Generating 9V @ 10mA - isolated from supply battery

I have a need to generate 9V at 10mA that is totally isolated from a 12V car
battery. That is no common negative  connection between the car battery and
the negative of the 9V supply. Any pointers on how I can do this would be
appreciated!

JERD

Re: Generating 9V @ 10mA - isolated from supply battery

Buy a 9 volt battery?

Dorfus Dippintush

Re: Generating 9V @ 10mA - isolated from supply battery

Depending on how much you want to spend (low power will be cheaper), you
could use an isolated DC-DC converter eg Farnell sells a Traco TEL
2-1212 9-18V in 12V out 2Watt for about $35.

A linear reg on the output can get you to the 9V since a ready-made 9V
output is less common.

HTH
Chris.

Re: Generating 9V @ 10mA - isolated from supply battery

put finger to keyboard and composed:

Scrounge a 5V-9V DC-DC converter module from an old 10base2 NIC and
step down the input using an LM7805.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Generating 9V @ 10mA - isolated from supply battery

How about using the SRS-1209 listed on this page:

http://www.computronics.com.au/meanwell/srs /

Problem solved for under 8 bucks...........

Andy

Re: Generating 9V @ 10mA - isolated from supply battery

Farnell have a whole range of isolated DC-DC converters.
102-1604 for example is a 12V to 9V isolated converter @ 111mA.
Bit pricey though.
You could use a cheaper 12V-12V one and use a 9V regulator on the
output.

Alternatively, use a battery.
A D cell battery pack would last several months at 10mA continuous.

Dave.

Re: Generating 9V @ 10mA - isolated from supply battery

The links below shows something close, 9v @2ma,  maybe you can beef it up a bit
to get 10ma.
http://www.techlib.com/electronics/regulators.html

http://www.techlib.com/craig/craigs_isolated_9_volt_supply.htm

Here's something from National.
http://www.national.com/appinfo/power/files/f17.pdf

Or from Linear Tech
http://www.linear.com/pc/downloadDocument.do?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1042,C1113,P1549,D2388

If all else fails try googling "isolated flyback".

Mike

"I think, therefore GOD is."
J.P. Moreland

Re: Generating 9V @ 10mA - isolated from supply battery

http://www.linear.com/pc/downloadDocument.do?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1042,C1113,P1549,D2388

Thanks for feedback guys. Most helpful and I now have some options!

JERD

Site Timeline