their suitability for 'sensitive
electronics' with computers given as an example. This appears to be
based on the fact that they'll provide a consistent sinewave output.

But given that computers invariably use switch-mode power supplies, are
they actually going to care what waveform they see - from square wave
thru 'modified sinewave' thru pure sinewave?

Sylvia.

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

     I haven't experienced any power interruptions here in Sydney for
many months so the supply's not exactly parlous where I am.
     My cheap UPS doesn't output a clean sine wave but the PC and
monitor (switching supplies), answering machine and modem power supplies
(50Hz transformer plugpacks) all work quite happily from it when it
kicks in.
     I doubt that exact waveform makes much difference to most power
supplies, especially switching supplies. Just my 2c worth...

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies
troll.... asyou will find out .

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

    Huh? I'm not a troll. At least I don't think I am...

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies
saliva is though

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

plonk

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies
weakling

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

    De-plonk.... it took a while to work out what your comment meant and
I suspect you might be correct. :-)

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies
She has that effect.
  all of us get accused at some stage but saliva is a certainty as you
will see.

  What was the question again :)

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

NSW is in a better condition. The other states show predicted reserve
shortfalls in the coming months.

http://www.nemmco.com.au/data/MToutlook.htm

In some ways, though, reserve shortfalls are not such a huge concern,
because the resulting blackouts get shared around, with no individual
group of cumstomers subject to extened periods without power.

Of greater concern are overloaded transformers. If they fail it can take
quite a long time for supplies to be restored. In periods of hot weather
such events have been known.

Sylvia.

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

So what's the big deal if it *does* happen?
Not the end of the world.
Go for a walk, go shopping, go visit a friend, read a book by torch or
candle light, and countless other things you can do without mains
power.

The other week I was stuck in a lift (in Frenchs Forest of all places)
for more than an hour during a blackout, it was actually quite fun.

You'll survive, really, no need for a generator when you live in
Frenchs Forest.

Dave.

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

It was pretty close for some people in South Australia. Their burnt out
homes and factories anyway!

MrT.

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

It's not for you to tell me how I should seek to apply such resouces as
I have to avoid the consequences of power cuts. You may not find them
annoying.

I do.

Sylvia.

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

Fair enough.
It might help then if you tell us what things you might need to keep
powered during a black-out.
You've already mentioned the computer as an example, what else?
How long and frequent are your typical power-outs?
How long do you want a generator to last?
Maybe a UPS solution is better suited to your needs?

Always more than one way to skin a cat. Take your computer for
example, laptops draw much less power than desktops, and can handle
black-outs of several hours no problems. Add a small UPS to keep a
modem and some other stuff going and you are still in business. I was
happily surfing the web and doing work on my phone while I was stuck
in the lift the other week for example.

Dave.

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

I asked a very specific question in relation to the tolerance of split
mode power supplies to variations in input waveform. That's all I asked.

Sylvia.

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

    I'm really thick and also my troll filters have blocked out a lot of
recent discussions.

    Can someone please tell me what a 'split mode' power supply is? I'd
never heard the term before, and a Google search mainly brings up the
newsgroup threads where they keep getting talked about.

    Thanks.

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

I believe it's a typo, she said "switch mode" in her first post.

Dave.

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

Though I did use the expression "split mode" in the subject of another
thread. No one commented then, but its's true that it doesn't seem to be
a recognised alternative wording. Put it down to my aging brain cells.

Sylvia.

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

Great consolation for those tens of thousands without power for their
fridges and freezers during the recent heatwave down south.

Sure have, and the resulting fires in some cases burnt homes or factories to
the ground!

Still profit is more important than minor supply and maintenance issues.

MrT.

Re: Generators and switch mode power supplies

Who is your supplier?
I'm on Integral and you expect a few hours once a month. I suspect
they are butchering the wrong trees.

Site Timeline