Five Things You Need to Know About LTE

  1. It really is fast. TeliaSonera, the Swedish carrier that in 2009 launched the first major commercial long-term evolution (LTE) service, delivered an average downstream speed of 33.4Mbps in informal tests last year. Verizon Wireless, which is using narrower spectrum bands, estimates that even on a fully loaded network, individual subscribers will get between 5Mbps and 12Mbps downstream and about 2Mbps to 5Mbps upstream.

  1. It has less delay. LTE networks have lower latency than earlier cellular systems, so packets are less delayed. This makes a difference when timing is important, such as when using voice over IP, streaming video or working on a virtual desktop. Verizon claims LTE cuts latency in half compared with its 3G network, and says LTE subscribers are seeing latency of about 30 milliseconds.

full story:

Cheers Don...

===================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

2Mbps to 5Mbps upstream.

Nothing like what FTTP can do.

subscribers are seeing latency of about 30

Nothing like what FTTP can do.

Reply to
Rod Speed

2Mbps to 5Mbps upstream.

Nearly 06:00. You slept in again Rod! Did you bring a late note?

:-)

Cheers Don...

==========================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Don McKenzie wrote

Nope, YOU slept in and I commented on your post as soon as I saw it.

There were other posts from me well before that one commenting on your post in here alone.

Dont need one.

This is no laughing matter, and dont you forget it.

Reply to
Rod Speed

i.e. somewhat less than ADSL2 in the real world. Thats great if you are out and about with a laptop or iPad, but a bit light on for serious work.

Reply to
keithr

the first major commercial long-term

informal tests last year. Verizon

fully loaded network, individual subscribers

systems, so packets are less delayed. This

streaming video or working on a virtual

and says LTE subscribers are seeing

Theres nothing in this article that defines what a fully loaded network is . How many customers per Basestation. Wireless is a shared medium and the thruput is ultimately limited by customers per base station. and in reality , maximum thruput isnt limited by the technology, but by tower congestion. ie Carriers oversubscribing their networks. Ultimately, its economics that dictates maximum thruput, not the technology.

Reply to
Mauried

Such as?

Reply to
B J Foster

Anything more than browsing the odd web site.

Reply to
keithr

Can you be more specific?

Reply to
B J Foster

I'm kinda shocked you're the only one who mentioned this.

Under test conditions, anyone can make any product go like it shines out of god's arse.

Under real-life conditions, where it's deployed to many people, it's paid for out of a limited budget, and is used with sometimes entirely unpredictable conditions, environments, equipment AND end users, all bets are off.

--
What garlic is to salad, insanity is to art.
Reply to

Yeah, I used the Optus speed test from here (Germany) to the Sydney server on two occasions. Once I got a download speed of 6 Mbits/s, the second time it was only 550 kbits/s.

Reply to
fritz

John Tserkezis wrote

Don's article did.

god's arse.

Nope, its easy enought to test that too.

Reply to
Rod Speed

But that's part of the problem. They're selling this to us and quoting figures before it's even been installed.

OS installations are a better guide as to how it's going to go, though from what I remember, the early tests were touted as brilliant to everyone except the few end users who were testing it.

--
Hard work never killed anyone, but why chance it?
Reply to

John Tserkezis wrote

Nope.

Thats a lie. There is plenty of LTE installed world wide.

Yes, just because they arent in this country is irrelevant.

Irrelevant to how it actually performs with many using it at once.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Only if you know all the conditions. Some countries have comms that make ours seem absolutely magnificant and that includes many places in the USA.

Reply to
terryc