Fraudulent AV cable on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item18%0299691454

Ebay Item Number:  180299691454

Had one of these brought to me by a friend, had bought it on Ebay in
order to run an AV television from a PC.
at $10 + postage, it looked a bit too good to be true as typcial USB
to video devices are about $70 or so
When plugged into a PC the PC didn't detect anything, or give the
usual sound when you connect a USB device.

Measuring it, it appears that the USB  Data + / - and +5v leads are
brought straight out to RCA plugs !
(5v was measured from the tip of the video plug to shield)

The seller, when contacted, claimed "it is only suitable as an AV lead
for some TV set top boxes".

As far as I knew, USB devices had to conform to USB standards and be
registered, and the system couldn't be used for "just anything" like
this.

Re: Fraudulent AV cable on Ebay

It doesn't say it's a cable for connecting a USB output to AV. It says
it's a connection from a USB style plug to 3 RCA.

It wouldn't surprise me if some equipment is using USB sockets in this
way. They wouldn't be USB devices.

Whether there was an intention to mislead - well, that's a tough call.

Sylvia.

Re: Fraudulent AV cable on Ebay

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 18:23:32 +1100, Sylvia Else

There is a tremendous range in cable prices, although I don't know how
good they are.  I've only bought one cat-6 cable from the second
cheapest web business (not ebay, but only because i didn't think of
it) and it seems to work fine.  The cheapest web store came
recommended by someone on a newsgroup, maybe this one.

But are USB cables more complicated than most others?

Did you have the other end plugged into the intended device?  If the
other end isn't plugged into anything, nothing happens when you plug
in a USB plug, right?  more below.

Further down it says "USB Male A to 3 x RCA (Video/Audio) Cable"

And the heading says "USB Type Male A to 3x RCA AV A/V TV adapter Lead
Cable"

Re: Fraudulent AV cable on Ebay

This is not in Australia, but the seller has a 99.6% positive rating
and he's charging 32 US dollars including free local shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item19%0329920612

Your seller has 99.2% positive**.  Is he really selling junk?

As to the relevance of his answer, maybe that answer he gave you was
jjust the first thing he thought of to get rid of you.

**Although the rating system is seriously damaged now that vendors
don't rate when the money is promptly received.  Instead,
some/many/how many? rate a buyer positive only after the buyer has
rated the seller positive, and same for negative.

Re: Fraudulent AV cable on Ebay

As a seller the ONLY option you have is to leave positive feedback!
The crippled rating system is one of but many things turning ebay into a
joke.

Dave.

Re: Fraudulent AV cable on Ebay

Agree, I gave up totally on selling on Ebay, after getting a 50% non
paying bidder rate (and ebay does nothing
about this, and keeps your listing fee) and then this ridiculous
paypal 30% 3 month reserve holding rule, for the average person its
just a waste of time to sell on Ebay except for items that:

1>Have significant value to ebay buyers,
2>That you don't at all want to keep and cant get rid of any other
way
3> you are willing to take a significant risk on not being paid,
     copping a fraudulent paypal claim, losing the item AND the
money.

I don't complain too much about myself though, I had a really good run
on there while Ebay was good, got rid of 90% of the crap I wanted to
made a tidy profit out of it,

the people I really feel for are those who went to a lot of time and
effort to establish an Ebay business, maybe even left their job,
invested substantially in stock, leased premises etc, to find
themselves totally screwed over by Ebay over the last couple of years,
making their effort unviable, and to add insult to injury: due to the
economic climate, they might not easily be able to get back into their
old profession again.

I do still occasionally buy stuff on Ebay though, but nowhere near as
much as before.

Re: Fraudulent AV cable on Ebay

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 21:07:09 +1100, "David L. Jones"

I read this a couple days ago, but somehow it didnt' sink in until you
rephrased it in your second post a few posts down.  Thanks.

Re: Fraudulent AV cable on Ebay

No - they are just a 4 way shielded cable, though the data leads are
likely twisted together
in a certain way (like Cat 5 leads) in order to attain the high data
rate.

that is the opposite, that acts as an AV input for recording AV
signals to a PC,
not outputting AV to a TV set.

It wasnt me, it was a non-technical friend who wanted me to test it as
it "wouldnt work" when
he received it, he just repeated to me what the seller sent to him
when he emailed for support for it.

because the thing "looked too good to be true" and as David mentions -
there wasnt enough room
anywhere in it to put any significant electronics, I didnt want to
risk it.

Measuring it showed it to be just straight through cable with a few
ohms resistance (obviously the resistance of the cable itself).

Based on this, there was no point in connecting it to a TV or stereo.

Its a piece of junk, I told him to return it to the seller for a
refund - if its even worth the effort and postage expense to possibly
get  what's left of his $9.95 after paying return post.  Bin job.

Re: Fraudulent AV cable on Ebay

.

I never leave feedback for sellers that play that game - good or bad -
they just want to be able to leave bad feedback about you if you complain

David

Re: Fraudulent AV cable on Ebay

Sellers *cannot* leave negative feedback any more. The only option is
positive feedback or nothing.

Dave.

Re: Fraudulent AV cable on Ebay

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 11:18:55 +1100, "David L. Jones"

That's very good to know.   Thanks.

Re: Fraudulent AV cable on Ebay

What did you expect?
The standard tiny moulded USB hood could not be expected to contain any
significant electronics, but I guess you have to have some electronics
knowledge to know that.
But the ad clearly says it's an "adapter lead" or "adapter cable" and no
mention is made of it being a "converter" or having any other functionality,
but the "Video/Audio" thing is a bit confusing, that should be clarified as
it clearly cannot be used for video or audio purposes.

Fraudulent? Probably not deliberate, just the usual Chinglish mash-up I
guess.

Only if it uses the "USB certified" logo. I think anything else is fair
game.

Dave.

Re: Fraudulent AV cable on Ebay

Which average consumers don't have.
The person who bought the thing doesn't have sufficient technical
knowledge to work that out, simply wanted to run a AV television set
from his laptop computer (which doesn't have TV outputs, just DVI and
VGA.).

To the average consumer, if you asked/showed them this cable, I'm
certain that a majority of them would think that it's function in life
was to convert  USB  to AV from a standard PC.  They dont know the
difference between an "adapter" and a "converter".

No Logo on the plug.

Re: Fraudulent AV cable on Ebay

This can sometimes be a trap
Have a look at:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/ftdi-usb-to-serial-ttl-level-5v-converter-cable.html

In the moulded hood, which looks a similar size, they fit a USB to TTL
interface.

However, I wouldn't be selling this item without pointing out that it
was just a cable adapter, and ***NOT*** an A/V interface.

My conclusion, he doesn't care about the customer, just his pocket.
He doesn't understand that a happy customer, may be a returning customer.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Fraudulent AV cable on Ebay

A nice  push for your business but  he does have the cables listed
properly.    If a person buys then without reading    and
Understanding the listing they should  NOT be purchasing a cable.

Re: Fraudulent AV cable on Ebay

This is a classic case of  somebody buying an item and not knowing enough
about it to make an informed decision.

Chalk it up to either "buyer beware" or "look before you leap".

There is a common sense rule that says if you don't know what you are doing,
don't do it.

Charlie

Re: Fraudulent AV cable on Ebay

doing,

Which only applies to those with "common sense", an oxymoron at best.

MrT.

Re: Fraudulent AV cable on Ebay

It seems to be an accessory for the PSP, see Ebay #190290595607
JC

Re: Fraudulent AV cable on Ebay

USB can be used for many things, not just the common ones.
Cables for charging cell phones from the USB port do not follow any
standard other than power and ground.

This cable is for a specific purpose and will not work elsewhere.

Re: Fraudulent AV cable on Ebay

 Its a piece of junk, I told him to return it to the seller for a
refund - if its even worth the effort and postage expense to possibly
get  what's left of his $9.95 after paying return post.  Bin job.

+++++

Just because you do not know how to use it does not make it a piece of
junk.

Site Timeline