Friggin' Jaycar ....

<bitch alert>
Needed a replacement low-ESR cap for a repair job.  Nearest outlet is a Jaycar,
and I had the driver going past.  Checked their web page for the part dimensions
and all was tickety-poo, matching the dud.  Driver returns with the supplied
part.  Instead of 10*16 with 5mm lead pitch, it is 8*21 with ~3.6mm pitch.
Completely unsuitable.

Next time I'll order from WES or another of my more usual suspects\\\uppliers
and wait for delivery.  This way I've wasted more time anyway.
</bitch alert>

Re: Friggin' Jaycar ....
dimensions

Have you pointed out their error to them?

Sylvia.

Re: Friggin' Jaycar ....

Jaycar,
dimensions
suspects\\\uppliers

By email to techstore (yawn!).  By the time the driver returned to base and I
contemplated the square peg and round hole, the outlet had closed for the day.

Re: Friggin' Jaycar ....

  Last time I ordered from WES (admittedly a couple of years ago) I learned of
their parts supply policy.

  If you order a resistor or capacitor value that is either out of stock, or
not in stock to start with, they will automatically supply the next closest
value.
  Actually spoke to a WES plob and verified this was their policy.

  Because everyone knows, if you're building a voltage divider, or filter, the
next closest value from what you calculate will do just fine anyway.

  Unlike every other incompetent supplier on the face of the planet who gives
you want you bloody well ask for (the bastards), and if they don't, they take
back incorrect values and backorder the ones you asked for (the bigger
bastards) the result is the vast majority of stuff that gets built actually
works.  Shock, horror.

  I dream of the day that everyone reaches the zenith of customer service like
what WES supplies with apparent ease, and society reaches the stage where you
come home, turn on the light switch, and nothing happens.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Friggin' Jaycar ....

snip>

A word of praise for Jaycar.
All my mail-order dealings with them have been exemplary.
A dud card-reader was replaced immediately and my postage credited to my
next order.
Someone noticed that I had ordered twice in one day and made the two orders
into one and credidted me with the saved postage in my next order.
On the phone they are helpful and are not afraid to say "I don't know, I'll
find out".
They still have a printed catalogue.
Onya Jaycar. I forgive you the pink toolsets and the farting machines.

Re: Friggin' Jaycar ....

A service shop dealing with Jaycar and paying courier fees? Whats wrong with
Electus and saving a few cents to put towards fridays beers.

Re: Friggin' Jaycar ....

  Minimum order requirement, cheaper than RS, Farnell etc.

  Don't get me wrong, RS and Farnell are great, they might not know all their
stuff, but can quickly find out.  Deliveries are so quick you'll miss them if
you blink. Even back-ordered stock is quick to come in. Errors are seldom, and
are usually attributed to the odd human error (it happens, we're human). Have
no minimum order quantity- you can order a single kleenex and it would arrive
in an antistatic bag that morning if you order early enough.  If you call and
ask a question they can't immediately answer, they actually *DO* call you back
- and in a reasonable time too.
  And you pay for this service.  Dearly.

  Electus have a MOQ, but it's reasonably easy to meet even on smallish
orders, and still lots cheaper than shop-front rates.  If a shopfront is on
the way to work, we pop in and pick up the bits ourselves.  (pay more but get
quickly- advantage of chain stores)

  Jaycar downside is their static control is a joke.
  Their shopfront staff are usually intelligent chimps.
  Yes, I understand they sell farting pencil holders and choking chickens to
maintain their bottom line (excuse the pun), but it chokes (again excuse the
pun) what little professionalism they would hope to otherwise have.

  All of that said, WES is worse.  I can't beat on them too badly though, they
do heavily hire disabled staff after all.  Retarded chimps are disabled staff
aren't they?
  No, but seriously, some of their staff are highly experienced.  They might
know everything there is to know about clay pottery, but fuck-all about
electronics.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Friggin' Jaycar ....

snip

Jaycar's online search engine is appalling... really attrocious.

Re: Friggin' Jaycar ....

  Actually, once you work out how it does things, you STILL can't make any
sense of it.

  I keep stabbing at keys till I fluke a good keyword that gives me what I
want.  Sadly, I have reasonably good success with that method.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Friggin' Jaycar ....

If you think JayCar's is bad, try the RTA's.

Sylvia.

Re: Friggin' Jaycar ....

  I love the RTA.  I have by far better success at finding things via google
than within their own realm.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Friggin' Jaycar ....

Yes, I recently discovered that approach, too.

Sylvia.

Re: Friggin' Jaycar ....

Heh!  I just cancelled my Electus account in that shitty email I sent them.  It
wasn't worth the hassle - by the time I add GST and shipping onto the Electus
prices, I'm better off buying the same line somewhere else.  Also most of my
stuff is either cheaper or better quality (or both) from Worldwide, and when it
comes to volume X-On are cheaper by far.

Re: Friggin' Jaycar ....

 >  Their shopfront staff are usually intelligent chimps.

"intelligent"? If only!
(Usually better than DSE though.)

I love the fact Jaycar have been advertising for staff for years in SC. They
just can't seem to get knowledgeable people for the price they are prepared
to pay.

MrT.

Site Timeline