Finding the phone demarcation point

I need to install an ADSL filter which means finding the phone demarcation point. The roof space is a maze of wires - phone and alarm. Is there a standard location for the phone demarcation point, or could it be anywhere? The house was built in the late 60's.

Mike

Reply to
Mike B

Mike,

If you have restricted or open cable registration you would know the answer to this question so why ask it here? If of course you hold neither of these qualifications I would respectfully suggest you get a registered cabler to install your ADSL filter (central splitter).

If you don't have a monitored alarm system installed in the premises (mode 3 socket) and you don't have more than five phones / faxes / answering machines / dial up modems (i.e. voice telecommunications equipment) you might want to go with installing in-line ADSL filters with each non-ADSL device. You don't need to be or commission a registered cabler to do this type of work.

Download this - it's the good oil

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

In a residence - the incoming line from the street usually will just go to a phone socket. This cable is usually black sheathed - where the indoor cable is the everyday cream coloured sheath. (I don't know if they still used the black sheath cable back in the 60's though.)

If there is an alarm dialler - then there will be a phone socket near the control box for the alarm system. This will HAVE to be the first socket in the system and this must be also filtered by the ADSL filter.

Its also possible - that if the black sheathed cable has been used in a house of that era - that its been cut at some point and diverted to the alarm socket too - so be careful.

I dont believe in hiding knowlege from people

Reply to
KLR

Your assuming that it is a mode 3 and in turn that everything is installed correctly :-)

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin

I've got ADSL, and just installed a filter on each of the points where there's a telephone and an answering machine. The modem just plugs into the remaining ADSL port on the filter. It all works fine.

Reply to
dmm

If you have more than 5 non-adsl devices on the line, filters won't work properly .. Sometimes other reasons can prohibit using filters too .. also, cost-wise (assuming you can install it yourself) its sometimes cheaper..

[ VIDGuide.com ] [ Irdeto Card Sharing Resources & Other Sat TV Interests ]
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Lord-Data

The dialer does appear to be mode 3, and has a plug and socket on the side (master socket ?). Unplugging the plug kills the dial tone at the various room phone points.

There's one phone cable from the alarm control panel that disappears towards the outside wall in the general direction of the main switchboard, presumably to the "network termination device". Another phone line from the same general area runs to a star junction with cables radiating in the direction of the various rooms in the house.

Research suggests that the cable should run from the "network termination device" (NTD) to the Mode 3 socketed alarm panel, back to the NTD via the same cable and then from the NTD to the rest of the house.

According to the current regulations, the NTD is supposed to be no higher that

1.8m above ground level. Assuming this rule applied in the late 60's and in the absence of any visible internal or external wall mounted boxes or panels, I can only assume that the NTD is behind the mains switchboard panel, which is the last place I would of thought.

I'm not going to touch this panel for love nor money, so I'll leave this one to the professionals.

Mike

Reply to
Mike B

Hi Mike,

In the 60's the phone line probably came into the house and terminated on a black bakelite terminal strip then onto the first socket which would have been a 610 socket. In the 60's there was no such thing as a Mode 3 socket so those wiring arrangements are relatively recent. Within recent times the A2A regulation allows cablers with open registration to shift or relocate the original first-in socket (generally the network boundary in a residential or small business premises pre NTD days) to facilitate such installations that require an ADSL central splitter and Mode 3 socket.

The latest NTDEs are a light brown hinged plastic box mounted (generally) on the outside wall of the house. Older NTDs could be a grey coloured version of the above without termination module inside or a small grey IP67 enclosure (Luca box).

I applaud your decision to leave the re-wiring arrangements to a registered cabler. Just make sure whoever you get to do the work is ADSL savvy. Ask to see their registration card before you let them commence work in your premises. On completion of the work ask the installer for a TCA1 form which details all the work he/ she has done on your premises. The regulations are in place for your protection as well as other people working on the network. Besides risking a BIG $$$$$ fine isn't worth the hassle, and if you stuff it up Telstra will charge you to repair anything you damage on their side of the network boundary.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

the

the

Get a quote , and then when you get over that go buy some individual filters , whole sale price is $7.50 inc tax .

Reply to
Fester