First light globes now plasmas

I really don't think losing 1kw TVs is a big loss.

Reply to
Michael C

I suppose depends on screen size, but my 42" LG "Only" draws 350w.

Reply to
keithr

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 14:37:22 +1100, keithr put finger to keyboard and composed:

Will SED fill the void?

"SED technology cuts the average power consumption to half of that of a PDP (plasma display panel) or two-thirds that of an LCD of comparable size, Toshiba added."

Wikipedia article:

Is now a good time to buy Canon shares?

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

OLEDS have been tipped to take over TV displays, if they can ever sort them out. I have seen a Sony OLED TV in action, the screen was only about 3mm deep and the picture was beautiful, but it was only about 12" screen size and the price was huge.

Keith

Reply to
keithr

What I don't get is that people in EU and in most modern counteries spend 3x as much $ on fuel as they do on electricity, yet so much focus is on reducing power consumption by insignificant amounts, while fuel consumption rarely changes.

Reply to
MisterE

Still a looong way to go, i changed some small graphic lcd's to oled's on some machinary in 2006, the elements deteriorated remarkably quickly, and we had to replace them back to lcd after only about a year.

Reply to
MisterE

That was more than 2 years ago, things do not stay static in electronics, I believe that the accepted life of current state of the art commercial blue OLEDs (blue has the shortest life span) is about

14000 hours, but they have achieved over 60000 hours in the lab. Progress marches on, perhaps they will perfect them for TV use perhaps not, I have long given up predicting which will be the most successful future technology.

Keith

Reply to
keithr

Good to see you put "only" in inverted commas :-)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Well it is better that the 1Kw guessed at above, but then my old 29" Sony Vega CRT set only drew 70w. It did, however weigh 50Kg which made it a real bastard to move around.

Anyway, I make up for it by having a heat pump hot water system.

Keith

Reply to
keithr

FYI Canon's SED partner Toshiba decided to concentrate on improvements to LCD panel technology for high end TV units. Things like The cell platform to improve processing power of the TV unit

"240Hz effect" refresh rate to help combat motion blur. LED backlight LCD panels to improve colour gamut and help with the green push. Showcased here on their unfortunately Flash site.

Fred

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 12:58:15 +1030, "Fred" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Did Toshiba desert SED for technical reasons, or for legal reasons?

"Also in December 2006, it was revealed that the delays in SED TV mass production were caused by litigation between Applied Nanotech, a subsidiary of Nano-Proprietary, and Canon. Nano-Proprietary claims that Canon broke an exclusivity agreement by sharing information related to electron emissions from carbon nanotubes with Toshiba.

On January 12, 2007, Toshiba announced an agreement by which Canon will purchase all of Toshiba's outstanding share of the SED joint venture, in order to satisfy Nano-Proprietary's complaints."

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 06:42:53 +1000, "MisterE" put finger to keyboard and composed:

I believe this article was written before 2005:

The author writes ...

"Color ? The reliability of the OLED is still not up to par. After a month of use, the screen becomes nonuniform. Reds, and blues die first, leaving a very green display. 100,000 hours for red, 30,000 for green and 1,000 for blue. Good enough for cell phones, but not laptop or desktop displays."

BTW, I can't see how "100,000 hours for red, 30,000 for green" can be correct if "reds and blues die first".

Does anyone know what the state of OLED technology is today?

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar