Fibre - Page 3

Re: Fibre
On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 02:59:55 +1100, "Rod Speed"

I meant  ADSL2+ should be the same as FttN depending on copper wire to
house connection.

I think I'm supposed to be on 50Mbs but only getting half that.
--
Petzl

Re: Fibre
On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 18:13:10 +1100, "Rod Speed"

NBN or whoever have even replaced the 2nd hand pillar they originally
used.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50667687/NBNcabnet2.jpg
The "new" one is painted silver
The bill from Telstra only name the "plan" not to details there
"verbal's" said I would be on a down speed, promised was at 50Mb/s.
--
Petzl

Re: Fibre

There should still be some ID label on it unless someone
has fucked up and its still got the temporary cover.

The only guarantee is for 25Mb and that is only after the coexistence
period which happens for 18 months. Until then the only guarantee is 12/1

Re: Fibre
On 24/12/2016 3:47 PM, F Murtz wrote:

<snip>

Must be a piss poor bundle - or cheap.

I have bundled internet and home phone with untimed local and national
calls, even to mobiles regardless of provider. The only calls I pay for
are 1300 numbers and that's generally a flat fee, at least it is with
the numbers I call.

<snip>

--

Xeno

First they ignore you,
Re: Fibre
It is telstra in an area where they are the only option (till now with
NBN soon)It is $80.00 200gb(they may have upped it)ADSL2+ All calls
timed,with these phenomenal speeds
Ranging from this

  http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5581014128

To this
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5825905936

They wont see me for dust very soon when the NBN deign to switch on
their already laid fibre.

Re: Fibre

You must have been on the very extreme end of the 02 Zone. In Melbourne,
the zones did not extend that far out from the Melbourne CBD. That's
likely because there's not much *east* of Sydney central before you get
rather wet.  ;-)

<snip>

--

Xeno

First they ignore you,
Re: Fibre

I lived in the 03 Zone in suburban Melbourne, first in Armadale, then
later in Nunawading. Back when I had my first home phone installed, I
could ring anyone in the 03 zone for an untimed local call. You might
note that the 03 Zone covered a huge are back in 1980. We could call St
Albans on 03, Belgrave on 03, Dandenong, Frankston, Greensborough and
many more outer urban areas all on 03. To ring anyone outside this area
into a 0xx zone meant timed local calls at a rate that varied according
to the distance each was from the 03 zone. The adjacent 0xx zone call
charge rate wasn't huge but it was enough to give you cause to limit
your conversations. I don't recall if someone just over the boundary, as
in your case, was dealt with in the same manner but I suspect it was as
you say. All of my friends in the 0xx zones were well over the boundary.

However, and this is where the confusion arises in the minds of some,
the 03 zone was eventually divided up into *Neighbourhood Zones*. These
zones were all still 03 *but* the tariff system changed. I remained in
the inner NH Zone. Some friends in St Albans ended up in the Western(?)
NH Zone, some other friend in Ferntree Gully ended up int the Eastern(?)
NH Zone. I could ring either for an untimed local call and they could
ring me on the same deal since we were on *adjacent neighbourhood
zones*. However, if the people in Ferntree Gully wanted to ring the
people in St Albans, that was a *timed local call* because their zones
were separated by the inner zone. They were not adjacent. The call rate
was not huge but it did stop people using internet modems from leaving
them permanently connected if their provider was in a non-adjacent zone.
I think that may have been one of the motivations, apart from the
obvious one of increased revenue raising. I recall that *Telecom* back
in the days was always on about untimed local calls being a problem. I
can see that it would since people were just starting to connect to the
internet with dialup modems in a big way and tying up the limited number
of inter-exchange lines available. The problem with the system was that
you received no indication that it was a timed local call - no STD pips.
If you weren't privy to the existence of Neighbourhood Zones, you
suddenly ended up with larger than expected phone bills.

The Neighbourhood zones were always published in a map located, IIRC, in
the front section of the White Pages and there was some publicity at the
time of the introduction of the zones.

It's all moot these days since untimed calls, even national, have become
the norm nowadays. I've been on untimed national call plans for some
time and, prior to that, I was on a 99 cent cap for a set period. the
choice of set periods was 20 minutes, 1 hour or 3 hours. I always chose
the 1 hour period. If you went over your set cap, timed rates applied
and, since I was always calling interstate, it didn't take long to rack
up 10 or 20 dollars in the next hour. Solution was to hang up and redial
after, say, 59 minutes and get another hour for 99 cents.

<snip>

--

Xeno

First they ignore you,