First light globes now plasmas

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/environment/eu-to-ban-plasma-televisions-in-battle-against-climate-change-14136817.html

Re: First light globes now plasmas
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/environment/eu-to-ban-plasma-televisions-in-battle-against-climate-change-14136817.html

I really don't think losing 1kw TVs is a big loss.

Re: First light globes now plasmas
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/environment/eu-to-ban-plasma-televisions-in-battle-against-climate-change-14136817.html

I suppose depends on screen size, but my 42" LG "Only" draws 350w.

Re: First light globes now plasmas

Good to see you put "only" in inverted commas :-)

MrT.

Re: First light globes now plasmas

Well it is better that the 1Kw guessed at above, but then my old 29"
Sony Vega CRT set only drew 70w. It did, however weigh 50Kg which made
it a real bastard to move around.

Anyway, I make up for it by having a heat pump hot water system.

Keith

Re: First light globes now plasmas
finger to keyboard and composed:

Will SED fill the void?
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050907PR210.html

"SED technology cuts the average power consumption to half of that of
a PDP (plasma display panel) or two-thirds that of an LCD of
comparable size, Toshiba added."

Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-conduction_Electron-emitter_Display

Is now a good time to buy Canon shares?

- Franc Zabkar

Re: First light globes now plasmas
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/environment/eu-to-ban-plasma-televisions-in-battle-against-climate-change-14136817.html

OLEDS have been tipped to take over TV displays, if they can ever sort
them out. I have seen a Sony OLED TV in action, the screen was only
about 3mm deep and the picture was beautiful, but it was only about 12"
screen size and the price was huge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED

Keith

Re: First light globes now plasmas

Still a looong way to go, i changed some small graphic lcd's to oled's on
some machinary in 2006, the elements deteriorated remarkably quickly, and we
had to replace them back to lcd after only about a year.

Re: First light globes now plasmas

That was more than 2 years ago, things do not stay static in
electronics, I believe that the accepted life of current state of the
art commercial blue OLEDs (blue has the shortest life span) is about
14000 hours, but they have achieved over 60000 hours in the lab.
Progress marches on, perhaps they will perfect them for TV use perhaps
not, I have long given up predicting which will be the most successful
future technology.

Keith

Re: First light globes now plasmas
finger to keyboard and composed:

I believe this article was written before 2005:
http://komar.cs.stthomas.edu/qm425/01s/tollefsrud2.htm

The author writes ...

"Color The reliability of the OLED is still not up to par.  After a
month of use, the screen becomes nonuniform.  Reds, and blues die
first, leaving a very green display.  100,000 hours for red, 30,000
for green and 1,000 for blue.  Good enough for cell phones, but not
laptop or desktop displays."

BTW, I can't see how "100,000 hours for red, 30,000 for green" can be
correct if "reds and blues die first".

Does anyone know what the state of OLED technology is today?

- Franc Zabkar

Re: First light globes now plasmas
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/environment/eu-to-ban-plasma-televisions-in-battle-against-climate-change-14136817.html

FYI Canon's SED partner Toshiba decided to concentrate on improvements to
LCD panel technology for high end TV units.
Things like
The cell platform to improve processing power of the TV unit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_ (microprocessor)
"240Hz effect" refresh rate to help combat motion blur.
LED backlight LCD panels to improve colour gamut and help with the green
push.
Showcased here on their unfortunately Flash site.
http://www.regzalcdtv.com/

Re: First light globes now plasmas
finger to keyboard and composed:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/environment/eu-to-ban-plasma-televisions-in-battle-against-climate-change-14136817.html

Did Toshiba desert SED for technical reasons, or for legal reasons?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-conduction_Electron-emitter_Display#Nano-Proprietary_Lawsuit

"Also in December 2006, it was revealed that the delays in SED TV mass
production were caused by litigation between Applied Nanotech, a
subsidiary of Nano-Proprietary, and Canon. Nano-Proprietary claims
that Canon broke an exclusivity agreement by sharing information
related to electron emissions from carbon nanotubes with Toshiba.

On January 12, 2007, Toshiba announced an agreement by which Canon
will purchase all of Toshiba's outstanding share of the SED joint
venture, in order to satisfy Nano-Proprietary's complaints."

- Franc Zabkar

Re: First light globes now plasmas

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/environment/eu-to-ban-plasma-televisions-in-battle-against-climate-change-14136817.html

What I don't get is that people in EU and in most modern counteries spend 3x
as much $ on fuel as they do on electricity, yet so much focus is on
reducing power consumption by insignificant amounts, while fuel consumption
rarely changes.

Site Timeline