Fortron "continuous power filter" are what?

I inherited a bunch of these things. They seem rather old,
I could not find any specs for the model number. I am
curious: are they just a spike limiter, or is there really
some "filter"? One job I had, there were real power filters
but they were the size of a wine cask and had capacitors
the size of beer cans in them.

Re: Fortron "continuous power filter" are what?

Pity you didnt bother to include the model number.

Thats what a spike limiter is.

There are lots of different ways to do a power filter.

Re: Fortron "continuous power filter" are what?
Most of the older CPF's were a surge protector with a
moderate absorption capability before they self-sacrificed,
and also had a 50Hz low pass filter to reduce high frequency
noise on the line. Early units (tan colour, approx 2" wide
and deep by about 4" high, very rectangular) were made in
Australia. Later models were wider with a more rounded
appearance and made in China.

Some models also had high/low voltage shut-off. As such they
weren't real good for computers, even though that's how they
were marketed, but they made great brown-out protectors for
anything with electric motors.

--
What is the difference between a duck?

Site Timeline