Five Things You Need to Know About LTE

1. It really is fast. TeliaSonera, the Swedish carrier that in 2009 launched the
first major commercial long-term
evolution (LTE) service, delivered an average downstream speed of 33.4Mbps in
informal tests last year. Verizon
Wireless, which is using narrower spectrum bands, estimates that even on a fully
loaded network, individual subscribers
will get between 5Mbps and 12Mbps downstream and about 2Mbps to 5Mbps upstream.

2. It has less delay. LTE networks have lower latency than earlier cellular
systems, so packets are less delayed. This
makes a difference when timing is important, such as when using voice over IP,
streaming video or working on a virtual
desktop. Verizon claims LTE cuts latency in half compared with its 3G network,
and says LTE subscribers are seeing
latency of about 30 milliseconds.

full story:
http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/377872/five_things_need_know_about_lte /

Cheers Don...

===================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Five Things You Need to Know About LTE

2Mbps to 5Mbps upstream.

Nothing like what FTTP can do.

subscribers are seeing latency of about 30

Nothing like what FTTP can do.

Re: Five Things You Need to Know About LTE
2Mbps to 5Mbps upstream.

Nearly 06:00.
You slept in again Rod!
Did you bring a late note?

:-)

Cheers Don...

==========================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Five Things You Need to Know About LTE

Nope, YOU slept in and I commented on your post as soon as I saw it.

There were other posts from me well before that one commenting on your post in
here alone.

Dont need one.

This is no laughing matter, and dont you forget it.

Re: Five Things You Need to Know About LTE

i.e. somewhat less than ADSL2 in the real world. Thats great if you are
out and about with a laptop or iPad, but a bit light on for serious work.

Re: Five Things You Need to Know About LTE

Such as?

Re: Five Things You Need to Know About LTE

Anything more than browsing the odd web site.

Re: Five Things You Need to Know About LTE

Can you be more specific?

Re: Five Things You Need to Know About LTE

the first major commercial long-term
informal tests last year. Verizon
fully loaded network, individual subscribers
systems, so packets are less delayed. This
streaming video or working on a virtual
and says LTE subscribers are seeing

Theres nothing in this article that defines what a fully loaded
network is .
How many customers per Basestation.
Wireless is a shared medium and the thruput is ultimately limited by
customers per base station. and in reality , maximum thruput isnt
limited by the technology, but by tower congestion.
ie Carriers oversubscribing their networks.
Ultimately, its economics that dictates maximum thruput, not the
technology.

Re: Five Things You Need to Know About LTE

 I'm kinda shocked you're the only one who mentioned this.

 Under test conditions, anyone can make any product go like it shines
out of god's arse.

 Under real-life conditions, where it's deployed to many people, it's
paid for out of a limited budget, and is used with sometimes entirely
unpredictable conditions, environments, equipment AND end users, all
bets are off.
--
What garlic is to salad, insanity is to art.

Re: Five Things You Need to Know About LTE

Yeah, I used the Optus speed test from here (Germany) to the
Sydney server on two occasions. Once I got a download speed
of 6 Mbits/s, the second time it was only 550 kbits/s.

Re: Five Things You Need to Know About LTE

Don's article did.

god's arse.

Nope, its easy enought to test that too.

Re: Five Things You Need to Know About LTE

 But that's part of the problem.  They're selling this to us and quoting
figures before it's even been installed.

 OS installations are a better guide as to how it's going to go, though
from what I remember, the early tests were touted as brilliant to
everyone except the few end users who were testing it.
--
Hard work never killed anyone, but why chance it?

Re: Five Things You Need to Know About LTE

Nope.

Thats a lie. There is plenty of LTE installed world wide.

Yes, just because they arent in this country is irrelevant.

Irrelevant to how it actually performs with many using it at once.

Re: Five Things You Need to Know About LTE

Only if you know all the conditions. Some countries have comms that make
ours seem absolutely magnificant and that includes many places in the USA.

Site Timeline