Friggin' Jaycar ....

Needed a replacement low-ESR cap for a repair job. Nearest outlet is a Jaycar, and I had the driver going past. Checked their web page for the part dimensions and all was tickety-poo, matching the dud. Driver returns with the supplied part. Instead of 10*16 with 5mm lead pitch, it is 8*21 with ~3.6mm pitch. Completely unsuitable.

Next time I'll order from WES or another of my more usual suspects\\\\\\\\\\uppliers and wait for delivery. This way I've wasted more time anyway.

Reply to
rebel

dimensions

Have you pointed out their error to them?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Last time I ordered from WES (admittedly a couple of years ago) I learned of their parts supply policy.

If you order a resistor or capacitor value that is either out of stock, or not in stock to start with, they will automatically supply the next closest value. Actually spoke to a WES plob and verified this was their policy.

Because everyone knows, if you're building a voltage divider, or filter, the next closest value from what you calculate will do just fine anyway.

Unlike every other incompetent supplier on the face of the planet who gives you want you bloody well ask for (the bastards), and if they don't, they take back incorrect values and backorder the ones you asked for (the bigger bastards) the result is the vast majority of stuff that gets built actually works. Shock, horror.

I dream of the day that everyone reaches the zenith of customer service like what WES supplies with apparent ease, and society reaches the stage where you come home, turn on the light switch, and nothing happens.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to

Jaycar,

dimensions

suspects\\\\\\\\\\uppliers

By email to techstore (yawn!). By the time the driver returned to base and I contemplated the square peg and round hole, the outlet had closed for the day.

Reply to
rebel

snip>

A word of praise for Jaycar. All my mail-order dealings with them have been exemplary. A dud card-reader was replaced immediately and my postage credited to my next order. Someone noticed that I had ordered twice in one day and made the two orders into one and credidted me with the saved postage in my next order. On the phone they are helpful and are not afraid to say "I don't know, I'll find out". They still have a printed catalogue. Onya Jaycar. I forgive you the pink toolsets and the farting machines.

Reply to
L.A.T.

A service shop dealing with Jaycar and paying courier fees? Whats wrong with Electus and saving a few cents to put towards fridays beers.

Reply to
Grid Leak

Minimum order requirement, cheaper than RS, Farnell etc.

Don't get me wrong, RS and Farnell are great, they might not know all their stuff, but can quickly find out. Deliveries are so quick you'll miss them if you blink. Even back-ordered stock is quick to come in. Errors are seldom, and are usually attributed to the odd human error (it happens, we're human). Have no minimum order quantity- you can order a single kleenex and it would arrive in an antistatic bag that morning if you order early enough. If you call and ask a question they can't immediately answer, they actually *DO* call you back

- and in a reasonable time too. And you pay for this service. Dearly.

Electus have a MOQ, but it's reasonably easy to meet even on smallish orders, and still lots cheaper than shop-front rates. If a shopfront is on the way to work, we pop in and pick up the bits ourselves. (pay more but get quickly- advantage of chain stores)

Jaycar downside is their static control is a joke. Their shopfront staff are usually intelligent chimps. Yes, I understand they sell farting pencil holders and choking chickens to maintain their bottom line (excuse the pun), but it chokes (again excuse the pun) what little professionalism they would hope to otherwise have.

All of that said, WES is worse. I can't beat on them too badly though, they do heavily hire disabled staff after all. Retarded chimps are disabled staff aren't they? No, but seriously, some of their staff are highly experienced. They might know everything there is to know about clay pottery, but f*ck-all about electronics.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to
John Tserkezis

Heh! I just cancelled my Electus account in that shitty email I sent them. It wasn't worth the hassle - by the time I add GST and shipping onto the Electus prices, I'm better off buying the same line somewhere else. Also most of my stuff is either cheaper or better quality (or both) from Worldwide, and when it comes to volume X-On are cheaper by far.

Reply to
rebel

snip

Jaycar's online search engine is appalling... really attrocious.

Reply to
John

"intelligent"? If only! (Usually better than DSE though.)

I love the fact Jaycar have been advertising for staff for years in SC. They just can't seem to get knowledgeable people for the price they are prepared to pay.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Actually, once you work out how it does things, you STILL can't make any sense of it.

I keep stabbing at keys till I fluke a good keyword that gives me what I want. Sadly, I have reasonably good success with that method.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to
John Tserkezis

If you think JayCar's is bad, try the RTA's.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I love the RTA. I have by far better success at finding things via google than within their own realm.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to
John Tserkezis

Yes, I recently discovered that approach, too.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else