Fibre

It is all thumb twiddling and testing now, apparently it has been
connected and has been for ages, just waiting,maybe just a month or so
for them to try it all out before they give it to us.

Re: Fibre

So what happened ?

You don?t see too much activity at all here now, tho there are
still a few pillars with the temporary covers with the long handles
down each side. Looks unlikely we will be seeing anything before
Xmas. Maybe they don?t have enough testers or something.

First sign of any activity was 12-Aug, that still gives a full month
to go if mine is as slow as Keith's was, 5 months in his case.

Re: Fibre

nuffin yet

Re: Fibre

Just had someone whining in the local facebook group that Telstra
has refused to fix a phone fault because the NBN is imminent here,

Re: Fibre
On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 05:12:41 +1100, "Rod Speed"

How "imminent" is it you saw something happen months ago.
but nothing seems to of moved?
Like Sydney's light rail still not past the good coffee shop in Martin
place after two years now?
Light rail have made a big deal about actually laying some track on
George St between Park St and Bathurst St?
Meant to start at Circular Quay, this strip is around the length on
ones property (probably dig it up again, more fake news by "our media"
paid for by politicians)
--
Petzl

Re: Fibre

Currently predicted to be next month, Jan.

Which fits with what Keith saw, we still have one month to go before
we have the same 5 months from starting to available he got.

Yes, first visible activity, digging the holes
for the nodes/green boxes was 12-Aug.

There was lots of visible activity for 3 months. In the first couple
of weeks they were digging the holes for the green boxes with
mid sized trucks and then putting those on their own concrete
pads with multiple poly pipes to the relatively adjacent pillar.

Then for about 2 months after that there were usually white vans
parked near the boxes and monkeys fiddling with the wires in one
end. I spoke to one of them when he was doing that and you could
see that he was terminating the multicore cable on the vertical panel
up the entire narrow section in one of the green boxes. I said 'the
electronics is down there presumably', pointing to the rest of the
box which had the door still closed on it and he said 'yep'.

Sometimes the van was parked beside an existing pit with
a monkey or two in the pit. Wasn't obvious what they were
doing down there when I stopped and talked to one of them.

There hasn't been as much activity in the last month but you
do sometimes see someone down another prexisting pit still.

Some of the pillars still have temporary covers on them,
with long handles right down each side. But at least one
of them actually has the usual lettering on it so it may
not actually be a temporary cover anymore.

Sure, but that is obviously a lot more work that with the NBN.

How long did it take for the existing light rail to get done ?

Not that useful into tho because it went along the old rail
right of way, particularly when it got out past the edge of
the CBD out where the PowerHouse Museum is.

Re: Fibre

About three weeks ago I saw some one having a snooze near our node with
his head resting on a small pit between node and a pole and jumped when
I came up, he pretended to talk down the pit then he said he was
connecting power to node box.

Re: Fibre

Interesting point, it isnt at all obvious how the power gets to the node
box.

None of ours have any connection to the mains poles.

Re: Fibre
On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 08:25:39 +1100, "Rod Speed"

You might be getting Fibre to the Home (FttH)?
Our power is underground with home power supply conneted through base
of Street Light Pole. The Same power source for Node.
--
Petzl

Re: Fibre

Nope, its definitely FTTN.

Ours isnt in this particular part of the town.

The part of the town that does have underground
power has green pillar things which are square roughly
every second house. Not that high, about 300mm

Yeah, but given we have overhead mains in my street, there
should be some obvious connection to that and there isnt.

Tho come to think of it, they did have a bucket truck at the
pole mounted big transformer across the road from the node.
I spose they likely did mole it under the road and its powered
from there. Must have a close look at the pole the transformer
is on, it should be visible up that pole if that's how its powered.

Re: Fibre
[snipped]

I don't know what type of FttH you guys are using but here in NZ we use a
'PON' Passive Optical Network (GPON to be exact). It only needs power at the
home and the exchange. In ground plitters etc. are passive, no power
required.
--
Shaun.

Re: Fibre

Allegedly its available today in my part of town.

I'd just decided that they weren't going to do that on the
day before Xmas Eve but they have just dumped me face
down in the mud on that apparently.

Re: Fibre

It does appear to be available today at my place.

I was originally planning to stay with dodo until my contract ran out,
8 months @ $24/month break fee. Not attractive in the long term,
myrepublic.net is much better value for 100/40 unlimited, $60, dodo
wants $100 for that. Dodo will allow you to change to the NBN with
no contract penalty, but that involves a whole new 2 year contract.

Dodo's retention people could only offer me $95/month but were
happy to halve the break fee to just $99.

I signed up with myreplublic.net, but that froze on the final screen.
Rang them, but have now been on hold for 25 mins.

Re: Fibre
I just ran my address through NBN and it said estimated start Jan 2017

Re: Fibre

They did eventually answer the phone, had no record
of the online signup so I signed up on the phone.

Re: Fibre
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 15:16:17 +1100, "Rod Speed"

I only found FttN was available by checking online
About a month later letters started arriving from ISP's of offers.
Also had problems for Telstra to give me correct bill always over
charged by around $10. Took them months to give me a TV modem which I
use for programs I miss not paying for any Netflix etc.
--
Petzl

Re: Fibre

Mate of mine found a big Telstra van down the main street today
and asked them when it would be available. He said today in half
the town and a couple more weeks in the other half.

We've been having those for months now, mostly from iprimus and
someone else I can't remember. None from dodo or telstra tho even
tho I have used both in the past and currently use dodo.

Havent used them for more than a decade now. I did use them
when adsl first showed up, basically in case there were problems.

Re: Fibre
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 21:32:24 +1100, "Rod Speed"

Well I hated Telecom to ring across the road was a toll cal (046) to
(02) when we were allowed to use Optus I changed.
Problem here is like all bureaucracies they can't or won't fire
dickheads instead they sent them to Sydney's furtherest outpost.
A legacy of this was bodged copperwire instalation.
While waiting for phone in 80's to be installed they would park near
the pub all day. When it was pissing down with rain they might show up
to apoligize that it was too wett.
The house was wired while being built and no reason why the phone
should not of been ready when we moved in.

With the phone we got it was crackly and pretty bad even for modem.

Seems everyone was complaing, the local paper gave the email address
of a service manager (but had to sign up to Telstra) who selected his
own "techs" who found my phone wired wrong in less than 10 minutes.
This was after years and 1000's of "techs" who never fixed my bad
phone connection (like Jehovah witness knocking at your door all the
time)
--
Petzl

Re: Fibre

That's not true. Same or adjacent zone is a local call.

I call shenanigans on all theistic religions

Re: Fibre
On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 22:41:49 +1100, Lucifer Morningstar

Wasn't when Telecom was in charge 1980's.
infact a timber sawmill  Leumeah had two phones one end 02 the other
end 046

There was a stage where there were temporary movements/period, for a
while it went to 50 cents unlimited to break into the 02 barrier, but
didn't last long.

Calling Botany 02 for 15 minutes cost $15 in 2010's.
046 Campbelltown to Sydney 02.
Now to call via Skype to Japan Tokyo for around an hour cost me a
dollar.

Now with NBN calls nationwaide mobile and landline are free.
--
Petzl

Site Timeline