Finally, Death of the 3.5 inch floppy disk

Sony to discontinue 3.5 inch floppy disk
April 24, 11:34 PMJapan Headlines ExaminerJoshua Williams

Sony announced on April 23rd that they will be discontinuing sales of
the classic 3.5 inch floppy disk in Japan in 2011. The news marks a
major end to a nearly three decade history of the disk type that the
company helped to pioneer.

According to Sony, they introduced the 3.5 inch floppy disk size to the
world in 1981, and began sales within Japan in 1983. Sony had shipped
approximately 47 million disks within the country at its peak around the
year 2000, but that number had fallen to around 8.5 million by 2009,
Sankei News reported.

http://www.examiner.com/x-16352-Japan-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m4d24-Sony-to-discontinue-35-inch-floppy-disk-in-Japan

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Finally, Death of the 3.5 inch floppy disk

Hardly "death of the 3.5 inch floppy disk" to announce that one vendor
will stop making them. Even 5.25" DSDD media and some 8" formats are
still in production, as well as 3" flippies.

Re: Finally, Death of the 3.5 inch floppy disk

Hi Lewin,

Considering Sony produced the first 3.5" floppies, and currently hold
70% of the world market, and many other manufacturers have pulled the
plug, I would say death is very close to describing what the usage will
be in 2011.

Some people still go to drive-in cinemas, use Betamax video format,
rotary dial phones, and Edison wax cylinders, so these aren't dead either.

Only thing that is really dead, are people that fall off the perch. :-)

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Finally, Death of the 3.5 inch floppy disk

They still charge us a 'service fee' on the phone bill if we opt for touch
tone service.

Re: Finally, Death of the 3.5 inch floppy disk

Just a thought.
How many kids 15 or under would know what a rotary dial is, or ever used
one?

Then, how many kids 15 or under, have ever written, or read a file
to/from a 3.5" floppy?.

Not a lot I would think.
I can't remember when I last used a floppy, must be many years. Would
have been to prop up a short leg on a table. :-)

Footnote **
I laugh when the little ones of today, have to look at the back of your
camera, after you take a picture. What did we do before they put the
screen there?

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Finally, Death of the 3.5 inch floppy disk

Most people waited 3 months to get their film processed before they found
out he photo was no good!
Digital camera's have at least seen a rise in people thinking about what
they have shot. Unfortunately camera phones have seen a fall in the quality
of many of those "photo's".

MrT.

Re: Finally, Death of the 3.5 inch floppy disk

Yeah, unless it was steam, that one of Lara was quite blurry.

Re: Finally, Death of the 3.5 inch floppy disk

I have stashed away 3-1/2" disks and also 5-1/4" floppies. In production
the lifetime of machines is often many decades and there are numerous
machines that will not be re-programmable via any other means.

Until recently we paid an extra tax via the phone bill to finance the
Spanish-American war which AFAIK ended in 1898 ...

We learned how to take good photographs, in my case I took classes.
Because the cost of a 24 or 36 roll of 35mm film (or 12 exposures in the
6cm by 6cm days) was rather substantial and you could not waste any of
it. So we spent some time getting the lighting right, making sure
everything else was just right, and so on. Often there was no chance to
re-take a shot because you would not know until several days later
whether the result was ok or not.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Finally, Death of the 3.5 inch floppy disk

I'm sure I don't need to start hoarding them the way I hoard DSDD
5.25" and SSSD soft-sectored 8" media though :)

You've been peeking in my windows again! Except that I don't have a
landline. But anyway - I think the only item you have on that list
that isn't in active production is the drive-in theater, so you're
right, they're not dead.

Quiz: Which music format showed the greater percentage sales growth in
2009; was it (a) Compact Disk - Digital Audio, or (b) stereo vinyl 33
1/3rpm LP?

Re: Finally, Death of the 3.5 inch floppy disk

(c) Digital music downloads.
(d) Music DVD's

Vinyl rose from a *VERY* small base, and CD's fell due to digital downloads
and DVD's.

Once again proving that unqualified statistics prove nothing at all!

MrT.

Re: Finally, Death of the 3.5 inch floppy disk

I explicitly did not include digital downloads for obvious reasons. I
consider all physical media formats equally obsolete, so obviously it
doesn't make sense to measure buggy whip sales against gasoline sales.

BTW, I refuse to believe the music DVD one - I've never even SEEN a
music DVD. It's like SACD; it's an acronym, there were/are devices
that can play them, but they're a mythical unicorn format.

Re: Finally, Death of the 3.5 inch floppy disk

Yes you appeared to be making an invalid point.

How silly, even digital downloads must end up on some "physical media
format", even if it's a hard drive.
And IF you consider vinyl to be analogous to buggy whips, why the silly quiz
in the first place?

Now that's *really* silly. I have about a hundred, and there are *many*
thousands currently available.

MrT.

Re: Finally, Death of the 3.5 inch floppy disk

No, you just seem to be unwilling to think about what I was saying.

That's even more ridiculous. You do not buy digital downloads as a
sector on your hard drive that is received and glued onto the platter,
you buy the information download. You can delete your personal copy
and redownload it later. In some cases you never actually download it
in the sense of "for storage locally", you just stream it from an
online library on demand.

By your argument, we should be considering the purchase of CD wallets
as part of the CD sales process. And perhaps the purchase of whatever
media were used to master the album originally.

LOL. I could say the same thing about my collection of 78rpm records.
SACD and audio DVD are primarily an attempt by the music industry to
get rid of CDs because CDs have no DRM.

Re: Finally, Death of the 3.5 inch floppy disk

And that was what exactly???  That vinyl sales have increased from next to
nothing to slightly more than nothing. So what? Compared to their sales 30
years ago many would claim they are still effectively dead.

What, that you've never seen one, or they don't exist?

No argument there. However I said music DVD's, not DVDA or SACD.

MrT.

Re: Finally, Death of the 3.5 inch floppy disk

WOW, still 8.5 million sales in 2009 from one company alone!  So far from
dead then.

MrT.

Re: Finally, Death of the 3.5 inch floppy disk

Let's assume a retail price of 50c a pop. And that's a lot because that
is what I paid in the early 90's for top quality disks. This would be
$4.25 million in gross revenue. In the world of big corporations that
generates a long-stretched yawn, followed by the drop of the axe.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Finally, Death of the 3.5 inch floppy disk

 Someone forgot to tell microsoft.

 The only way to load device drivers (drive interfaces, SCSI drivers
etc) when installing windows is via the drive at A:.  And that's your
only option.

 Short of creating a magical alternate boot install CD/DVD for every new
model of box we get.  Not looking forward to it.

Re: Finally, Death of the 3.5 inch floppy disk

On Apr 27, 10:56A0%am, John Tserkezis

Actually, rumour has it, this is not the case in the two latest
revisions of their OS.  I say rumour as I have not ever tried
installing one of these latest creations -- the one Windows Vista
machine I used had it preloaded, and I've never touched Windows 7.

But yes, you make a valid point ... and I shall make a note to stock
up on 3.5" floppy disks while they're easily available, as some of the
ones I have at home are slowly decaying with age.

Re: Finally, Death of the 3.5 inch floppy disk

Server 2003 needs the floppy drive to load SCSI and SAS drivers, there
is no option to read from a USB device.

I'll soon be installing Server 2008 and we'll see if the floppy is still
needed.

Re: Finally, Death of the 3.5 inch floppy disk

 No idea about Vista, but have installed Win7 several times so far, and
yes, your only option is F6 to look at drive A:.

 Indeed.  I've never had much luck with the longevity of 3.5" disks.
They simply do not last.  And, owning to the fact we don't use them too
often, (we get boxs with newfanged interfaces when we're least expecting
it) we grab the first disk that's been kicking around in cabinet here.
After we go through several bad ones, we throw them out to find there
are none left.

 As I said, we can create a custom boot disk, this is very doable, but
we could have that box up and running in several minutes verses lots more.

 Contrary to popular belief we DO have more important things to do than
screw around with installs that don't like to play with the other children.

Site Timeline