Faulty sound card?

Acer Extensa 2350 xp home

Before I go any further, I am aware that the sound card
for the Acer is on the mainboard, not stand alone.

I cant get a microphone to work thru the 3.5" phone jack.

No problem using usb microphone.

Where is the problem likely to be?

Does the usb mic use the "sound card" as such?

Driver problem? Can't see anything obvious in
"Device Manager" Sound and video controllers.

Any  suggestions ....Ian

Re: Faulty sound card?

Start at the beginning, is the mic known good?  Does it work on other
equipment?
Is the plug making contact correctly with the jack?  Is there an open in a
motherboard
trace to the sound chip?  Do the line-in jacks work?  Is the mic an electret
type?  Is the
mic being supplied with a voltage?  Is that polarity correct?    Some board
can redefine
the jacks for surround sound audio...check for this.  If there is a
secondary front panel
mic jack, is it causing the problem?

Let us know what you find...

Re: Faulty sound card?

Forgot to mention Acer is a laptop

Re: Faulty sound card?

Selected the correct input?
Removed mute in the mixer
Turned up the volume in the mixer??

How many options for the mic?

Re: Faulty sound card?

Forgot to mentio ACER is a Laptop
Only input other than USB

Done, Done.

Have tried them all, Bluetooth, Logitech (usb)(works on usb)

Re: Faulty sound card?

Naah, in the software settings.
Could be set to a midi* input or some such stuff.
More likely MS driver vs acer driver.

Re: Faulty sound card?

It's totally separate, driver and hardware wise. It is a form of "sound
card" in itself (same with USB headphones).

Regards,

Ross..

Re: Faulty sound card?

Is this a microphone that was supplied with the Acer or is it from
some other source?

It contains its own "sound card"

most soundcards expect an electret microphone, if yours is a dynamic
microphone you may need to shout real loud before anything
registers through the soundcard,

Re: Faulty sound card?

Drivers.  I had this same painful problem with an ASUS mother board
(actually 2 of the same model) last year. Microphone was connected
properly, (and the sound "control panel" detected the mic and said it
was connected) and it was a mic designed for PC use but it refused to
register any sound into the PC or even on the "test" screen in the
audio control panel.

I think that updating the driver was the fix in the end.

Re: Faulty sound card?