Forget Wi-Fi, boffins get 150Mbps Li-Fi connection from a lightbulb

Forget Wi-Fi, boffins get 150Mbps Li-Fi connection from a lightbulb

Scientists in China are reporting great success in replacing traditional Wi-Fi radio traffic with Li-Fi, a system that uses the light signals from an LED lightbulb to provide a line-of-sight data stream.

Li-Fi, or light fidelity, was developed by Professor Harald Haas at the University of Edinburgh, who was disenchanted with radio as a data transmission tool. Using light instead of radio opens up 10,000 times more available spectrum than radio ? and it's highly energy efficient compared to radio towers that use most of their power for cooling and only five per cent for data transmission.

Read the full story at:

also:

Don McKenzie

All Olimex products now 30% off normal Olimex Prices.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Must be the wireless world's equivalent of the fibre optics.

Reply to
Damian

Needs line of sight.

Reply to
SolomonW

Yeah tou have to look at the laser

--
Petzl
I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left

yeah, with your remaining good eye.

Reply to
Glenn B

Well.....that's pretty good information. ;-)

Reply to
Damian

SolomonW wrote

Not if you use a mirror.

Reply to
Rod Speed

If LiFi is only replacing the last link to the PC etc. I can't see any real advantage over WiFi. Still need cable/fibre etc. or maybe you could use WiFi to talk to the LED ;)

Reply to
yaputya

Hmmmm.

Having posted this news myself after thinking, "what a nifty new idea". With a few years of development and testing, it could a very viable means of communication.

But then two questions arouse. How do you do two way comms with a LED? How do you connect the Internet to the micro in the LED lamp?

I couldn't see anything in the stories I read.

Perhaps all the magic is done with Wi-Fi, and this Li-Fi only replaces the last transmission link (OK secured) as yaputya.rightlegout suggests. :-)

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

All Olimex products now 30% off normal Olimex Prices.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

No RF, for one thing.

Reply to
Jeßus

yaputya wrote

The most obvious one is the speed and the fact that there would be no interference with the LiFi in adjacent houses etc. With a massive downside that you couldn?t have a single router with most houses.

You'd need to to cover the whole house.

Reply to
Rod Speed

EVERY home and business was about to or is to get optic network so not really much point? Just get two or more outlets my office had around twenty in various rooms

--
Petzl
Q: What has Tony Abbott promised Murdoch?
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Petzl

Petzl wrote

No, nothing like that. Even the NBN was only ever sposed to get to be 93% of those with FTTP.

But few would be that silly in the home.

Reply to
Rod Speed

7% missing out big deal

You don't know! In the 50's our house had 1 power point in living Room Kitchen had a stove power point for fridge one for kettle Each room had a light bulb Now heaps of power points every where even in roof space and outside

I have a WD media "gazo"

Internet connectivity is pointless with copper wire I use a 1TB drive USB 3 play to my video collection from
Trouble is the media is only USB 2 and speed is the thing

--
Petzl
Q: What has Tony Abbott promised Murdoch?
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Petzl

Petzl wrote

Its very far from clear that it would have ever got to 93%

I do know that most don't even bother with Cat5 or Cat6 in most rooms, most only use wifi around the house.

We had a lot better than that in the 50s.

I had that in the 60s.

Bullshit. Works fine for me.

I play recorded TV on my laptop from the PVR over wifi when bottling the beer etc and it works fine.

Reply to
Rod Speed

That's an advantage for security, but you'd have to keep the blinds closed!

Reply to
yaputya

NASA gets 622 megabits per second with Lasers.

NASA Is Now Communicating With Spacecraft Via Laser Over the weekend, NASA and MIT made spaceflight history when their Lunar Laser Communications Demonstrator (LLCD) beamed data at 622 megabits per second?5 times the current rate?back from a spacecraft in lunar orbit.

Vote 99% Greens

That Popular Mechanics item reminded me of an archive site that is worth a visit:

yaputya