Faulty sound card?

Acer Extensa 2350 xp home

Before I go any further, I am aware that the sound card for the Acer is on the mainboard, not stand alone.

I cant get a microphone to work thru the 3.5" phone jack.

No problem using usb microphone.

Where is the problem likely to be?

Does the usb mic use the "sound card" as such?

Driver problem? Can't see anything obvious in "Device Manager" Sound and video controllers.

Any suggestions ....Ian

Reply to
Ian_

Start at the beginning, is the mic known good? Does it work on other equipment? Is the plug making contact correctly with the jack? Is there an open in a motherboard trace to the sound chip? Do the line-in jacks work? Is the mic an electret type? Is the mic being supplied with a voltage? Is that polarity correct? Some board can redefine the jacks for surround sound audio...check for this. If there is a secondary front panel mic jack, is it causing the problem?

Let us know what you find...

Reply to
Lord Garth

Selected the correct input? Removed mute in the mixer Turned up the volume in the mixer??

How many options for the mic?

Reply to
terryc

Forgot to mentio ACER is a Laptop Only input other than USB

Done, Done.

Have tried them all, Bluetooth, Logitech (usb)(works on usb)

Reply to
Ian_

Forgot to mention Acer is a laptop

Reply to
Ian_

Naah, in the software settings. Could be set to a midi* input or some such stuff. More likely MS driver vs acer driver.

Reply to
terryc

It's totally separate, driver and hardware wise. It is a form of "sound card" in itself (same with USB headphones).

Regards,

Ross..

Reply to
Ross Vumbaca

Is this a microphone that was supplied with the Acer or is it from some other source?

It contains its own "sound card"

most soundcards expect an electret microphone, if yours is a dynamic microphone you may need to shout real loud before anything registers through the soundcard,

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Drivers. I had this same painful problem with an ASUS mother board (actually 2 of the same model) last year. Microphone was connected properly, (and the sound "control panel" detected the mic and said it was connected) and it was a mic designed for PC use but it refused to register any sound into the PC or even on the "test" screen in the audio control panel.

I think that updating the driver was the fix in the end.

Reply to
KR

Ian_